Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPVI Unable to locate VCM error with Scanner or Editor

if you have 12v at the aldl connector, unhook the aldl cable from the interface and reconnect it to the interface and see if it works. I have had a few times that it was not making a good connection and caused this error.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Potential Tuner
    tried my laptop and a friends laptop tried unhooking both and rehooking in a few combinations nothing... im leaning toward a failure in the interface... i guess i need to email support... ive tried everything i can without opening the box and testing little things that i have no idea how to test....

Tuner
    having same issue, gonna email support works fine on my 2010 camaro, not my 01 GTP running beta, drivers installed correct, vista ultimate...grrr need to scann!

Tuner
    I have been having same issue, I emailed support too apparently nobody has reported any issues with last beta

Tuner in Training
    i have the same issue
    you guys ever find a solution for this im having the same issue as h22auto is.

Version 2.22.3152.18236

Potential Tuner
    Same issue, just got it in the mail today. OBD has power, checked with Fluke. Running Windows XP, and HPTuner version 2.22.3042.17581

Car is a 2000 Trans Am. Trying it on a 2002 Camero tonight.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvey View Post
    Same issue, just got it in the mail today. OBD has power, checked with Fluke. Running Windows XP, and HPTuner version 2.22.3042.17581

Car is a 2000 Trans Am. Trying it on a 2002 Camero tonight.
    Email support if you continue to running into the issue on that 02' Camereo
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Same issues. Will email support

Tuner
    This is my situation,
    1. The battery was very low under 10.00 volts lost all power
    2. tried to write a tune
    3 HP Tuner software said,the vehicle is inoperative Help

Got a new battery
    Read Entire VCM
    1.VCM Recover Mode
    2.then it fails under Reading Entire VCM
    help
    Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You likely need to finish the write it if failed during the write. Try write entire if you are talking about your 08 TBSS.

Tuner in Training

unable to locate VCM

I have tried HP tuners on two conversion trucks and am unable to locate the VCM on either truck. I can not scan nor read the VCM. Both trucks were built by different people and different companies modified the harnesses and reprogrammed the VCMs. One of the trucks was tuned in the truck using ls1edit. I do not know what program was used on the other truck. I have used 2 different hand held scanners, Predator and Palm, on both trucks and both scanners worked fine.

Now for the confusing part.

I connected the HPTuner laptop to a 2007 Chevy diesel and a 2007 Jeep Wrangler and HPTuners was able to locate the VCM in both of them.

I have check the power and ground at the obd2 connector in both conversion trucks and they are both good.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks,
    LVJimmy

im running into this as well.. uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. gonna try again tomorrow.. worked fine once today then suddenly stopped..

Will be getting ahold of support if I cant get it going tmw. good thread. informative

Tuner in Training
    This happened to me.

Upgraded to the 2.5 OS for the E40. Then got the Beta release from Bill. Read a few tunes, wrote a few tunes (all in one day). Then checked what the MAP readings were (with the key off) because I have the DPE 2.5 Bar MAP sensor. They were out so I put in the values listed on DPE's site. Saved that file and then flashed that as the "Calibration Only" and about 3/4 of the way through it stopped and mentioned something about not pulling fuses, etc.

-I've checked all fuses, and they're good.
    -Battery is running 12.4 volts (even charged it up some and now it's 12.6).
    -12V pin at OBD connector is showing 12.2 volts.
    -Laptop dings when I plug or unlpug the interface.
    -Green light lights up on the interface when only plugged into the OBD port.
    -Checked the drivers and it says they're up to date.
    -Checked on a 2008 GMC truck and was able to do a full read with no problems at all.
    -When I first click "Begin" for a read or write it says connected, but then I get the error and it then says disconnected.
    -Every time that I get the VCM error message my ABS light flashes and shows up on the info screen on the dash.
    -Since the failed write "Check Oil/Service Vehicle Soon/Fuel Gauge Error" all show up whenever I turn the ignition on.

Vehicle is a 2005 Pontiac GTO.

Pretty darn bummed out right now as today was the first day the car was going to be driven in 11 months. The new engine and blower haven't even been spun up yet (car wont even turn over to allow me to prime the oil pressure).

I've already emailed support earlier on today with the info log.
    Last edited by EDISKRAD EHT; 08-27-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well this is about as frustrating as it gets. I've put over 70 hours into the car in the last 2 weeks, specifically to hope it was able to be started and put back on the ground for this weekend. Now to be at a stand still with the car pretty well wrapped up because of something like this is extremely frustrating.

Senior Tuner
    I have expierienced this before, but not on a GTO. The pcm gets locked and is unable to reset. The only way to reset it is by removing power for awhile. The pcm Should communicate when power is restored. Try this at your own risk, as I can not gaurantee results. Maybe wait for support to get back to you.

I follow this up with a write entire.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 08-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I know your pain. I did the samething last year and just walked away from it. I'm now attempting it again. I also now have access to another conversion vehicle which helped me figure out it isn't the vehicle.

Tuner in Training
    I'm very new to the tuning aspect of things, but I stumbled across something that might be the contributing factor.

While I was looking for the "debug.dat" file (which oddly I don't have but should with the Beta) I looked through the histogram file that was in the VCM Scanner folder and found this.

I have a 2005 GTO that uses the E40 PCM. What are all those E38 2bar designations for?

My base tune to get the car started was an email tune from a place I was referred to because they had the info I needed for the injectors I'm using. I was then going to build off of that. It was the tune pulled from my car, but then modified for the injectors and sent back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I have expierienced this before, but not on a GTO. The pcm gets locked and is unable to reset. The only way to reset it is by removing power for awhile. The pcm Should communicate when power is restored. Try this at your own risk, as I can not gaurantee results. Maybe wait for support to get back to you.

I follow this up with a write entire.
    I've heard back from support but everything they have suggested I had already tried. I'm still messaging with them back and forth to try and get to the bottom of things.

I also had the battery out and took it in to get tested in case my multimeter was off.

Since yesterday I've spent a good 15 hours trouble shooting this darn thing. If there was something to try (that has been listed on the internet somewhere) I've found it, and I've tried it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LVJimmy View Post
    I know your pain. I did the samething last year and just walked away from it. I'm now attempting it again. I also now have access to another conversion vehicle which helped me figure out it isn't the vehicle.
    Definitely frustrating. I've went as far as cutting all of the wiring that I did for my fuel, boost, and wideband gauges in hopes that it was something there. So now I have to resolder everything back together again.
    Last edited by EDISKRAD EHT; 08-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by EDISKRAD EHT View Post
    I'm very new to the tuning aspect of things, but I stumbled across something that might be the contributing factor.

While I was looking for the "debug.dat" file (which oddly I don't have but should with the Beta) I looked through the histogram file that was in the VCM Scanner folder and found this.

I have a 2005 GTO that uses the E40 PCM. What are all those E38 2bar designations for?
    Histogram files are histogram configurations for use with the scanner. Makes life easier rather than you having to create some histograms we've already done the work for you.

Tuner in Training
    I reverted back to 2.22 and it was able to read the VCM. I tried reverting back to 2.2 before but it wouldn't let me because of the 2.0 network mumbo-jumbo but Bill got me around that.

I put my old tune back in and I'm going to go from here.

I'm beyond relieved right now.

Thanks for the help Bill.

Tuner in Training
    Went back to Beta and tried writing a few tunes. They all went through without a problem. I even wrote the same tune that crashed and it went through as well.

Car is running and I'm in a lot better mood. Lol