Thread: '01 S-10 - Not sure Removing Torque Management did anything?

Tuner in Training

'01 S-10 - Not sure Removing Torque Management did anything?

My question about torque management relates to it in the Engine Section and the Transmission section. If you take it out of just one of them, is it like doing the exact same thing? Originally I did some adjustments with my truck using Hypertech years ago, and I found through HPTuners that one of their adjustments for shift firmness appears to be removing Torque Management completely from the Transmission section, but leaving it in the Engine section. I always hear that if you want to actually take out the Torque Management in your vehicle, you really are supposed to do it in the Engine section.

So I went to the drag strip last night (1/8th mile) to compare removing the Torque Management in one section, and leaving it in the other. My first two runs I removed it from the Engine section, but left the stock settings in the Transmission section. Both runs were a 9.1@75 mph. Next, I put it back to stock in the Engine section, but removed Torque Management in the Transmission section. I ran a 9.28@74 mph, ok so it appeared that actually did something. But then I ran two more times, same settings, and hit a 9.1@75 again both times. Each run I was spinning the tires, which wasn't helping the experiment, but the spinning seemed about the same length of time each run. I might have spun them too much in that 9.2 run, which is what got me that result. Unfortunately I didn't log any of the runs with the VCM Scanner like I wanted to, because the battery in my laptop was about to die out anyways.

So I'm just really curious, is there any difference with these two sections (Transmission TM vs Engine TM)? It really didn't feel like there was. Maybe my truck just isn't using the Torque Management to begin with? I'm not really sure.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes there is a difference but your tests were not scientific in the least making your tests misleading at best.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Ok so what could I do to find out the difference?

What does the transmission torque management setting do differently?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    TM usually pulls timing, logging timing would be your best bet, other than a steady state dyno and hours of dyno time
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Oh it works trust me. Customers always talk about the joy the butt dyno brings them when torque management is taken out. Remember there is engine and trans. torque management tables. Atleast for us Gen. III engine folks.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Potential Tuner
    Is your truck a 4x4? ZR2 perhaps?

Senior Tuner
    No my truck is a 2002 Chevy Camaro, Lol. BUT every truck I have tuned when you take out torque management its like WOW where the hell did that come from? Well that along with other modifications to shift timing, and pressure settings. If your trying to chirp in 4 wheel drive you need to do some serious upgrades to you trans. and diff. and well get some more power under your belt too for that matter. Trucks...boggle my mind when they want to go fast.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Tuner in Training
    TM usually pulls timing, logging timing would be your best bet, other than a steady state dyno and hours of dyno time
    So if I want to remove all the timing that it is pulling, should I remove it completely from both the Engine Section and Transmission section?

Oh it works trust me. Customers always talk about the joy the butt dyno brings them when torque management is taken out. Remember there is engine and trans. torque management tables.
    Its odd I didn't feel a difference like I expected to when I took it out of the Engine section. But maybe thats what I'm doing wrong, I'm leaving it in one section and taking it out the other? Do both sections (Transmission TM and Engine TM) serve the purpose of pulling timing?

My truck is 2wd, its a 2001 S-10 Xtreme 4.3 V6.
    Last edited by Physics; 05-15-2009 at 08:04 AM.

I had it zeroed out in just the trans section for awhile. Then I found out that the TM under engine was the main table. So I zeroed that out too.

EDIT: Damn.... over a year old post...
    Last edited by 12sws27; 08-16-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.