Thread: Table locations

Table locations

Since there is no definition files or anything even close for a 2.2 93 cav.. I am stuck with binedit to do the nasty work.
    So when I view a bin file that Keith posted the locator numbers start at 0000000 and go to 0002e20.
    I get the same with LT-1 and LS-1 files

So I checked out programming 101 that Bruce Plecan has posted.. and heres where I get confused.
    Take the spark table - Bruce has it at 0x035-0x106.

Now how does that address translate to the 7 digit binedit address?
    If I try to extrapolate that to Keiths file I cant seem to get it to match up at all..

Also.. are the locations of spark/fuel tables the same from year to year and ECM types?

Any suggestions?
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Tuner in Training

Re: Table locations

So I checked out programming 101 that Bruce Plecan has posted.. and heres where I get confused.
    Take the spark table - Bruce has it at 0x035-0x106.

The chip used in that ECM was 000 to FFF and it's loaction was D000- DFFF. It also had an internal ROM that was at E000 to FFFF.

Also.. are the locations of spark/fuel tables the same from year to year and ECM types?

Locations are based upon program(mask) These change for different computers and applications. You are going to have to find the tables.

The easiest way to find the tables in to disassemble and then run all the LDX commands through a sorter like excel. You can then figure out table size at a glance and start from there.

I you want post the bin and I will run it through the "blender" and get back with you on table stuff.

HTH

John

I cant pull code.. my burner is not working right.. I think its got a bad chip. I am scoping it out now...

So what exactly are the things Keith posted? Looking at them in hex I dont see anything that would be a table. Or am I just the worlds worst programmer wanna-be ;D

I need to learn this stuff myself.. and usually for me thats hands-on. I understand where things are supposed to be, and how they work together and what you change for this to be the end result etc. However once I actually look at code.. I get lost..

The sad thing is my first computer i ever owned was a 16bit Heathkit with a 6800 motorola that you programmed in assembly..

BTW.. anybody got a burner for sale in case mine died? :'(

UPDATE:
    my burner is dead. I now need to build another.. bummer....
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

well.. practice makes perfect.. lol.. I can now locate and identify 3d and 2d tables and can even figure the function of a few of them out.. weeee..
    Never realized how handy paper can be.. I plot everything out on paper, then if I need to I can convert to decimal - which for me is still the easiest way to identify stuff..

Now correct me if I'm wrong but even if table locations are different in various bin files the structure is basically the same. So if you can identify a 17x17 table no matter where its location is, theres a good chance its spark (or at least a good place to verify the theory).

And I will also go out on a limb and suggest that in same yr bin files the tables should be the same structure, and possibly some tables may have even the same data. So if you have a 2.4 4cyl bin file and another hacked bin for a LT1 you may be able to cross reference the hacked bin tables and find the matching table in the unknown bin. If not from data then from dimensions.

So is this theory sound?

Yeup, even though tables vary in location from year to year the structure is near identical.

As for 2.4 vs LT1, I'm not really sure about that. If it was OBD-II I would like to think the structure is very similar for every car.. but I haven't really looked outside of the 3.8 world just yet.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

I just got a new editor that shows stuff as: a6 f4 c3 d4 etc. instead of shound words.. its seems to be alot easier to identify numeric trends and therefore tables. I am checking it right now for accuracy against your files Keith.
    I have a question though...
    table values are not using the full word i.e 72c5 right? They would use 72 in one cell and c5 for another value?
    I'm going off what I see in other things like tunercat where the tables seem to be structured that way.

I haven't seen a table of bytes just yet.

Most of the tables I see are of words. I do think I remember seeing a few tables made up of double words.

i kinda thought so.. I am trying to find some old stuff.. I cant get into the gm-efi ftp area though to try to find some .bin files to play with..

I'm still trying to remain confused by doing ALDL and OBDII at the same time.. lol
    not to mention assembler... weee...

BTW my robot is getting smarter from all this..

Oh crap, I'm in the OBD-I forum..

Ignore what I said previousely. I do think there are single byte tables in OBD-I.

My mistake.

lol.. now u see what i am going through.. lol