Thread: Disable wastespark?

Advanced Tuner

Disable wastespark?

I would like to see this happen..
    2 reasons
    1) to simplify tuning
    2) make dynoing easyer

its a PITA at some dynos.. most operators are too lazy, ignorant, or not willing to do what you tell them to do it right.

And I Think its possible to wourk out a few more ponies w/o it..

GET TO WORK KEITH!!!
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

Re: Disable wastespark?

Ok, I will be the one to look like an idiot, what the .... is WASTESPARK?
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Tuner in Training

Can this even be done? If I'm not mistaken, the waste spark fires because GM DIS 2-tower coils are designed to fire both contacts at once, resulting in one combustion spark and one waste spark. I would think by design separating the two towers would be impossible. ???

Advanced Tuner

Waste spark is the result of using 3 coils to fire 6 cylinders, cylinders 2,4 and 6 get positive voltage and cylinders 1,3 and 5 get negative voltage, I forget the coil paring but i think 1-4, 3-6, and 5-2 are the pairs, every time cylinder 1 fires cylinder 4 also fires and so on. Gm has already changed the v8 engines over to individual coil near plug but the v6 are still paired off (less firing events so less heat build up).

so you are saying that you want to modify your operating system to operate using 6 individual coils instead of 3?
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Tuner

alot of after market systems use this style, it does not effect performance at all. the spark always goes to the side that is ready to fire, it is the easiest path for the spark to travel, there is only one strong active spark at a time, it just goes to one cylinder or the other. even electromotive tec 2 and 3 "which are bad to the bones engine management systems use this type of system, and i have seen no performance loss what so ever from this style.. if it was a problem i would think that they wouldnt do it that way..
    fast as fast can be..... When i hit the nos, youll be sayin... WAIT4ME!!!!!

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me
    alot of after market systems use this style, it does not effect performance at all. the spark always goes to the side that is ready to fire, it is the easiest path for the spark to travel, there is only one strong active spark at a time, it just goes to one cylinder or the other. even electromotive tec 2 and 3 "which are bad to the bones engine management systems use this type of system, and i have seen no performance loss what so ever from this style.. if it was a problem i would think that they wouldnt do it that way..

I dunno I was under the impression that it was a fuel effiency thing.. If it was not a big deal then why not slap it on all cars?? I just find it odd that we are stuck with it..

and too the others that posted.. by guaging your responces.. its a more or less mecahnical function and cannot be edited..

however.. I only have one reason to belive otherwise..

It seems to be triggered at upper RPM's only?? all of my dyno charts have a point where it more or less would kick in and well mess everything up.. heck if you listen you can hear it in the exhaust note (its right about the time the raspy ness kicks in) around 3-4k. I dont exactly remeber where it started.. (have not been to a dyno in a while) but it was consistant and repatable..

its quite odd..

Lets hear it chris or keith
    so i dont think editing it is out of the question..
    -Bill

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by rattle
    so you are saying that you want to modify your operating system to operate using 6 individual coils instead of 3?

Actualy.. I remeber seeing a kit that ran 6 small coil packs..

I want to say ZZP sold it.. but.. that dosent seem right.. so.. i guess it is possible..
    -Bill

Tuner

maybe your coils are just going bad and cant keep up anymore? have you tried a new coil pack?
    fast as fast can be..... When i hit the nos, youll be sayin... WAIT4ME!!!!!

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me
    maybe your coils are just going bad and cant keep up anymore? have you tried a new coil pack?
    nahh they are cool.. they have allways been this way..
    -Bill

Nope ain't gonna happen it is called waste spark because the running mate plug is actuallty fired in reverse in other words from ground to the electrode. You are not going to edit this out. It is a fact of how GM built the car.
    2nd Place is the first looser by the way who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk anyways.

Tuner in Training

I know this is an old post, but if you were to take a V8 optispark and get the crank sensor and reluctor ring from a V8, maybe you could do something like with the first V6's where GM literally chopped two cylinders off the 8, and skipped two spark plugs on the 8 cylinder distributor. It'd be fun to see tried....