Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 to the person who can fix my problem!

$100 to the person who can fix my problem!

Well I've been scouting the internet for a fix after i left the denali with my electrician for 2days with no solution.

Everyone has been saying it is a ground problem, but double checked the grounds, cleaned the surfaces and reconnected with same problems.

Again checked all wires to and from battery and all was good, cleaned out and checked all fuses in the fuse box with no problems.

I miss my first gear! By saying this, you can guess the problem only happens in first. I should be getting my tvs soon and with no first gear I won't enjoy it as much

Here's a log of what happens, my currect file and a video of the problem.

Anyone who can tell me or fix the problem will get a $100 straight up. (Paypal)

Thanks
    Bader

NB. I should add, the engine doesn't die. Only the guages and lights take a crap on me.. the engine revs freely when the problem happens.

Last edited by Mep_q8; 06-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

IAT is pulling all of your timing.

IAT vs spark pulling 10 degrees.

Burst knock retard 10 - burst knock retard multiplier

Kill the traction control too - torque management
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

check out the mark at 2:04 to 2:06 on the denali01 log, this is where the problem above is happening..

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Wow! Thats a weird one! Sorry but I have no idea...
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    If it's an open, which it looks like, you might be able to duplicate it by stalling the motor. Try loading it in forward, then reverse. If you can get it to do it one direction and not the other look for harness shorts or opens around the engine/trans.

Is it mostly rpm related or load related? When you say it revs freely does that mean it's like you push in the clutch on a manual? (trans freewheels) Any codes?

Work on trying to duplicate it at a stop. If you can do that, you can find it.

Senior Tuner
    Looks like load related...check wiring/fuses for loseness. Check for bad ignition switch (causes similar problems on TBSS's). The problems seem to be related to accelleration that flexes wiring.

Advanced Tuner
    bad ground or power wire at the PCM. i had the exact same problem on my Camaro. I dont know how the wires come out of the PCM on that, but Ill bet they are pulled tight at an angle. My main power was splitting so at idle, cruise it was fine, jump it and everything in the car would go off and on just like what urs is doing there. I ended up buying a new harness. Check the wiring within 6" of the PCM (power and ground) you'll find the problem..

First time, you posted about this I thought it was the ECM harness. I have seen this also. Very easy to pull pins out slightly and will cause all kinds of havoc.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Is it hard to start or does it become harder to start when it is warm/hot or any other signs of poor grounding. It is an odd issue for sure, and the only time I have seen a similar symptom was along the same lines as all the above posts where the harmonic balancer had just nicked some of the loom which looked okay to the naked eye and then when hot or under load sometimes you would lose everything, like you. Also it always seemed like excess load on the starter during starts worse when hot due partial short.

Has anything happened, been changed or anything that you can think of to trigger this?

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Is it mostly rpm related or load related? When you say it revs freely does that mean it's like you push in the clutch on a manual? (trans freewheels) Any codes?

When I shift down at WOT onto the 2nd there are no problems. If i keep the gear in 2nd and floor it till 4-5th gear, no problems whatsoever, so that makes it seem like it is more load related...

Quote Originally Posted by BBA View Post
    Looks like load related...check wiring/fuses for loseness. Check for bad ignition switch (causes similar problems on TBSS's). The problems seem to be related to accelleration that flexes wiring.
    The ignition wire leading from the battery to the starter seems to have disformed to the shape of the headers.. I thought this may have been a problem, but my mechanic keeps saying if it was damaged, the motor wouldn't even turn..

Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    Is it hard to start or does it become harder to start when it is warm/hot or any other signs of poor grounding.

Has anything happened, been changed or anything that you can think of to trigger this?
    It does take a while to start sometimes, but that only happens maybe once every 2-3days, i have to turn the motor 2-3times, but it could be due to the tune.. I haven't got my idle dialed in properly yet...

Last thing I changed on the motor was spark plugs and headers..

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    When i brake rev the engine then let off the brake and accelerate the motor does the same thing straight away... i hope this is what u were asking..

can u let me know what u mean when u say an "open" please..
    Last edited by Mep_q8; 06-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Tuner in Training
    When did it start, did you install something right before? The same exact thing was happening to a friends GTO after a motor tear down. His was a ground on the block. Also, in 1st, will it do it if you're not WOT? If you manually put it in 1 and take it to the redline, but not WOT, will it do it?

Edit: I see you installed plugs and headers right before.
    Last edited by SS#8788; 06-14-2009 at 04:00 PM.
    2002 Camaro SS - 556whp

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - ???whp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    The ignition wire leading from the battery to the starter seems to have disformed to the shape of the headers.. I thought this may have been a problem, but my mechanic keeps saying if it was damaged, the motor wouldn't even turn..
    what do you mean disformed? it could be damaged and still start if current is still running through it. When you get on it in 1st, the headers could touch it from the normal motor movement if they're close enough and shorting out that wire.
    2002 Camaro SS - 556whp

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - ???whp

If you checked all wiring and fuses and its not showing any thing i would say tray to flash it with tech 2 i would do that and check if it still doing the same thing . or it could be bad PCM .
    good luck .

finally took the truck to a decent garage, the problem was the ignition harness... everytime i revved the engine undr load the headers would squeeze up against the wire and chassis causing a short.. they re-located the wire and bada boom bada bing, no restarts or funky business!

SS#8788 pm me ur details...
    Last edited by Mep_q8; 06-15-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    finally took the truck to a decent garage, the problem was the ignition harness... everytime i revved the engine undr load the headers would squeeze up against the wire and chassis causing a short.. they re-located the wire and bada boom bada bing, no restarts or funky business!

SS#8788 pm me ur details...
    What headers caused this problem? I'll be sure not to purchase them for any future trucks.......
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

good to hear that you fixed it .

thanks, bu adnan to the rescue!

I don't wanna say anything yet regarding the headers, I'm talking to the supplier now and see if he will offer me any thing in return... if not and they give me a cold shoulder, ill be slating them off big time!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Tuner in Training
    be sure and check the motor mount.the one that pulls in the motor torque position.they go bad when you add more torque to a egine.[weak composite rubber]

Advanced Tuner
    NICE! I should have guessed that and gotten 100 bucks for my effort. :-)

Seriously, just glad you got it fixed.