Thread: L-36 3.8 V-6 Tech Question

Potential Tuner

L-36 3.8 V-6 Tech Question

Is there an after market intake for carburation that will bolt to an 2000 L-36 3.8 V-6 engine? If yes, would I be able to drop in a distributor instead of using the coil pak? Thanks for your support.

Re: L-36 3.8 V-6 Tech Question

no and no

Why the heck would you want to run a carb over fuel injection anyways?
    Keith&&99 camaro - cam & bolt ons&&13.65 @ 101 239rwhp/244 rwtq&&- in badly need of a real tune, help us v6 cats need more tables openned -

Potential Tuner

Hi Seppo_Kaitainen, I'm working on a drivetrain conversion and I'm looking for ways to make the conversion work with less headaches. I will be installing the 3.8 with a 4L60E transmission into my 2002 PT Cruiser. My biggest problem as I see it will be conversions with the engine harness and PCM. Just looking at all of my options before I make the final attempt.
    You said no and no. How sure are you about those answers? Thank you for your response.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_V-6
    Hi Seppo_Kaitainen, I'm working on a drivetrain conversion and I'm looking for ways to make the conversion work with less headaches. I will be installing the 3.8 with a 4L60E transmission into my 2002 PT Cruiser. My biggest problem as I see it will be conversions with the engine harness and PCM. Just looking at all of my options before I make the final attempt.
    You said no and no. How sure are you about those answers? Thank you for your response.
    I bet, that a carbureted 3.8 will make less than 205HP, which is the 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo. So IMHO, swap in a turbo motor from a PT and you will be all set. Later, you can upgrade your injectors, ECM and turbo and you will have 250HP with no problem. Just think about bolt-to-bolt instalation with no welding or fabricating...

Potential Tuner

Coolflames, you are right about that, however, I'm from the nostalgic 60's era. I will love looking at a rear drive Chevy V-6 everytime I pop that hood.
    You can see a picture of what the engine looks like right now, and of the PT Cruiser the engine will be installed in by checking out this link: http://ptcruiserworld.tenmagazines.c...s-1-album-6762

The intake would have to be completely custom as far as I know.

The DIS is really where the problem lies. (Distributorless Ignition System) It uses a sensor based off the crank pulley to tell the pcm where the engine is, and the pcm then tells which coils to fire and when.

I've seen a 3rd gen TPI setup that was converted to a carb. He blocked off the TB openning, cut a hole in the intake, and welded a carb mount to it. But without some kind of distributor I don't see how it could work. (w/o the pcm and coils still)
    Keith&&99 camaro - cam & bolt ons&&13.65 @ 101 239rwhp/244 rwtq&&- in badly need of a real tune, help us v6 cats need more tables openned -

Potential Tuner

Seppo, that is really an extreme modification. So, are you saying it is possible to run carburation with the DIS system if the intake was available?

Technically yes.

But if you still have to keep the pcm and coils I don't really see the point. Not to mention it would be a total pita to get working much like tune to run decent.

Btw that is not a 2000 engine. Atleast the intake isn't.

I say that engine is pretty enough as it is. Just start the nightmare of wedging it in the PT. But that is just MHO.

Potential Tuner

Seppo, yes I agree with you there. I just wanted to make sure I covered all options before I took the final step. Thank you very much for your support.

Tuner in Training

One more thing- I am not sure about the Series I, but series II 3800 do not have a distributor gear on the camshaft.

Potential Tuner

coolflames, yes, someone else has also mentioned about the camshaft not designed with a gear to accommodate a distributor. Thank you very much.