Thread: 99 2.2l cavi help !!!!

Potential Tuner

99 2.2l cavi help !!!!

I have tried to get help via email but didnt hear anything. This is a MAJOR problem. Guess I'll copy my email and see what's going on.....

Hi, I was called down to imperial dyno center to help with a problem they have been having, They installed a 99 computer/electronics into a 94 cavalier. Vats is cutting injector pulsewidth. So i disabled the vats, vats fuelcut and every dtc code related to security. Then did a full write to the vcm. The VCM still cuts injector pulsewidth, So what I did is put it back to stock and observe what's going on. With the VCM long term memory cleared, I just put the key on/engine off. Never cranked it and it had a P1630 right away. Then decided to crank the engine. It actually fired right up, then after a couple seconds the engine dies and fails to restart. I can clear (or reflash) the vcm and it will do the exact same thing. Or just wait aprox 8 minutes with the key forward. Right when vats shuts the injectors shut off, P1632 will be set. The P1632 seems to be the one that cuts fuel. I have tried to leave the DTCs checked with no error reporting, Remove each DTC one by one. Enable Vats but disable the Vats fuelcut. It seems like the "master" Vats disable is not working at all.
    I have had a similar problem with the P0121. I could turn the code off but the dtc routine still was active, Tunercat had to add min/max map constants for the 121 dtc routine. NOt shure what it's going to tke in this case, I just hope it can be resolved quickly. The reason for the customer called me is over the VATS. Looks like there should be no problems doing this. I attached the calibration file. I have tried this with the beta version and the latest full release of HP.

thanks,
    -Tim

Probably something to do with the tables we are missing...
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20255

P&P Tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260 View Post
    Probably something to do with the tables we are missing...
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20255
    Probably doesn't since he can't get the car started and is throwing a theft deterrent code

Its likely either a vats or mechanical problem. I'm working with the OP to try and get it resolved.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 04-16-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Probably doesn't since he can't get the car started and is throwing a theft deterrent code

Its likely either a vats or mechanical problem. I'm working with the OP to try and get it resolved.
    If he has disabled the theft codes/tables, then why would it be faulting? I have ran into this on a few (less than a handfull) but honestly did not worry about it. When I ran in to the problem, it was on cars I was doing remote starts on. I was trying to save the customers money since I have model year licenses, and keep them from having to buy bypass modules. Well, after it did not work, I just went ahead and had them buy the modules... Not trying to beat a dead horse by asking for more tables, but when we first got support, there were issues with the speed limiters due to, you guessed it, missing tables.... I know the LSx is the bread and butter, but I just want to give the best tune to my customers using your product.

To the OP, where are you located? You said Imperial Dyno Center... Do you mean Imperial as in Imperial Missouri?
    Last edited by imphat0260; 04-17-2009 at 11:17 PM.

P&P Tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Not trying to beat a dead horse by asking for more tables, but when we first got support, there were issues with the speed limiters due to, you guessed it, missing tables
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...4&postcount=40

- in terms of parameters i'm aiming for around the same number of parameters as the V6 so i don't envisage too many issues. However there may be a few things that will need tweaking once we get into beta. Experience would show these are generally model specific quirks related to torque management, electronic throttle etc.
    And we added the "speed limiter" tables btw they weren't even speed limiter tables, they were traction control tables that people were hitting up against, nobody could've seen that coming but we added them in a timely manner with the help of our customers.

The amount of work that goes into supporting 4 & 6 cylinder applications is disturbing as 4 cylinders are very similar to v6's in that there can be 10 or more operating systems for just one vin number all of which we need to support. Both 4 cyl & V6 applications are handled by only ONE engineer making the task of adding tables that much more difficult(not to mention he handles about 20 other pcm's anything from 97-98 LS1 pcm's, 99-03 pcm's, 04 LS1 pcm's, LB7 diesels, LLY diesels, LBZ diesels, LMM diesels, E55 alloytech pcm's, etc all by one person. We currently have 3 full time calibration engineers on staff but I'm sure we'd love to have 10 more. Balancing new tables to offering support to vehicles we support is one we need to do on a daily basis.

Not that you care to know but those are the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...4&postcount=40

And we added the "speed limiter" tables btw they weren't even speed limiter tables, they were traction control tables that people were hitting up against, nobody could've seen that coming but we added them in a timely manner with the help of our customers.

The amount of work that goes into supporting 4 & 6 cylinder applications is disturbing as 4 cylinders are very similar to v6's in that there can be 10 or more operating systems for just one vin number all of which we need to support. Both 4 cyl & V6 applications are handled by only ONE engineer making the task of adding tables that much more difficult(not to mention he handles about 20 other pcm's anything from 97-98 LS1 pcm's, 99-03 pcm's, 04 LS1 pcm's, LB7 diesels, LLY diesels, LBZ diesels, LMM diesels, E55 alloytech pcm's, etc all by one person. We currently have 3 full time calibration engineers on staff but I'm sure we'd love to have 10 more. Balancing new tables to offering support to vehicles we support is one we need to do on a daily basis.

Not that you care to know but those are the facts.
    You have not stated anything new that I was not already aware of. My point was simply that if there are more tables there, why can't we have access? I fully understand that new product support along with maintaining support for current platforms(mainly LSx) is the priority.. I get it, but I along with others that do alot of I4 stuff are paying customers too... I bought quite a few model years so I could take care of my customers. I just feel that I can give them more! I know "we" are not the priority, but it would nice to get some updated product support also... I for one am glad that you guys gave us support in the first place, I just wish that more "access" was present...

P&P Tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260 View Post
    I fully understand that new product support along with maintaining support for current platforms(mainly LSx) is the priority.. I get it,
    I don't think you do get it, there are some 500+ I4 operating systems, lets say adding one table to one of those operating systems takes 20 minutes lets say.

20 minutes X 500=167 man hours roughly or 4 weeks of constant work from one of your engineers. FOR ONE TABLE.

Lets say we add 10 tables @ 1 hour for each os would be 4 months of "drop everything you are doing" work and so on.

I4's & V6's do not lend themselves to adding tables well which is probably one of the reasons the other V6 tuning software company went out of business we prefer not to go out of business.

Chris has already stated that we will review our current projects to see what time we can squeeze in to add additional tables but from what I understand the code structure is difficult in the I4's making doing the work that much more difficult.