Thread: 1996 GMC Sonoma > want to use 1999 pcm for HPtuner

1996 GMC Sonoma > want to use 1999 pcm for HPtuner

Has anyone attempted or successfully swapped a 1996 pcm with a 1999 PCM on a 4.3l Vortec v6?

Notes:
    Truck: 1996 GMC Sonoma 4.3L Vortec V6 2wd L35 engine.
    Reason for pcm change: So I can adjust tire and gear ratios on it.
    Gears : 3.08 OEM and now has a 3.73 gear + locker
    __________________________________________________ ________

If this is too much trouble to swap out, is there an alternative route to correct the gear change in the computer? My truck reads 10mph too fast and wants to downshift everytime TPS is under 20-30%.. Its driving me up the wall and is killing my transmission from all the excessive shifting..
    Any alternative solutions?

GM dealer wants atleast $500 to change the speed sensor on the transmission?? I just don't get it.. I don't want to tune it(maybe I will) for performance but geez, it has 249k miles on it..

*I bought the HpTunerPro for my 2000 B4C Camaro but I would like to find a way to use it on my truck too. Thinking PCM swap for now..

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by BcableLEX; 07-30-2009 at 05:30 PM.

yes this can be done but hp tuners doesn't support the swap
    search 411 swap on efi live forum

Thanks for the heads up but I have a buddy that just did a lsx swap on his 2000 s10 and I am going to try his ecu in my 96 gmc.. They both have/had the same 4.3l engine.. I am just courious to see if it will even run.. Since this looks like something that hasn't been done yet, I will report back and let everyone know what I find and what troubles I run into..

I really want the HPT to work. If it doesn't, I will then go forward with my plans for a 5.3 swap.

the only reason i went to efi live is then i could swap in the operating system for a 4x4 truck if you're only 2 wheel drive then = no problem
    search here and look at eficonnections web site they are making a l31 5.7l run on coil on plug ls style ignition