Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MPVI Unable to locate VCM error with Scanner or Editor

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

MPVI Unable to locate VCM error with Scanner or Editor

If you receive an Unable to locate VCM error

The most common cause for this is that either your cable is not connected to the obd2 port or your key is not in the Run(On) position OR you could have a blown fuse in your fuse panel.

Commonly the obd2 port fuse is also the cigarette lighter fuse so thats the first to check, but this can vary from vehicle to vehicle as corvettes use a different REAR FOG/ALDL/TOP SW fuse located under the passenger floor.

Its rare that these issues are caused by our software & are usually a simple electrical or connection issue, however If you've checked all of your fuses & connections please contact support at hptuners.com with a vcm suite infolog while connected to the vehicle along with the year/make/model of the vehicle in question so that we can try to troubleshoot further.

Thanks,
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I e-mailed Tech Support on April 22nd and never recieved a response so I sent it again just now.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevilliagemon View Post
    I e-mailed Tech Support on April 22nd and never recieved a response so I sent it again just now.
    I replied on the 22nd at 4:55pm according to my records. In any event, I responded again with the same email.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having the same problem. The OBDII port has 12v power- checked with a DMM.

Checking the driver thread Ken posted now. I reformatted my laptop and reinstalled the software. Will not allow the licensing to take place.

"The interface was not found or is not responding. Verify it is connected properly and that the vehicles diagnostic port has power"

Any other ideas?
    '98 T/A M6 Pics/Mods
    '99 Z28 M6 SOLD

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by white.lightning View Post
    I'm having the same problem. The OBDII port has 12v power- checked with a DMM.

Checking the driver thread Ken posted now. I reformatted my laptop and reinstalled the software. Will not allow the licensing to take place.

"The interface was not found or is not responding. Verify it is connected properly and that the vehicles diagnostic port has power"

Any other ideas?
    What version of windows are you running? Vista? 32 or 64 bit? Do you hear a distinct DING when you connect your interface to your laptop as if its recognizing a new piece of hardware has been connected?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    What version of windows are you running? Vista? 32 or 64 bit? Do you hear a distinct DING when you connect your interface to your laptop as if its recognizing a new piece of hardware has been connected?
    Windows XP Pro. I get a ding. I installed the A or B driver, whichever one it asked for with the HPT CD.
    '98 T/A M6 Pics/Mods
    '99 Z28 M6 SOLD

Im having the same problem!
    2009 GMC Sierra All Terrain Z71

Tuner in Training
    I fixed this problem yesterday. It was a USB driver problem. If you guys go into your Settings->Control Panel click on System then select Hardware->Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers you should see HP Tuners MPVI Channel A and HP Tuners MPVI Channel B. If you don't have these two, you don't have the drivers installed properly.

Also, I had tried cranking the car a bunch of times and was testing outputs with a voltmeter and injector tester before I hooked up HPTuners. After I failed with that, I decided to log and tried to hook HPtuners up. It couldn't connect to the VCM. Turns out the battery was around 10.xx volts. That wasn't enough juice for my VCM to output through the OBDII connector. I charged it up to 12.XX and was able to connect.

Frank

Potential Tuner
    Wish that would resolve mine. I am using a GM aftermarket VCM #12480112 retrofit computer sold by GM racing to install a LS-1 in an older car. I can read DTCs, see live engine parameters but am not able to see the VCM to read or flash.

Any ideas?

Larry Perryman

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Contact support Larry.

Potential Tuner
    Bill,

I would love to talk to tech support. I have sent them the same e-mails and have not received any reply at all. They have had the e-mails for two days now.

Larry

Tuner in Training
    I unistalled the USB drivers and reinstalled them. Problem fixed. Thanks
    '98 T/A M6 Pics/Mods
    '99 Z28 M6 SOLD

Tuner in Training

unable to locate vcm

I'm having the same problem, new laptop vista premium 32bit, I loaded and reloaded drivers. I downloaded latest from the site that said Vista support.

Does it with version 2.2 and beta version. Port has 12V full charge and a good ground. Any suggestions?

On the drivers advanced tab there is a load VCP check box on or off. I tried both.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bustac View Post
    I'm having the same problem, new laptop vista premium 32bit, I loaded and reloaded drivers. I downloaded latest from the site that said Vista support.

Does it with version 2.2 and beta version. Port has 12V full charge and a good ground. Any suggestions?

On the drivers advanced tab there is a load VCP check box on or off. I tried both.
    Unable to locate VCM error is NOT a drivers issue. Its a pcm, fuse or wiring issue.

Tuner in Training

pcm

In my case I was swapping laptops and the new one with vista hadn't worked yet so drivers were an issue for me since I didn't download them with the new beta s/w.

You were right though something blew the 20 amp fuse at the under hood panel. thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unable to locate vcm means the software can't find the vcm for some reason but it IS finding the hptuners hardware therefore you can rule out a drivers issue

Interface not found error,however, is usually either a driver or hardware issue because the software is saying it can't find the interface.

Different errors different diagnosis. Differrent strokes for different folks

Potential Tuner
    i have a 2001 silverado 2500hd, im not getting power from the port, can you tell me which fuse i need to look for... they all seem to be testing ok but i may be missing something

Potential Tuner
    underhood fusebox there is a cig lighter fuse (silverado)

i was using the scanner to monitor engine sensor info while i was driving to check for problems , all was fine until i shut off engine.
    tried to restart and go again now unable to locate vcm.. no changes to anything just wont work on either of my vehicles that it was working on minutes before. "just says unable to locate vcm" power coming from both sides of interface (aldl, and usb) drivers are fine.

never had problems until now. it there something in the interface (mpvi box) that can go out causing this?
    Last edited by h22auto; 11-14-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by h22auto View Post
    underhood fusebox there is a cig lighter fuse (silverado)

i was using the scanner to monitor engine sensor info while i was driving to check for problems , all was fine until i shut off engine.
    tried to restart and go again now unable to locate vcm.. no changes to anything just wont work on either of my vehicles that it was working on minutes before. "just says unable to locate vcm" power coming from both sides of interface (aldl, and usb) drivers are fine.

never had problems until now. it there something in the interface (mpvi box) that can go out causing this?
    did you have the laptop charging via the cig lighter when you had the interface hooked up to the laptop?
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Potential Tuner
    no sir, fully charged laptop.. i was responding to the location of the aldl fuse for the previous post.