Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Silverado - 4.8L - Torque Management

2008 Silverado - 4.8L - Torque Management

So, I've been reading for almost 2 days on this board and it's been a great help for me getting started.

I will be working on my Dad's 2008 Silverado with a 4.8 and Auto. More or less I'm just looking to remove the Abuse Mode TM (which I understand how to do) and any other torque management that effects it in the low RPM range. I have read both that you can remove all TM and run forever and that you mustn't remove all TM for fear of hurting the transmission. (LOL)

This poor truck came into a family of My Car (Modded SS Cobalt), my truck (89 Silverado w/ a built stroker motor), and my dad's old truck (91 Silverado w/ a Whipple Supercharger) and it can't even spin a tire on wet pavement!

ANYWAY - I'd like to have this truck, minus as much TM as possible, and shifting firm, can someone with a similar vehicle help me out with some ideas as to what TM I can get away with totally removing or reducing and what settings in the trans to play with to firm up shifting I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if there's an FAQ or a how to: thread on trans tuning and I fail at search, feel free to call me stupid/newb/tardcat/etc, so long as you post the link with the insult

Advanced Tuner
    Well as far as Torque Management goes I can tell you for some reason on the newer trucks 07 and up they can kind of act weird if you just zero out the Torque management tables so I wouldnt do that, not sure why?

As far as how much to remove and keep your trans alive for awhile I feel that 50%-60% removed is a good safe bet and you will get some conflicting answers as you have read. Me personally on my truck I have had no torque management at all now going on like 3 years and my trans is still holding up ok (shifts are getting softer though) but I think that my trans is just some kind of freak.

If you want to firm up the shift a good place to start and it makes a huge difference is to install a corvette servo, this makes the 1-2 shift alot more solid because from the factory it is just plain sloppy IMO.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    tell me more on the corvette servo, please...

Advanced Tuner
    Why does it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS View Post
    Well as far as Torque Management goes I can tell you for some reason on the newer trucks 07 and up they can kind of act weird if you just zero out the Torque management tables so I wouldnt do that, not sure why?

As far as how much to remove and keep your trans alive for awhile I feel that 50%-60% removed is a good safe bet and you will get some conflicting answers as you have read. Me personally on my truck I have had no torque management at all now going on like 3 years and my trans is still holding up ok (shifts are getting softer though) but I think that my trans is just some kind of freak.

If you want to firm up the shift a good place to start and it makes a huge difference is to install a corvette servo, this makes the 1-2 shift alot more solid because from the factory it is just plain sloppy IMO.
    Thanks for the imput

I won't be tuning this truck until next weekend (5/2).. so i'd appreciate any and all feedback prior to this

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    Why does it make a difference?
    Here is some good info:
    http://s-series.org/component/option...m,6/task,item/

*bump*

Anybody have a decent config file for monitoring these trucks? or is the hpt default good enough?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    Good info there! I went ahead and bought the kit from Makco and should have it in a few days

Advanced Tuner
    Unless you have an V8 Fbody or a Vette, the Vette Servo should be mandatory!

Advanced Tuner
    Unless you have an V8 Fbody or a Vette, the Vette Servo should be mandatory!
    lol I didn't know about that one when I did the swap. I knew the sun shell was a weak link, so I grabbed a TCI off the shelf and tossed it in...

What's the difference, if you know, between the TCI and Makco servo? The only thing I see that is different is about $70.

Advanced Tuner
    What's the difference, if you know, between the TCI and Makco servo? The only thing I see that is different is about $70.
    Quote from their page:
    "Note: This servo assembly is already factory installed in C4 & C5 Corvettes and 1993-up LT1/LS1 equipped F-body vehicles."

Don't waste your money on the TCI servo....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote from their page:
    "Note: This servo assembly is already factory installed in C4 & C5 Corvettes and 1993-up LT1/LS1 equipped F-body vehicles."

Don't waste your money on the TCI servo....
    Forgive me, but isn't that the same thing as the Makco one? Or is that what your saying; save $70 and buy the Makco. To me, both appear to be the exact same kit. Granted, I haven't seen the Makco yet to compare, but their descriptions/pictures, look identical.

Advanced Tuner
    Forgive me, but isn't that the same thing as the Makco one? Or is that what your saying; save $70 and buy the Makco. To me, both appear to be the exact same kit. Granted, I haven't seen the Makco yet to compare, but their descriptions/pictures, look identical.
    Yeah I was quoting that since it means its they are the same.

Okay, I'm attaching the stock tune as well as the Modified Tune. The truck still just levels off at 1800rpm if you try to power brake it.. any suggestions?

Also attached is a log.. starting at frame 5400 is an instance of trying to "power brake" the truck..

Sorry for the crappy log, it's the only i managed to save correctly

Thanks!

p.s. on tune was saved on 2.22.. the other saved on 2.23beta

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 383_Stroker View Post
    Okay, I'm attaching the stock tune as well as the Modified Tune. The truck still just levels off at 1800rpm if you try to power brake it.. any suggestions?

Also attached is a log.. starting at frame 5400 is an instance of trying to "power brake" the truck..

Sorry for the crappy log, it's the only i managed to save correctly

Thanks!

p.s. on tune was saved on 2.22.. the other saved on 2.23beta
    Maybe because TCS is enabled still (under TM)?

Advanced Tuner
    Oh here are some TQ MGMNT stuff I found that you might want to look at and or correct.

Under the Engine TQ MGMNT:
    -Go into the each gear and change from 610 to the max 6042
    -Change the max input and out cells to 6042
    -Under Brake Tq MGMNT change the brake torque limit to 6042
    -Under Engine torque>AC Torque>Torque Reduction zero out this table

Under the Transmission tab-
    -Your part throttle 100% shift speeds do not match your WOT shift speeds
    -Under shift prop>force motor current you can zero out the 92.5 table
    -Under Auto TCC>TCC duty cycle max table make all cells 100%
    -Under Auto TCC>TCC duty cycle min table at least make the cells 90%
    -Under Torque Mgmnt tab, your stall TQ MGMNT enable and disable RPM's are set low,
    these are the tables that limit you from power braking the vehicle.
    -Under Abuse Mode>Torque Reduction you still have the factory values, Might want to reduce by 50%, 25% or zero out to your taste.
    -Under Abuse Mode>Reduction Duration this is how long the computer reduces power. Once again either reduce or zero out.

I noticed in the System tab that you have your AC enable/disable tables 0 out. Does the truck not have AC?

I also noticed the speed limiter is set to 98 as well under the Speedo tab as well.

You also need to adjust the shift pressures some as well. This part I am not sure how much as it depends on the person and the tranny. I would recommend just getting the GM Corvette servo assembly and putting it in the tranny. You could go with a billet aftemarket model as well, that it up to you. The billet ones are know to rip the pin apply spot out of the stock/factory band which will cause you to have to pull the tranny in order to replace the apply band if that happens.

You can try these changes either in parts or whole. Be advised that with no TQ MGMNT you could eventually kill the tranny. Aslong as you are OK with this then go ahead.

Wow!

Thanks for all the feedback.. I have another tune where I played with torque management and timing some on the engine side. (Actually it's a direct copy of the tables an edge programmer gives for those trucks). I'll upload that tonight when I get home too and see if anyone has any advice for it.

Thanks again!

Attached is a tune that is a copy of the Edge Programmer "Performance" Tune.

Truck still wouldn't spin a tire under any circumstance.

I'll still try any of the stuff above, but more advice for tweaks to this tune are welcome!