Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with torque management on silverado

Potential Tuner

help with torque management on silverado

i have tried alot of stuff fiddling around with it but it just doesnt seem to make a difference can any body tell me a step by step way to completely turn off torque management in the engine as well as transmission? its an 05 silverado 5.3 high output. heres my log

Potential Tuner
    does anybody know why in the hell it wont let me upload a log to here it just sits there and says uploading files please wait and doesnt do shit?

Senior Tuner
    It's your IE settings causing that, FYI.

Okay, to COMPLETELY remove torque management, follow these instructions below. Keep in mind, zeroing out the torque management on the trans will likely result in a sloppy 1-2 shift at WOT. Oddly enough, some of the newer classic Silverado/Sierra trucks already have the Torque Reduction zeroed out on non-tow/haul mode. Also, yhere is some redundancy in doing some of these below, but I listed everything, regardless.

Engine, Torque Management, General:

Maximum Torque
    RPM vs. Gear - Max out
    vs. RPM - Max out

Max Torque
    Max Torque - Max to 640
    Tip In Torque - Max out
    Trans Input Max - Max out
    Trans Output Max - Max out
    Front Axle Max - Max out
    Front Propshaft Max - Max out
    Rear Axle Max - Max out
    Rear Propshaft Max - Max out

ETC Limits
    ETC TPS Max - Max out

Spark Retard
    vs. Torque Reduction - Zero out

Torque Loss %
    vs. Spark Retard - Zero out

Engine, Torque Management, Abuse:

Drivetrain Abuse
    RPM > - Max out
    Speed < - Zero out
    timer vs. Trans Temp - Zero out

Trans, Torque Management:

Abuse Mode
    Enabled - Set to Disabled
    RPM - Max out
    TPS - Max out
    Speed - Zero out
    Torque Reduction - Zero out

Torque Reduction
    Normal - Zero out
    Performance (aka Tow/Haul mode) - Zero out

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by RWTD; 05-22-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Potential Tuner
    yes thanks man i appreciate it

Tuner in Training
    say goodbye to your 60e

Advanced Tuner
    I was using this thread as a guide looking at what a tuner did to my PCM on my 2001 6.0 before I got hp tuners.
    In the Maximum Torque vs. RPM table he zeroed everything out, while you suggest Maxing it out.
    Any idea why he would have done that?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchblackC3 View Post
    I was using this thread as a guide looking at what a tuner did to my PCM on my 2001 6.0 before I got hp tuners.
    In the Maximum Torque vs. RPM table he zeroed everything out, while you suggest Maxing it out.

Anybody have any input on this. I set my back to the factory settings on this table for the time being.

Tuner
    Max it out. It's Maxium Torque vs. RPM table, meaning it's the most torque you can have at any given RPM. Zeroing it out would mean you allow NO torque.

Advanced Tuner
    So, what is a safe level to set the TM to? How do set to say 75% removed. You can't simply set to 75% of max, because the max is extremely high in some tables.

Advanced Tuner

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Keep in mind, zeroing out the torque management on the trans will likely result in a sloppy 1-2 shift at WOT.

Why does this happen? And what can be done about it, if anything?

I have this exact issue on my 2002 Chevy truck.
    I do have a Corvette Servo coming for it, but am not sure if that will "fix" the 1-2 slop at WOT or not??
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Advanced Tuner
    Yes removing TQ managment will cause the shifts to feel sloppy on a stock transmission as RWTD said.If the transmission is a rather factory built 4L60E,I would personally remove about 50-60% max.I personally believe TQ managment serves a good purpose.

Advanced Tuner
    If you want to remove 75% TQ managment,go under Transmission>Torque Mngmnt> Torque reduction normal
    Highlight the table and multiply by .25
    Theres your 75% you wanted taken out.
    Hope this helps
    So, what is a safe level to set the TM to? How do set to say 75% removed. You can't simply set to 75% of max, because the max is extremely high in some tables.

Advanced Tuner
    From ALOT of testing because trucks are what I mainly tune I have found that leaving some torque management in usually allows for the shift to be completed quicker by a decent amount in some cases and have verified this by logging shift times in the scanner.

The vette servo alone in the trucks is a tremendous improvement especially to that sloppy ugly 1-2 shift. I wish the trucks would come with the servo from the factory.
    Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 01-01-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vortec View Post
    Yes removing TQ managment will cause the shifts to feel sloppy on a stock transmission as RWTD said.If the transmission is a rather factory built 4L60E,I would personally remove about 50-60% max.I personally believe TQ managment serves a good purpose.
    Yes vortec I agree 100% with you there, I too feel that TQ management does serve a good purpose. I *very* rarely completely remove TQ management.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    Yep,I do not ever take it all out UNLESS the customer absolutly wants it done,but I do explain what it is there for just so they cant say I did't tell them.
    Now if the transmissions are built by the 2 companies I feel are one of the best,then I will take it 100% out but never on stock.
    I agree,the vette servo does wonders for the stock 60E.
    Of course,I am sure they did not come in them as many owners would not want to feel it,they like that slippin slide transmission.It would make sense.
    I am not a huge fan of using to high line pressure when a servo costs 20.00 dollars.
    Sorry got carried away explaining there,new years and had a few drinks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS View Post
    Yes vortec I agree 100% with you there, I too feel that TQ management does serve a good purpose. I *very* rarely completely remove TQ management.

Zeroin out the torque management on the transs will have sloppy shifts just on the trucks or cars too?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by =fast= View Post
    Zeroin out the torque management on the transs will have sloppy shifts just on the trucks or cars too?
    I have my truck's TM settings the same as I had my 2000 Camaro TM settings (100% disabled) and it (the car) upshifted great 1>2 and 2>3. Zero slop, delay or lag. Both are 4L60E's and both are/were 100% STOCK transmissions.

My car:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgzLu59a5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh4BnfBMBg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWm8oGqdLps

I guess it must be a truck thing....
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Quote Originally Posted by vortec View Post
    If you want to remove 75% TQ managment,go under Transmission>Torque Mngmnt> Torque reduction normal
    Highlight the table and multiply by .25
    Theres your 75% you wanted taken out.
    Hope this helps
    That can't be all there is to it. That table is zeroed out on my truck from the factory but its pulling like 35* of timing during shifts. I logged it and it is "Torque Management Advance".

I'm now adjusting one table at a time to see which one is causing this. I have only ruled out Trans > Torque Management > Abuse Mode > Torque Reduction.

I think it might end up being Engine > Torque Management > General > Max Torque vs. RPM. I'm adding 25% to that whole table to see if it changes how much is puuled during WOT shifts.
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

Fighting solves everything...
    ...except partial differential equations.

Click here to combine multiple VE Logs into one.

yes corvette servo does give u the firmer shifts and chirp tires from 1-2 at WOT i also agree should be around 50-60% removed on stock 60e
    and the servo expands the 60e life a little longer
    4.8 222/224 pacesetter lts 3inch y pipe with magnaflow cai efan servo

Changing Engine > Torque Management > General > Max Torque vs. RPM didn't change the amount of timing puuled on WOT run but I reduced Engine > Torque Management > General > Spark Retard vs. Torque Reduction by half and my truck pulled half as much timing during the shifts.
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

Fighting solves everything...
    ...except partial differential equations.

Click here to combine multiple VE Logs into one.