Thread: First freeway run since tuning....Good results

First freeway run since tuning....Good results

I've still got a rough tune on it, I'll be putting it on a dyno and running it with a wideband to trim it out, but since I started tuning, the power is noticeably better, acceleration is greatly improved, and best of all, for me, is the gas mileage.....

When I drove out here to New Mexico, I was getting right around 20 mpg doing right around 80 most of the way....I drove the car 150 miles yesterday to get an idea of the mileage that it's getting now in preparation for going home.......26mpg, most of the drive was at right around 80!!!!

That is F***ing awesome......Once I get back to commuting back home, this software will pay for itself in about 5 months by the $100 a month it's going to save me on gas......

I just want to thank the HP Tuner guys. John

Tuner in Training

Re: First freeway run since tuning....Good results

What did you do to increase your mileage? Did you change the stoich A/F to 15?

Just wondering.

-Geoff

No, I killed the Torque Management (Actually, I set it to zero, through 50%, and then started it at 15* of retard from there, just for a safety net in case something serious goes wrong).

I also played with the timing a bit, just bumping it up 2* acrosss the board, then driving it, seeing where I got some knock, and backing it off there. I'm going to stick to that until I get a chance to run it on a wideband O2, and re-tune it then.

Lastly, my Throttle Body is descreened and massaged (got rid of the sharp edges, etc. inside of it, not really ported), so I increased my MAF Airflow values by 3% to compensate.

Just FYI, the 3% was a shot in the dark figure. I was getting some knock at cruise, and I remembered that I had the TB descreened, which would allow more air in, which would of course lean the mixture. I would have thought the O2s would compensate, but apparently not.

So, I bumped the airflow values up by 2.5%, that seemed to work good, so I went to 3%, and it seems to like this.

Just remember, increasing the airflow values will result in a richer mixture relative to where you are now. Decreasing the airflow values will result in a leaner mixture.

Hope that helps. John

What timing table did you edit?

I have only edited the High Octane table, and increased the Max Torque Table timing values to match the highest values in the High Octane table.

I left the Low Octane table stock for the time being as a back up in case I get bad gas or something, kind of a safety net.

I did the same thing with the spark table (except I have gone 3*). I left the Low Octane stock. However, I saw that someone went ahead and raised the Low Octane table to the High Octane values and is counting on the KR as a safety net. This makes tuning easier because you do not have to worry about being between the tables.

I throw this out to see what people think.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Tuner in Training

I am happy to report a similar gain, from 16mpg to 20 after playing around with the tuner. Of course, my jeep is 10ft long and has the aerodynamics of a cinderblock, so anything is an improvement. Since it's coming from 9mpg back when it had its original 232 straight six, I'm pretty darn pleased with the results, especially since it makes twice the power of the 232 with 1ci less displacement!
    (and no scary 1bbl Carter carb)

My MAF screen was damaged when my engine/trans was shipped to me, so I've never had one. I upped maf airflow by ~3% and it liked it a lot, and the K&N filter clamped to the MAF seems to do an ok job of directing airflow (It runs better with the K&N than with nothing). For some reason it seems to start easier with less starting enrichment. I've also dialed up the timing

Next it goes to the Wed night drags at Sears Point, er, Infineon Raceway to see a) if it'll pass tech and b) what it'll do! Informal testing with the scanner shows 0-60 in ~5.5 sec, so it should be good. I'll put it on a scale too, since the best guess right now is around 1800lbs.
    1973 AMG Postal Jeep powered by:&&1998 Chevy Camaro 3800 Series II V6/4L60E&&Adjustable fuel pressure, K&N clamped to TB, AMC Pacer front suspension (makes it LHD+disc brakes), Explorer 3.55 rear axle