Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upshift not happening as expected

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyws6 View Post
    Russ,
    I See On Your Main Timing Tables You Have All Of The Timing Values 0'd Out, Are You Leaving The Timing Adder Tables Alone Or Are You Modifying Them As Well Russ?
    The upshift times are .000 as stock on the 2009 C6 Corvette. The only changes from stock are what I mentioned, as well as the screen pic changes. I found out after many months of experimenting, that the shift times are not the way to firm up the shifts on the A6 trans. Even when tuning the A4 trans, I leave the shift times stock & firm the shifts by increasing the shift pressure tables.

Just make the changes as I posted for Dan Wendling, the key thing is to keep the torque reduction tables enabled as factory, but multiply the cold multiplier table by .25 to reduce the torque management by 75%, or by .50 to reduce the torque management by 50% if you want the shifts a little smoother.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    the key thing is to keep the torque reduction tables enabled as factory, but multiply the cold multiplier table by .25 to reduce the torque management by 75%, or by .50 to reduce the torque management by 50% if you want the shifts a little smoother.

Russ Kemp
    so why shouldnt we mod the shift factor table?
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    Well So Far It Is Better, But Now I Have Some New Plans In Mind.

I Plan On Sitting Down Tonight And Only Slightly Tweaking The Main Pressure Table With Some Small Pressure Adders. Then I Am Going To Tweak The Base Pressure Tables Independantly As Each One Of Those Correlates To Auto Mode, Sport Mode And Manual Mode.

I Plan On Getting To Where When In Auto Mode Under Normal Driving There Is Only A Slight Bit More Pressure, But When You Hit It Then Under Wot 90-100% Area It Will Hit Like It Should.

Then Setup Sport Mode And Manual Mode So That They Are As Firm As Needed All Of The Time.

This Way Normal Daily Driving When You Or Someone Else Is Driving There Is No Real Percieved Difference And It Will Also Help With Incliment Weather In Not Having Harsh Firm Shifts That Could Cause The Tires To Break Loose On Wet Or Icy Ground.

If It Works The Way I Think It Will This Should Be A Nice Change From Having A Firm Shift All Of The Time.

Advanced Tuner
    mistake
    Last edited by 04blackgmc; 07-30-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    I found out what ever changes you make to the base tables that you have to make the same pressure changes all the way across that base pressure table.

Example on the Base X table, I originally only added 20 psi to the far right column on the 1>2, 2>3, 3>4, 4>5, and 5>6 tables and left the others alone.

Well the transmission does not like that, causes some flare shifts because of the factory ship shift parameters. Once I made the same changes across all of the tables under that Base pressure table all is well once again.

Still tweaking along though...Uggghhhh...lol

Advanced Tuner
    I found out what ever changes you make to the base tables that you have to make the same pressure changes all the way across that base pressure table.

Example on the Base X table, I originally only added 20 psi to the far right column on the 1>2, 2>3, 3>4, 4>5, and 5>6 tables and left the others alone.

Well the transmission does not like that, causes some flare shifts because of the factory ship shift parameters. Once I made the same changes across all of the tables under that Base pressure table all is well once again.

yea my tune above the car DID NOT like under partial throttle was doing some 3-4 flare so now i have a different tune in it working fine so far.

moved all the oncoming pressure and offgoing pressure preset back to stock along with with oncoming volume... (stock g8gt)
    im going to try changing the oncoming and offgoing present to GXP stock and see what happens
    Last edited by 04blackgmc; 07-30-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    can someone explain why the Stock GXP and GT oncoming and offgoing present tables are so different?
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner

so instead of just adding like 20 up top of the torque of the table u made it 20 incrase across the board?

here is a example here i loaded my stock XYZ tables back in and then added 30PSI to all
    Last edited by 04blackgmc; 07-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

That is why I said to add 60 psi to the shift pressure tables, that means the entire table, not just the right column. These trans work a lot different then the A4 trans.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    so why shouldnt we mod the shift factor table?
    Because you only have to change 1 table instead of 22 shift torque factor/shift torque adder fields.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    I was actually trying to "configure" the shift how I wanted it more than aything Russ. I was trying to get it more docile under part thottle shifting and then get it to have a very good firm shift once under the WOT conditions.

I had your suggestions but with the main table being at 275 and then a additional 60 in the base tables it was brutal all of the time. I am now running 135psi for gears 1-5 in the main table and 120psi on gear 6 in the main table and then I went with a additional 20psi on all of the base tables.

This is now more firm than stock under part throttle and with the timing changes is very quick and then when you hit it is very firm with a good bark on the 1>2, 2>3, and almost barks on the 3>4 shift.

I agree though, lots of learing curve with this tranny.

Shane here is my most recent tune...

Advanced Tuner
    can someone explain why the Stock GXP and GT oncoming and offgoing present tables are so different?
    bueller bueller?

think it would be better to the run the more aggresive GXP?
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

I was actually trying to "configure" the shift how I wanted it more than aything Russ. I was trying to get it more docile under part thottle shifting and then get it to have a very good firm shift once under the WOT conditions.

I had your suggestions but with the main table being at 275 and then a additional 60 in the base tables it was brutal all of the time. I am now running 135psi for gears 1-5 in the main table and 120psi on gear 6 in the main table and then I went with a additional 20psi on all of the base tables.

This is now more firm than stock under part throttle and with the timing changes is very quick and then when you hit it is very firm with a good bark on the 1>2, 2>3, and almost barks on the 3>4 shift.

Try using the torque reduction table changes as I suggested for Dan, but first try multiplying the cold torque table by .5 instead of .75 for a smoother shift, and leave all the shift torque tables stock. I would return all the shift time adder, shift time torque adder, inertia factor profile tables etc back to stock. I've played around with those tables for days and gained nothing. I'm convinced the the base shift pressure tables & setting the cold torque multiplier is the best & straight forward method to tune these A6 trans.

Russ Kemp

Your shift will be harsh since you disabled upshift & power downshift. Not good for the trans.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training custosonlinux's Avatar
    Hi,

I want to open the hpt Files, but I can't see all the Torque parameters.
    Do I need a special Beta Version of the HPTuners Programm?

Kind Regards

Birger

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Your shift will be harsh since you disabled upshift & power downshift. Not good for the trans.

Russ Kemp

RUSS THOSE TWO THAT I DISABLED ACTUALLY MAKE NO REAL PERCIEVED DIFFERENCE IN THE SHIFT FEEL. I HAVE HAD THEM OFF FOR SOME TIME NOW.

I AM RUNNING .20 IN THE COLD TABLES FOR 20% OF FACTORY TQ MANAGEMENT. WITH THE PRESSURE CHANGES I MADE THE SHIFTS ARE NOW ALMOST THERE, FIRM UNDER WOT AND DECENT UNDER NORMAL DRIVING. I NEED TO PLAY WITH THE 3>4 MAIN PRESSURE TABLE STILL. WITH THE 135PSI IN THAT TABLE THAT PARTICULAR SHIFT IS STILL FIRM.

I ONLY HAVE MODFIED THE ACTUAL MAIN TIMING TABLES ON MY TUNE, THE INERTIA TABLES AND SHIFT ADDER TABLES ARE ALL STOCK OTHER THAN THE SHIFT TIMING ADDER TABLES BEING MULTIPLIED BY .90 TO REDUCE THE SHIFT TIME SOME FOR A QUICKER SHIFT. I MAY PUT THOSE BACK TO STOCK SINCE TAKING ALL OF THE MAIN TIMING TABLES TO 0 IS OK SINCE THE NEWER 6L80E FACTORY TUNES HAVE NO TIMING IN THOSE MAIN TIMING TABLES.

I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO GET RID OF THE TIMING PULL ON THE AUTO AND SPORT DOWNSHIFTS. WHEN YOU HIT IT NOW IT DROPS INTO THE GEAR BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT RAMP UP INTO THE POWERBAND INSTEAD OF JUST HITTING IT AND GOING.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THAT PART RUSS?
    Last edited by Sneakyws6; 07-31-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by custosonlinux View Post
    Hi,

I want to open the hpt Files, but I can't see all the Torque parameters.
    Do I need a special Beta Version of the HPTuners Programm?

Kind Regards

Birger
    YOU NEED TO EMAIL SUPPORT AND GET THE NEWEST BETA.

Advanced Tuner
    hey russ whats ur take on the oncoming volume preset

take baby steps with them or leave them alone?
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Advanced Tuner
    ok here is 2 tunes im gonna try tonight one is stock g8GT XYZ pressure tables with 30PSI added to all..with GXP oncoming/offgoing pressure

other is stock GXP XYZ with 20 PSI added with GXP oncoming and offgoing

gonna mess a little with the volume gonna try adding 2..
    Last edited by 04blackgmc; 07-31-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    [email protected]
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

hey russ whats ur take on the oncoming volume preset

take baby steps with them or leave them alone?
    At first I changed them higher, then lower, no gains that I could feel, so I leave them stock.

I would think the description of a preset, means just so the trans will initially function until the adaptive learning does it's job.

Russ Kemp