Thread: Write entire to VCM question

Write entire to VCM question

I brought up a tune from the HPTuners repository for a 07 supercharged Cobalt and then clicked OS tab on it and this came up in thumbnail below.

If I download the stock tune first off the car and then copy/pasted parameters/changes from repository tune over to stock tune file and re-upload changes is it still going to be a write entire function or is it saying this because ive opened a repository tune instead of factory tune off the car and it thinks im going to upload the repository tune?

Im used to doing Gen lll tune tweaks and re-uploads and always do a write calibration only on all of them and never got a box when I click OS tab before saying must do write entire so maybe its cause the Cobalt has a different pcm?

Thanks
    Last edited by 07cobaltsupercharged; 07-05-2009 at 10:13 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    A write entire is only necessary when changing operating systems, this is explained in our help file www.hptuners.com/help which is a must read for anyone starting out.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

If changes are available on that particular tab, and you make one of those changes, for that change to have effect the write entire must be performed.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    A write entire is only necessary when changing operating systems, this is explained in our help file www.hptuners.com/help which is a must read for anyone starting out.
    So when I actually go to upload this repository tune to another 07 Cobalt then it wont say write entire because the tune is going to same year car that I got off repository once I plug in my interface. I guess that screen came up above example cause I wasnt actually plugged into a Cobalt with my interface I guess.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07cobaltsupercharged View Post
    So when I actually go to upload this repository tune to another 07 Cobalt then it wont say write entire because the tune is going to same year car that I got off repository once I plug in my interface. I guess that screen came up above example cause I wasnt actually plugged into a Cobalt with my interface I guess.
    If you are changing operating systems you must use write entire. That screen is the same on every file in that any os changes or patches need a write entire.

If you are changing operating systems you must use write entire. That screen is the same on every file in that any os changes or patches need a write entire.
    I guess im confused in thinking im not changing OS because its a 07 Cobalt file I have going back to a same year 07 Cobalt so I thought it would be same OS for both files/cars and not have to do a write entire. I need to go read some more on this..
    Last edited by 07cobaltsupercharged; 07-06-2009 at 09:33 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you are not changing operating systems why are you looking at the OS tab? You are only confusing yourself.

If you are not changing operating systems why are you looking at the OS tab? You are only confusing yourself.
    Yea I know that now! I just happened to click it and started wondering why it said that....

Sorry bout that but I sure learned a lot more by going back in and reading what goes on when changing OS.

Thanks guys!