Thread: G8GT, how can i tell when the shift

Advanced Tuner

G8GT, how can i tell when the shift

Is actually happening just looking at the logs ?

According to the current gear pid in the scanner, the car shifts from 1st to 2nd at 36mph at around 5800rpm. shift speed is set 34mph, and shift rpm 6300rpm in the tune.

While logging, my friend is telling me he's watching the tach go past 6000-6200rpm during the actual shift, but the current gear pid doesn't indicate so when i see it change from 1 to 2 in this case.

The car is a 2009 G8GT bone stock.

Is there something else i should log to capture when the trans is actually making the shift ?

I'm attaching the Hpt file, the cfg fiel, and a couple of logs i did today, one normal mode, and the 2nd one in sport mode.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 06-17-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ur scan shows like 6100-6200

u know what im looking at mine also

here is my comparsion
    my tune calls for 6300 RPM...
    1-2 32.0
    2-3 64.0
    3-4 102.0

by looking at the mph and rpm im showing
    1-2 40mph and 6050 rpm
    2-3 70mph 6150 rpm
    3-4 107mph 6100 rpm
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Is actually happening just looking at the logs ?

According to the current gear pid in the scanner, the car shifts from 1st to 2nd at 36mph at around 5800rpm. shift speed is set 34mph, and shift rpm 6300rpm in the tune.

While logging, my friend is telling me he's watching the tach go past 6000-6200rpm during the actual shift, but the current gear pid doesn't indicate so when i see it change from 1 to 2 in this case.

The car is a 2009 G8GT bone stock.

Is there something else i should log to capture when the trans is actually making the shift ?

I'm attaching the Hpt file, the cfg fiel, and a couple of logs i did today, one normal mode, and the 2nd one in sport mode.

Thanks a lot.
    FWIW........The change in Current Gear on A6's isnt when the shift actually starts and finishes physically, its when the command to change is given and the shift process commences.

The actual shift occurs at approximately the time the timing is pulled which is the time the clutch (i.e. the 2 clutch in a 1 - 2 change) engages.

The time between the command and the shift physical commence could be, for example 800-1000ms, followed by 500-600ms of TM timing retard when the actual shift takes place and clutch engage occurs.

If you log Torque Management Retard, the PCS Pressure (1-5), as well as current gear you will see where the shift is commanded, where it commences, where the main transition occurs, and where it ends.

Hope this helps.

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome, Exactly what i was look for. Thanks a lot.

Tuner in Training
    So... when we set the Desired Shift Time tables, what are those numbers referring to? Or said another way, at what point in teh shift process does that number start and stop measuring in this series of 4 items listed? And which PID do you watch for these?

1. the shift is commanded (PID = TM retard starts?)
    2. where it commences (PID = PCS pressure drop starts?)
    3. where the main transition occurs (PID = PCS pressure goes through curve)
    4. where it ends (PID = TM retard ends?)

Thx,
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Trans Am - LS1
    2006 Trailblazer SS - LS2
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali - L92

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Braemerz28 View Post
    So... when we set the Desired Shift Time tables, what are those numbers referring to? Or said another way, at what point in teh shift process does that number start and stop measuring in this series of 4 items listed? And which PID do you watch for these?

1. the shift is commanded (PID = TM retard starts?)
    2. where it commences (PID = PCS pressure drop starts?)
    3. where the main transition occurs (PID = PCS pressure goes through curve)
    4. where it ends (PID = TM retard ends?)

Thx,

It would be nice if it was that simple. Have you studied this thread:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ht=walkthrough

There are references to a patent in there. Good read.

Have you got logs of the sequences for the shifts?

The shifts dont start and finish when TM is in play. TM retard is one part of the overall sequence, albeit the most major part. Sort of like pushing the clutch in on a stick and at the same time shifting gears and releasing the throttle. There is other stuff you do before and after that. An auto is no different.

There are a number of additive/factored effects on the shift time. Its a build up of base + torque/rpm adds + inertia related factors + shift profile requirement + desired torque output.