Thread: Keep burning 2-3 clutch

Tuner in Training

Keep burning 2-3 clutch

This is the 3rd time in last 3 months. I took it to a shop and they said that it sounds like i dont have enough line rise. They dont know how to use HP Tuners so i was wondering if someone could tell me what parameters you would change. I have a 408 pushing 500 rwhp, and according to the shop the line rise will be greater then if it was on a factory 4l60. I would post my tune but the car is at the shop. Thanks for any help

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99stroker View Post
    This is the 3rd time in last 3 months. I took it to a shop and they said that it sounds like i dont have enough line rise. They dont know how to use HP Tuners so i was wondering if someone could tell me what parameters you would change. I have a 408 pushing 500 rwhp, and according to the shop the line rise will be greater then if it was on a factory 4l60. I would post my tune but the car is at the shop. Thanks for any help
    Post your tune and a log of a 2-3 shift (logging some transmission PIDs of course). When you get it back.

Tuner in Training
    I didnt save my runs, but here is my tune , we changed the shift speeds but besides that everything is stock with no trque management

Cut your "Normal mode" shift times in half. "The longer it takes, the more heat it makes."

Who is building this tranny? Does it have good parts? RED ALTO, Kolene's, Heavy Duty band, larger drum, sungear, ETC.....

My experience with the same failure in a clutch pack is one of a couple of things. Incorrect clearances, piston leaking or sticking, need larger pack, and flat rating the parts. AKA not changing the reaction plate and/or pressure plate. Lots of builders think that resurfacing these items is exceptable, unfortunately in high horsepower, high stress applications it will not last anytime.

Another thing would be that the 4L60 is not up to the task. 90% of the time it isn't.

80E is the ticket if this is the case.
    Last edited by midevil1; 04-30-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: more info
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0