Thread: 2001 Duramax, new to HPtuners, what exactly can i 'tune' with the Allison

2001 Duramax, new to HPtuners, what exactly can i 'tune' with the Allison

Hello all. I'm almost completely new to tuning and have never tuned a Deisel but i would like to try it. I am ordering HPtuners Pro Friday as its the last thing i need for my LS1 swap and while i was reading up on the listed vehicles i see it supports Duramaxes too which i also happen to have. I was over joyed!

Right now my truck has a cold air intake (similar to K&N just metal), a 3.5" straight pipe exhaust (no muffler). I am running a Hypertech programmer on stage 3, and a PPE boost valve.

Truck is a 2001 4x4, 4 wheel drive, long bed, Allison transmission, with a few suspension mods for towing. I used to use this truck for towing alot but now it rarely gets driven. I just put new head gaskets, milled heads, re-sealed injector sleeves, etc so I'm not concered with problems in any of those areas.

What i am looking for is a tune similar to the stage 3 hytech which i think is something like 90hp. I still will be towing with this truck every now and then so i may keep a tune handy for towing but id really just like a stock tranny tune with similar power. I would also like a semi-safe tune for towing around 15,000lb trailers.

A few questions i had were

Can i adjust the grade-braking setting of the allison transmission?
    Can i adjust the shift points and rev-limiter?
    Can i adjust the converter locking points?

I am buying the setup regardless to tune my 68, but i am unsure if i want to waste 2 credits on my truck if im only going to get the same results as my hypertech programmer.

Thanks guys!

Shawn

Tuner
    i got a good tow program, you can change shift points and such, with hp to, but ive found the stock ally tunes seems to work pretty good i just riase shift points a touch
    Joe ''House'' Kupferschmid
    Diesel Tuning man..
    FB me or
    www.angoladavesdiesel.com

Tuner in Training
    A 10% increase on shift pressures helps to.
    Last edited by gold270; 07-30-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gold270 View Post
    A 10% increase on shift pressures helps to.
    The allison's pressure is not controlled electronically Changing these tables does nothing. The allison is a very smart transmission, Tuning is not really necessary other than Wot shift rpm and rev limiter. If you screw with other things to much you can cause shifts to tie up and end up with burnt clutches.
    03 2500hd HPT, PPE, MBRP, K&N, SD
    www.DuramaxDiesels.com