Thread: Odd Newbie Question, 2003 Cavalier Auto

Tuner in Training

Odd Newbie Question, 2003 Cavalier Auto

I circle track on asphault. I ordered a copy of vcm suite today, it'll be here Wednesday. The car is an automatic 03 cavalier, I race it in 2nd gear. I'm curious if I can "lock up" the torque converter in after a certain rpm and keep it there until I go under a certain rpm. I'm looking to keep the car held back the way a manual transmission would. Unless it does this already...anyone know? The purpose is for when I'm off the gas, I'm pretty sure it's in "lock up" when I'm in the fuel full throttle.
    Last edited by rickybobby211; 10-05-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something...

I looked at an 02 tune (closest I found), and only found TCC apply/release mph. Nothing that would really help you.
    Hawk

Tuner in Training
    I got my copy in the mail today. I see what you are talking about, but I'm not exactly sure what that means. I can use MPH also to keep it locked, since it will have to unlock before it stops or it would stall the motor. If so, how would I alter the tables to achieve this for 2nd gear only, or really in all gears would be appropriate since I never shift, not even for starts and restarts. Getting the desired result on the first try is important at this point.

Set your 2nd apply just below the mph that you normally race at, and the release below your pit speed, and that should get you into the ball park to tweak from there.

The apply is when the converter locks during accel, the release is the unlock speed under decel.
    Hawk

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I got you, so if I set my apply at say 50 mph, and release at 25 mph, then after I reach 50 it should stay locked until I go below 25. The only question I guess I would have is if applying the brake would cause it to release or if the release mph is the final say on what the TC does. Guess I'll just have to try it and find out.

Correct. Unless you have a setting that will allow 'controlled slip', IE TCC Duty Cycle, like the 4L60E and other trans have as an function- then it will probably still allow some slip under throttle.

On our Collie and TB, I have TCC Duty Cycle set to be 'on/off' vs PWM. On our GA, I have it set at the stock settings- the converter will be locked, yet allow so much slip/slop depending on rpm, tps, and other parameters.

Not sure on the brake situation. On the Collie it stays locked when I lift off, and when I hit the brakes, until I hit the release MPH.

I haven't drove my Collie in a few weeks, but I *thought* that once you hit the MPH, it stays locked- regardless of WOT or not. I haven't tried the GA while in a locked 2nd gear pull- I'll have to try it later for my own knowlege, but it would be the closest 'match' to what you are working with as far as functions/results go. I have TCC duty cycle available on the GA, but have chosen not to mess with it yet.
    Hawk