Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shift points in 4X4 low

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    That's not an issue... Trans doesn't care that you are doing 55, it cares about the 180 - because that's what it needs to shift off of.

So when I asked if it was accurate, I meant in 2/4hi, where there is no reduction. If so then we have something else going on. If not, then that could be the reason for it shifting so late.
    55 mph x 3.8 = 209 mph

Have you actually measured rollout? a 39" tire may not be exactly 39" depending on weight, etc
    Other than that, speedo calculations look good.
    Last edited by slow67; 04-22-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    55 mph x 3.8 = 209 mph

Have you actually measured rollout? a 39" tire may not be exactly 39" depending on weight, etc
    Other than that, speedo calculations look good.
    That's nothing, really. THere are some rock crawlers that have dual transfer cases, putting crawl ratios well into the 200's. We stress the hell out of components, and big racers like my dad just can't understand how we can destroy a 'bullet proof' Ford 9" dropout/housing.

My personal Jeep Wrangler weighs in at 6,000 lbs - dry! and has F350 running gear under it. I drive it on the roads, pulling my camp trailer. I just got back from driving it ~3,000 miles from Spokane to Moab - rock crawling in Moab - and then back to Spokane.

There is a reason that guys are putting axles under these rigs from 2.5/3 ton trucks - and even breaking those!

Tuner in Training
    No I haven't checked what it says in high range, now that we have a GPS in the rig I can compare it to that. No spedo in the rig other than the GPS. We went out to King of the Hammers race in Feb, had to qualify in through the LCQ and finished in 15th in the big race. Runnin all the desert in high range it actually shifted great. Here is a on board video from last season, you can hear what it's doing when we take off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew0Jc...eature=related
    XRRA west division #11

Tuner in Training
    Just to bump this back up and ask one last question. I did finally get it to shift in low range through all gears without hitting the rev limter. My question is the factory tune had the TCC shift lock disabled, I tried everything to get it to shift correct and it wouldn't till I enabled the TCC shift lock. Is this a bad thing or am I just being overly paranoid? Just don't want to be doing something that could smoke my trans.
    XRRA west division #11