Thread: odd 4th gear shift/lockup issue

Tuner in Training

odd 4th gear shift/lockup issue

Ive had this issue recently where the car will be in 3rd with the TCC locked, and then ill hit the speed where it shifts to 4th, and it will shift, but the TCC unlocks and the RPMs jump up and then it locks back up and the RPMs go to where they should be. its not happening on every shift, but i still dont like it. it SEEMS only to happen on really light throttle, but is really random and i cant get it to happen at will.

now, the trans is built and i recently installed a yank PT3800 converter, but the problem started happening BEFORE the converter when i started messing with the shift points. they were too low for my taste and i would get a shudder in 3rd and 4th. so i rasied the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points and the TCC lock and unlock speeds for 3rd and 4th.

Ive tried looking at other A4 tunes, but everyone has their own thing. ive seen some where TCC lockup in 4th is less and the 3-4 shift speed, and ive seen some where its a few MPH higher than the 3-4 shift.

i also noticed that nobody enables the "shift lock" function that leaves the TCC locked during shifts. is there a reason why people dont enable it? (nevermind, i just read it was harsh on the trans to leave the TCC locked during shifts)

this thing is just getting annoying and i want to fix it

Tuner in Training
    bump

Senior Tuner
    Lock-through-shifts seems to be model specific,
    whether it works or not.

I never lock in 3rd, it's too "busy" around town
    for my liking. In 4th I keep TCC lock a few MPH
    above upshift, don't like too many things going
    on at once.