Thread: IAT position with alcohol injection

IAT position with alcohol injection

I don't know how many people have any experience with alcohol injection, but I am thinking of relocating the IAT to a port on the upper intake manifold about 6-8" after the injection nozzle. Will this cause any problems with the sensor being in the stream of alcohol mist? Should I just leave it before the alcohol injection?
    2004 Grand Am SC/T- Eaton Magnuson M62 supercharger, 2.6" pulley, EGR delete, Greddy PCV oil catch system, 42.5lb/hr injectors, LS1 MAF, custom CAI, cooling mist meth injection system

dare say youll be opening a can of worms
    id only presume you will get fluctuation of temperature readings having sensor contact with fuel and air both which would have different temps, or possibly a "windchilled".
    id suggest sticking to an airstream before the injectors.
    Beached as bro!

I don't understand why you would do that?
    2002 gtp - CT kit, t67, l67, ST5 cam (old setup on xp cam and pt-61 14psi, 11.8@120)
    2000 gtp - CT kit, pt-61 turbo, stock everything else. Times soon to come.

The alcohol injection is in place to cool the intake charge in addition to raise the resistance to knock when in boost. The way I see it, with the IAT at the outlet of the blower before the injector, the IAT is not reading the actual temp at the intake, therefore not really getting an accurate reading for fueling purposes. In actuality the way the set-up is now, the Alchy is only raising the octane, not actually cooling the intake air as far as the PCM can see.....
    2004 Grand Am SC/T- Eaton Magnuson M62 supercharger, 2.6" pulley, EGR delete, Greddy PCV oil catch system, 42.5lb/hr injectors, LS1 MAF, custom CAI, cooling mist meth injection system

Looking back, I think you guys are not understanding what Im talking about here. I am talking about a water (meth) injection system, not placing my IAT after my fuel injectors.

Dont mean to come across having a dig, in my opinion tho introducing avoidable variables having the sender after alch injection. from what i see theres possiblity of quenching the sender beyond actual intake temperature from accumilation/saturation. not to mention whos to say the sender is going to be quick enough to respond when injection starts and stops.
    my suggestion is tweek with the ignition timing when injection is underway and leaving the sender where it is.
    Beached as bro!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastyear4gt View Post
    The alcohol injection is in place to cool the intake charge in addition to raise the resistance to knock when in boost. The way I see it, with the IAT at the outlet of the blower before the injector, the IAT is not reading the actual temp at the intake, therefore not really getting an accurate reading for fueling purposes. In actuality the way the set-up is now, the Alchy is only raising the octane, not actually cooling the intake air as far as the PCM can see.....
    my thoughts exactly.

If you have the correct flow rate (nozzle) for your application, and the correct trigger (MAP or TPS), then you should not have problems relocating the IAT sensor. I would prefer that my car "knows" that its getting a cooler charge as well. As long as there is a reasonable distance between the nozzle and the sensor, the water/meth will evap quickly and flow by the sensor in the gas phase rather than liquid.

My 2 cents...
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Senior Tuner
    One issue is that ultimately the meth will kill your IAT sensor, and/or reduce it's ability to monitor properly. The other issue is when not in meth the IAT will read higher if you locate the IAT into the manifold. If you insist on spraying meth over the IAT, then put the IAT after the meth, but before the TB.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

What are you are talking about is a MAT (Manifold Absolute Temperature) sensor not an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. If you are spraying your alky before the blower it would likely be so vaporized by the time it got the MAT that it wouldn't cause wild swings due to droplets forming on the sensor but it would still be a corrosive environment and the temperature sensors are all thermocouple based and the responce curve changes with oxidation.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    ..............If you have the correct flow rate (nozzle) for your application, and the correct trigger (MAP or TPS), then you should not have problems relocating the IAT sensor. I would prefer that my car "knows" that its getting a cooler charge as well. As long as there is a reasonable distance between the nozzle and the sensor, the water/meth will evap quickly and flow by the sensor in the gas phase rather than liquid.

My 2 cents...
    X2..... I used to run alc injection (w/o an intercooler) into the TB, I found the best place for IAT sensor was in the upper intake manifold. The charge temp could get down to 38 deg F. at the TB on a hot day, as low as 28 deg on a cool day, by the time it got to the UIM it was 20-40 deg above ambient, at the end of a pass. Never had the sensor fail from the alc.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

So where you spraying into the blower with the alcohol? Is that OK for the rotors? What size injector did you use? Im going with a 4gph. Looking at my best run to date, the scan showed my IAT without the alcohol is 50-55 degrees celcius before the run and hitting up to 70 degrees at the end of the run, and this was at night when it was about 8 degrees out. Definately need the alcohol.
    Last edited by Lastyear4gt; 05-08-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastyear4gt View Post
    So where you spraying into the blower with the alcohol? Is that OK for the rotors? What size injector did you use? Im going with a 4gph. Looking at my best run to date, the scan showed my IAT without the alcohol is 50-55 degrees celcius before the run and hitting up to 70 degrees at the end of the run, and this was at night when it was about 8 degrees out. Definately need the alcohol.
    I was spraying into the blower, and I would say it is not good for the coating on the rotors, since much of mine has worn off. There was a lot of wear on mine when I first got it, though.

I used a low pressure atomizer that worked off boost pressure, not an injector nozzle. The system you have should be better. I would start with the lowest size you have, just a light mist. At some point, the amount of alcohol will be too much, and displace/restrict the incoming air.

I can't convert the temps from Celsius in my head, but if you can keep the temp rise in the upper intake manifold to within 10-20 deg F. above ambient, that would be close to what most intercoolers can do. That's assuming a pretty good cool-down between runs, and ECT to 180-190 deg or so at the line. Depending on what ECT you start with, it may or may not be good to have the alc on during the burnout.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Yeah, the nozzle it came with was 9lb/hr, and you could feel the car bog when it came on, more than likely flooding out the spark. I have done the calculations and for the approx power output and boost level, a 4gal/hr nozzle should work perfect.

Lets put this in perspective for you. The night I ran, it was 47*F ambient temp. The IAT at the line was about 113*F, and through the trap it was approx 154*F. So that is where my power loss lies. Cool that IAT down and I should run significantly better times.