Thread: 2.2l cavalier

Potential Tuner

2.2l cavalier

I'll be picking up a computer from a 95 2.2l j-body this week I just have to find someone to pull the eeprom and get the bin and I'll post it right away.... cause honestly I wouldn't know what to do with it.

I have a turbo project in the works and this would be worlds of help. i.e. save the engine.

Re: 2.2l cavalier

we are about to get tunercat to do a TDF for the pre-95 2.2. Possibly there may be some support for 95 too..
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Potential Tuner

hope so.... the engine itself is the same as for the ecm.....I dunno.
    I just got the use of an EPROM burner (224/28 pin, hope this is right) from my uncle so hopefully I can figure out how to use it to get the info I need. Any help here would be much appreciated.

thanks again.

in 95 they switched on Cavy's - they started using the dual 68hc11 processors instead of the single. I think the flash changed to a bigger size too.
    Also the connector is now an OBDII style but doesn't connect with a OBDII scan tool. DTC's are also OBDII style..

FYI.. 96 Cavs were mostly made in 95. A 96 will 90% of the time be the same as a 95. Only cars MADE after Jan 1st, 1996 had to be OBDII compliant.
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Potential Tuner

So did anyone figure out the 95 pcm and if it can be flashprogrammed. Im a noob so if someone could lead me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Chris

Potential Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RoboGeek
    in 95 they switched on Cavy's - they started using the dual 68hc11 processors instead of the single. I think the flash changed to a bigger size too.
    Also the connector is now an OBDII style but doesn't connect with a OBDII scan tool. DTC's are also OBDII style..

FYI.. 96 Cavs were mostly made in 95. A 96 will 90% of the time be the same as a 95. Only cars MADE after Jan 1st, 1996 had to be OBDII compliant.

You found a 1996 Cavalier to be NOT OBDII?

If the car is a 1996 model year no matter what month in 1995 it was built it IS OBDII.

1996 models also have newer SRS systems...I have NEVER found a 1996 with an older SRS(Airbag) system.

Let me attempt to clarify..

The 96's that were made in 95 are the wierd mutation of the old and new. They are obdII compliant (as were the 95's) but they weren't the standard GM obdII system. Thats why 96 cavy owners can't go to autozone and read their codes. And I'm pretty sure you can't flash through the port either like a standard obdII. The next gen of 96's were set up like the current models and the port works as expected.

Potential Tuner

Tunercat 95 TDF

Quote Originally Posted by RoboGeek
    we are about to get tunercat to do a TDF for the pre-95 2.2. Possibly there may be some support for 95 too..
    I dont think tunercat has done this yet. I however have requested all available info that you can send me so i can make the TDF for tunercat. Reason being, i'm working on this very ecu in my turbo'd 95 2.2L show car.

Chris R. Smyth

Potential Tuner
    I have an update for the forums. Tunercat released $36 file, and i have almost completed the tunerpro files as well. The tunercat solution is very good. HOWEVER, because tunerpro can also monitor aldl data at the same time, i feel it is a very robust and easy program to use.