Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Greg Banish's new DVD

Advanced Tuner
    You'll find Advanced Tuning book particularly interesting. You can go back and read that book every 6 months, and pick up new stuff that you managed to miss just about every time. The other book on standalones can really help with VE tables among other things. For the money, it's pretty hard to beat the books.

I would advise that you practice with datalogging and making changes before renting the dyno. Dyno time is expensive, and not the best place to learn.

I just piked up the Advanced Tuning book at Boarders for 40% off because their closing.
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Quote Originally Posted by pontisteve View Post
    I would advise that you practice with datalogging and making changes before renting the dyno. Dyno time is expensive, and not the best place to learn.
    Sounds like a plan. I was just thinking when it comes time for re-writing the VE tables it would be nice to have a dyno.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

Advanced Tuner
    Its not only nice, it's just about required. But there are some global changes you could make in the mean time that might get you closer. More importantly, you should practice modifications, datalogging, and data analysis. If you go to the dyno without much practice, you'll get little done and it will cost you plenty. Think days, not hours, on the dyno.

If you've got the process down pat before you go to the dyno, you can focus on grinding out the work steadily without fear of uncertainty. You should also know that steady state tuning really cranks up the engine heat, and in reality you'll do a small amount of work on the dyno, then spend 15 minutes cooling the car while analyzing the data.

^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Seems like you can run a couple RPM ranges for about 10 min, then have to let the car sit and cool off.

Do most dynos do speed limiting? Or is that just a benefit of a Mustang Dyno?

Advanced Tuner
    Well, any dyno that is load-bearing, meaning it has some sort of brake or electromagnet. Certainly the Mustang Dyno is the most common dyno to have this. Recently, Dynojet has added the "LC" or load control to their 224 line of dyno, but I have not personally used one.

You'll be surprised how quickly you can heat up the motor once you turn on the constant speed test. When the car comes up against the dyno's load control, it just holds that motor at that RPM no matter how much pedal you give it. And the heat starts rising.

Personally, I would find a Mustang Dyno.

As long as the dyno has proper load control (eddy current or AC motor) and the operator knows how to dial in a constant speed test, it shouldn't matter which brand you're using. I used an MD in the first video and both an MD and Land&Sea Dynomite in the second DVD. I've tuned on just about every load bearing dyno out there at one time or another and don't really care which sticker is on it for the steady state work.

Let's see (in no particular order) I've used:
    Mustang Dyno
    Dynojet xLC
    Dyno Dynamics
    Land & Sea
    Superflow
    DTS
    Dynapack
    Dynocom
    Clayton
    Burke E. Porter
    AVL
    I may be forgetting one or two more, but hopefully you get the point...

Advanced Tuner
    And for the WOT work?

WOT work is easy by comparison. Ideally, you would be able to hold steady state like they do at the OEM engine dynos. Since that's just not an option for most in-vehicle testing, we usually look to replicate the same loaded sweep test that mimics what the vehicle would do at speed. Usually this would be a ~4th gear pull working against simulated aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance found at high speed that makes it take longer and get warmer than just an inertial run on the cheaper dynos.

Advanced Tuner
    I do a 4th gear pull from about 2 - 2500 up to redline, using the horsepower test on a Mustang dyno. Takes a long time to go thru that long of an rpm band, but I figure it has less transients and generates more heat and is more likely to be a worst case scenario, so knock limit is put to the test more.

^ ^ Wow..

Hehe.. Just came in.

Advanced Tuner
    Read Engine Management first. Go slow, and try to absorb the info, not just read it. Think about what each sentence says, because I sweat that every single sentence in that book contains a piece of information worth knowing.

^ Oh it does.. I just can't expect myself to absorb it all at once and I'm not going to fool myself. I'm taking it kind of slow and easy.

30min a session is a good study method. Anymore than that and you need to take a break because your brain needs to process all of that information you just absorbed.

Advanced Tuner
    One chapter a day, thinking about each line and what it means works well. Sometimes I have to remind myself that reading isn't the goal. Understanding what the author is trying to tell you is.

^ Just read the first chapter of the first book. He obviously make it as painless as possible. Or else I just find it an easy read. There's a LOT of info even in these books! Definitely worth it, even seeing as the cost of just college text books is astronomical..... $20/ea for these is a steal.