Thread: Fuel/Timing <-> Horsepower Relationship

Tuner in Training

Fuel/Timing <-> Horsepower Relationship

A couple questions:

1. Hey guys I'm obviously new to diesel tuning. I was wondering if anyone would share how much of a percent increase of fuel/timing would equal XXX whp - if there even is such a relationship. I really only need a rough estimate. The purpose is to give myself guidelines as to what to throw at the stock trannies out there.

2. My second pertains to limp mode. For the most part if you throw too much torque at the transmission and it detects too much slipping, does it go into limp mode? How does that work? Will the transmission protect itself for the most part? I'm used to 4L60/65s that like to self-destruct themselves hehe.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by mattgallan; 07-13-2009 at 08:50 AM.

1) For diesel tuning, you just try and shoot for a 50/50 mix with the timing/fueling for the perfect mixture then adjust fuel psi and boost.

2) The Allison has TM settings as well and based torque settings that it runs off of it. It will try too but you will burn it up if you go above 100hp esp. with a 4-5 shift.

the allison is a very smart transmission if it starts to detect clutch slip it will go into limp mode which will lock the trans into 3rd gear until you reset it by shutting the vehicle off for a few seconds and then starting it again.
    03 2500hd HPT, PPE, MBRP, K&N, SD
    www.DuramaxDiesels.com