Thread: Discussion on knock / detonation

Tuner in Training

Discussion on knock / detonation

Some questions about knock and detonation...

Is it possible to have detonation in a motor, without any knock detected either via noise or the knock sensors? (assuming the sensors are working correctly)

How would you determine if detonation is occurring without these outward signs? Can you read the plugs maybe?

It is possible detonation could damage a spark plug? Causing the ceramic to crack and fall apart?

If you switched from an aluminum block to an iron block...would the stock knock sensors no longer work? I know that GM often released both iron and aluminum blocks in certain model years (esp trucks), but I can't seem to find out if they released different knock sensors for those, or had a different calibration in the tune file to compensate. Any thoughts on that subject?

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGod View Post
    Some questions about knock and detonation...

Is it possible to have detonation in a motor, without any knock detected either via noise or the knock sensors? (assuming the sensors are working correctly)

How would you determine if detonation is occurring without these outward signs? Can you read the plugs maybe?

It is possible detonation could damage a spark plug? Causing the ceramic to crack and fall apart?

If you switched from an aluminum block to an iron block...would the stock knock sensors no longer work? I know that GM often released both iron and aluminum blocks in certain model years (esp trucks), but I can't seem to find out if they released different knock sensors for those, or had a different calibration in the tune file to compensate. Any thoughts on that subject?

Thanks.
    To answer the question on could detonation damage a spark plug? Yes I have seen really bad detonation break the ceramic and eat the ground strap right off the end of the plug. In the case I had seen the pieces of ceramic actually went up and got between the valve and the seat and beat the crap out of the valve until it passed it through and then the engine had a dead cylinder because the valve was leaking so bad afterwards. It wasnt pretty.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for that comment.

What are peoples experience with apparent detonation, but no knock detected, and no audible sound?