Thread: How to wire up PLX Wideband Controller with Narrowband Simulation

Tuner

How to wire up PLX Wideband Controller with Narrowband Simulation

Well I got the PLX narrowband simulation working perfectly fine now. Using a PLX wideband controller and HPT tuner this is how I did it in my 2000 Buick Regal.

Being I have a stainless exhaust system I didn't want to deal with having to weld another bung into my exhaust. Also with the size piping and being I have a catalytic converter I have very limited space to even put another bung hole. So I took my stock 02 sensor out and put the wideband in its place while using the PLX to simulate the narrowband signal.

Normally with the PLX unit if you are going to be simulating the narrowband they say to use resisters to simulate the heating of the 02 sensor. This is so you don’t get any error codes from the PCM. Well being I have an HP tuner I decided not to do the resister simulation and just deleted the error codes dealing with the heating of the 02 sensor which worked out perfectly fine.

Labeled #1 in the picture above is the power/ground for the PLX controller. My 2000 Regal has an accessory power drop. So I connected the units power/ground wire to that.

The PLX unit has a 4 wire Analog connector which is labeled #2 in the picture above. Starting at the top left and working my way across the 4 pin connection is like this

Pin 1 (Top Left)
    - 3.3 Volt I think it used for hooking up PLX WB gauge for power?
    Pin 2 (Top Right) - Narrowband simulation which goes to your cars stock 02 purple signal wire (on GM cars)
    Pin 3 (Lower Left) - Ground which I connected to #5 ground port on the HP tuners EIO connector which is pictured below
    Pin 4 (Lower Right) - WB Signal output that I connected to #1 A/D Input 1 on the EIO connector pictured below

When I first powered the unit up the wideband function was working on my car. However the narrowband simulation was not working and according to the HP tuner the 02 voltage was a constant 447 instead of cycling on/off. Originally the only wire I touched on the cars stock 02 harness was the purple signal wire which I connected to the narrowband simulation spot on the PLX controller.

After some research and messing around with the setup I figured out the problem.

If you look at the picture above that is what a GM 4 pin heated 02 sensor connector looks like.

Here is the pin out information from my GM service manual:

Pin A (Tan)
    = Heated 02 sensor 1 Low (Ground for 02 signal)
    Pin B (Purple) = Geated 02 sensor 1 Signal (Signal from 02 sensor)
    Pin C (Black) = Ground (Ground for heated 02 sensor)
    Pin D (Brown) = Fused Output - Ign 1 (Power for heated 02 sensor)

Like I said above I only touched the Pin B purple signal wire on the original 02 harness. However I found out that Pin A the tan color wire is the ground for the 02 signal (the purple wire). So pretty much because I didn’t have that Tan wire grounded the 02 signal circuit was not complete. So I connected Pin A the Tan wire to Pin C the black wire which grounded the tan wire out. I left Pin D Brown wire alone because I am not using the heated 02 circuit anymore.

Break down of what I said above:

1.) Pin B Purple wire goes to Narrowband input on PLX Controller
    2.) Pin A Tan wire goes to Pin C Black wire to ground 02 signal
    3.) Pin D Brown wire is left disconnected unless you do resister simulation

After grounding that Tan wire out my Narrowband 02 voltage in my HPT started cycling on/off. Now I can finally start wideband tuning my car!

I hope this guide helps some people out if they want to run the narrowband simulation using the PLX wideband unit.
    Last edited by GeforceXtreme; 02-20-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Potential Tuner
    That's great work. Thank you so much for your valuable post.

Potential Tuner
    Very nice. Thank you. I am hooking my PLX in my GTP later in the month. I'm glad I don't have to find a place to get a bung welded in.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the post. Great info!

Tuner
    Been trying to figure this one out myself except using the LM-1. It is scalable, I am just not smart enough to understand and figure it out. Just curious, did you just hard wire or did you actually rig a plug to mate the PLX sensor to the GM harness. I gotta go read your post again to see if I understand. Nice writeup.
    Last edited by corpsvette; 05-10-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Potential Tuner
    I think this forum has not had much information yet. Anyone who visits this forum should give their idea to support it. Thank you very much
    simulation credit

Potential Tuner
    interesting. thanks for sharing

simulation rachat de credit

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GeforceXtreme View Post
    When I first powered the unit up the wideband function was working on my car. However the narrowband simulation was not working and according to the HP tuner the 02 voltage was a constant 447 instead of cycling on/off. Originally the only wire I touched on the cars stock 02 harness was the purple signal wire which I connected to the narrowband simulation spot on the PLX controller.
    I was having this same problem until today. I thought that was the issue, then I found this post - sure enough it works now.

Thanks for the help!
    2000 Camaro SS
    226/232 .609/.604 113+4* cam
    American Racing Longtube headers, catted-y, GMMG
    ls6 intake

Potential Tuner
    Thank u so much for ur sharing.

simulation credit

Potential Tuner
    I left Pin D Brown wire alone because I am not using the heated 02 circuit anymore.
    sonnerie portable gratuite

Tuner in Training
    Excellent - worked like a charm Thanks!

- Steve

Potential Tuner
    The table furniture consists of a tin quart cup
    proprietaire simulation rachat credit immobilier consommation - demander un rachat de crédit, faites une simulation rachat de credit en ligne.proprietaire simulation rachat credit immobilier consommation

Tuner
    This should be booked marked on the site here. Alot of people ask me how to wire up the PLX with Narrowband support and this guide certainly helps. Not sure if it applies to all cars but certainly does for GM V6 cars at least.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

It worked great for me .....Great write up.... thanks GeforceXtreme

03 Buick regal GSX
    SLP CAI, SLP 3.2 pulley, E85, 65lbs injectors , N* 75mm TB, LQ4 maf, HS roller rockers, 105 springs, SS Headers, SLP 2.5" exhaust with ZZP whisper resonator, Drilled 180 thermostat, AL104s, ATS relocated, ZZP fuel pump rewire kit, no egr & cat, transgo shift kit, ZZP stage 1 alxes, Fbody 12" brakes, HP tuner pro, PLX wideband narrowband simulation,hids

Sorry to necropost, will this work with an lc2 and a 411? Does the constant signal cause any issues when the ecm is expecting switched signals?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    it has the possibility of throwing a switching code depending on the sensitivity of the o2 switch rate thresholds.
    the only downside is the calibration range from 0-1v is very tight when compared to 0-5v so you really dont benefit from the sensor resolution that is offered by using the 0-5v output from the wideband.
    Honestly better to use the stock 02 sensor for trims and run the 0-5v signal for anything under pe due to increased sensor signal resolution.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman