Thread: 1988 TPI Trans AM

Potential Tuner

1988 TPI Trans AM

I have a 383 vortec head motor. It is 9.6:1 with KB pistons and LT4 hot roller cam. I have to decide if I am up to trying to reprogram the stock computer for a magnacharger supercharger. My current plans are to use tes headers, hi-flow baseplate, 25 or 30lb/hr injectors because I can get a set of them really cheap, and the tunercat program and a cheap burner and eeproms.

If I just puchase a hi-flow baseplate, fuel pressure regulator, and a 52 mm throttlebody, I have to burn a chip anyway and with all the other piecemeal things I have to buy, it would not be that much more expensive to buy the supercharger kit since everything comes with it. Has anybody programmed a chip for a supercharger or otherwise boosted smallblock using the gm computer?

I don't want to spend the $1700.00 for the accel computer.

The supercharger comes with all the parts including 42 lb/hr injectors.
    I am continuing to read from this and other forums but I have not come across exactly what I need yet.

Will I be able to use a stock MAF sensor? It seems some say the MAF needs to be recalibrated or not used. Does this work for my stock gm computer? I am going the memcal adapter route so I can easily swap eeproms if needed. The throttle body for the supercharger is large like the LS1 or LS6 or something .

Advanced Tuner

Re: 1988 TPI Trans AM

you will be turfing your 1227730 tpi computer and replacing it with a 1227747 computer, this computer was used in turbo sunbird, grand am and cyclone applications, you will then need to download the $52 mask binary and get tunercat software or tunerpro to edit it with, there is a document out there for converting your tpi over to use the boost ready computer, only a matter of repining the wiring. check www.thirdgen.com
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Re: 1988 TPI Trans AM

Actually 1988 uses a 1227165 ecm and the maf sensor. You can tune it to run, but it is challenging! If your system works well you will max out the maf sensor and ecm software at 255 grams/sec at about 3500 rpm's and you will have to tune with a wide band 02 your pe-vs-rpm table to make sure your afr's are 11.5-12.0 at WOT about 3500. You will need to run the 42's because the SC tpi's I have tuned lean out with even 30's and an fmu.
    If you convert to a 730 ecm there are hacs out there for a two bar map and a wide band data logging. (diy-efi) or the (gm_ecm) sites. You can also convert to a 749 ecm but it won't control your AIR system.
    Mark
    Mark