Thread: 8.1 suburban tow settings

Advanced Tuner

8.1 suburban tow settings

I have got a 03 suburban with 4l80e and we tow 8-10,000 lbs. I have been reading a lot of posts about what to change but not sure if these are performance only recommendations. Like the min max TCC PWM settings I changed min to 90 and max to 100 and like the more solid engagement but do not want to damage when towing. I am also thinking about setting my tcc apply and release speeds above like 75 mph in either performance or normal so I can get the tcc to unlock at the push of a button. If I do this it would be so that if I am pulling a long grade and I start to lose speed I could unlock until I crest the top and then switch back to other mode allowing lock up again. Kind of like a in between gear. It seems like a lot of the time I dont need a full downshift, just a little more rpms to stay in the sweet spot. Does anybody think that would damage anything if I set it that way?

Thanks for any help! - Doug

Advanced Tuner
    Is there a book that goes into more detail about trans tuning? I have efi calibration and dans tuning book but neither go into any detail about tcc settings and no examples of tow rig set up to go off.

Post your stock & latest tune files, and I'll set up the trans for you. Are the tires sizes & gear ratio stock?

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Russ I sure would appreciate any help you would be willing to offer! It does have 265-75-16 and stock was 245-75-16 we did a tire roll out and recalculated for tire size change but everything else is stock. We are heading out of town tomorrow for a trip so I am just going to put my TCC settings back to stock for this trip. When I get back on monday I will post my tune files on here for you to look at. Thanks again for being so willing to help out another newbie!

Doug
    Last edited by superwagon; 04-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Russ thanks for the offer. Here is my stock tune file and the one I set up before we left last week for towing. I did not have enough time to get things how I thought I would like. Any help you could offer would be great, We did do several odometer checks on our trip and it seemed to come out perfect every time.
    Thanks again!- Doug

Try this trans tune.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    When I try to open the file it says unable to open file Index outside bounds of array? I downloaded latest verion of HPtuners to be sure and it says same thing still. Am I doing something wrong? I have downloaded and viewed other files with no problems.
    Thanks- Doug

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by superwagon View Post
    When I try to open the file it says unable to open file Index outside bounds of array? I downloaded latest verion of HPtuners to be sure and it says same thing still. Am I doing something wrong? I have downloaded and viewed other files with no problems.
    Thanks- Doug
    He configured it using a newer beta version.

Advanced Tuner
    What can I do to open this tune file?

Advanced Tuner
    Email support with your Serial number.

Advanced Tuner
    Russ, Thanks again for helping with my tune. I was able to get Beta version and view the changes you made but not install yet. You made a lot of changes that I wouldn't have thought of doing. I was hoping to see what changes you would make and learn from them but I have a lot more learning to do! Is their a place or book to properly learn to transmission tune like you or is it just years of experiance?
    Thanks again! - Doug

Advanced Tuner
    I tried your tune and it seems to shift a little too harsh for regular driving and lugs too much at lower speeds during lock-up. Are these settings for towing only or all around driving too? I noticed that you kept my shift time tables as I had modded and my upshift speeds, Did you leave those as I had them because you thought they were okay or because they are a preferance thing? I did a lot af reading and came across some old threads that you explained how you set pressure tables with the paste special add 40 thing, would you advise me to try adding 30 to stock with that method or changing shift time settings to soften the shifts at this point? With a few tweaks I think things will be good. I dont know if the PE settings made the improvement or what but that with tq management removed and the PE settings I left a 40-50 foot one legger when turning left on our main road and can spin both at times from a dead stop and hammer down about 5-10 feet when they do break loose on dry pavement! Not bad for 3/4 ton suburban with 3.73s and 265 tires! Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by superwagon; 04-27-2009 at 10:04 PM.

I reduced the shift pressure & raised the low speed TCC lock up points.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you again! I will give that a try.

Doug

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Russ I wanted to thank you for your time with my trans tune. I have a combination of both the tunes you set up for me now and am really liking the original tune shift pressures you set up for me. I guess I should of driven around a little more before thinking shifts were too hard. It is smooth at mild throttle and very firm shifts under heavy throttle. Looking forward to towing to see how it does! Thanks again for your help.
    -Doug