Thread: Can't change timing in Octane tables...

Can't change timing in Octane tables...

I have an 04 impala that i started tuning for a local and no matter what i command in the high octane tables i doesn't change anything. My 2002 and 2000 gtp both get what i command but for some reason it's not working on this impala. Did i do something wrong? So far we've been changing his timing through the AFRVSspark tables. I tried a "write entire" hoping that would solve the issue and got nothing Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Advanced Tuner
    What kind of motor does the 2004 Impala have?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Senior Tuner
    Did you try modifying the low octance table and see if it had any result? Maybe the fuel in the car is low quality and running off low octance?

The impala has the l67 series II nothing cool unfortunately. I haven't tried messing with the low octane tables however i know for a fact it's not referencing them. I also was helping someone out at the Dragstrip with his tuning and he has the same problem it won't run commanded timing. Whatever the tables say before any changes are made is what we get, period. Kinda frustrating to be honest... I would really like to figure this out.

Correct me if im wrong as im going by memory atm, prob find ign timing will reference from the high octane table first - when significant KR is noticed it will then refer to the low octane table.
    Beached as bro!

Mine reflects the changes made. Is it not changing anywhere (idle, cruise, WOT,etc)?
    2010 Camaro SS LS3
    SOLO highflow cats|VMax ported TB|Vararam

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know what the AFRVSspark table is. If you want to change the timing you should be changing it in the High Octane Spark table.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Quote Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
    Mine reflects the changes made. Is it not changing anywhere (idle, cruise, WOT,etc)?
    It won't change in any of the cells, i get nothing. Doesn't matter what i command in low/high octane for some reason it's just not working... I should clarify though, if i change say all the cruising cells and add 8* of timing it will show the added timing in the chart but when i scan there's no change what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Perforator View Post
    I don't know what the AFRVSspark table is. If you want to change the timing you should be changing it in the High Octane Spark table.
    lol hence the reason i started this thread...

Advanced Tuner
    What table are you changing? Maybe you should post your bin and a scan. That would probably help.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Quote Originally Posted by Perforator View Post
    What table are you changing? Maybe you should post your bin and a scan. That would probably help.
    I'm I figured it out... I'm an idiot, and usually the first to admit it. Lucky for me, nobody knows what i look like...
    2002 gtp - CT kit, t67, l67, ST5 cam (old setup on xp cam and pt-61 14psi, 11.8@120)
    2000 gtp - CT kit, pt-61 turbo, stock everything else. Times soon to come.

Glad you figured it out, but now you have to anonymously tell us what you were doing wrong. We won't tell it was you.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3
    SOLO highflow cats|VMax ported TB|Vararam

I was changing the timing in the .92 (g/cyl) cells but the car is stock so it never gets high enough for those cells, i made adjustments to the .80 cells and it worked.

Which brings me to another question... Why isn't it getting up in those cells? This problem is also on my stock GTP which is the car in question now. The scans show (attatched) the car is getting plenty of air (10,000hz on the maf, high 150 kpa) but the stock boost gauge doesn't max out until the wayyyy upper rpm's. Maybe after 5500 it'll finally fill in the last cell. It starts with just 3/4 of them and slowly raises with rpm's. I thought maybe belt slip so i got a new belt, didn't help, found a vac leak, nothing... what the heck?! I compared this to my other car which was on a 3.0 pulley (supporting mods) and that car only got 172kpa which doesn't seem like a huge difference to me but easily fills in the .92 (g/cyl) in the histograms.
    2002 gtp - CT kit, t67, l67, ST5 cam (old setup on xp cam and pt-61 14psi, 11.8@120)

Advanced Tuner
    I just checked one of my old scans and I don't hit .92 until around 160kpa so that sounds about right.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Thanks for clearing that up, idk what's going on with the stock boost gauge but everything seems to be in order according to the scans. I get about 7.5 or so psi on a stock pulley which as far as i've picked up is pretty much the norm.

Owell, going for high 13's tomorrow hopefully i get it.