Thread: VCM Scanner Controls 2005 Cobalt SS 2.0 LSJ

Question VCM Scanner Controls 2005 Cobalt SS 2.0 LSJ

I just received my HP tuner and played a bit with the VCM scanner before giving a try to the VCM suite, I noticed some problems with how the VCM controls react, and some sensors seems to be missing.

First I tried all the controls which were sane to try...
    MIL Light: First thing I tried, works.
    Then AC Clutch, clicks.
    I was surprised to see Boost could be controlled, and it surely works!

Enough with the working stuff, now what seems not to work:
    I tried Cam Phase, it didn't produce any effect whatsoever on the graphs, with any number. Alright then, I moved on..

Force Motor, I didn't play much more than On/not-On. I read help before trying it, it says it controls the Force Motor, nice description, next.
    Seems to be for automatic transmissions, should be indicated in help.

The Fan, I read on a thread that once started it wouldn't stop, even when tuned using the VCM Suite to start at some point. As I could see, I clicked On on Fan Speed, raised it to 70%, fan immediately started full speed.. lowered to 0%, de-clicked On, still full speed, disconnected VCM Scanner, still full speed, shut down the car, it stopped and didn't start back when restarting the car. Fan Low / Fan High didn't work at all, however it worked when I tried on another car, a Cavalier Z24 2001, but not the %, now I guess it's really car dependent.

Fuel and spark, Closed Loop works, and I was surprised to see how the O2 sensor make the idle rough, when disabling closed loop, the idle is more stable... anyway.

Spark Idle: no effect.
    Spark Control, that I was hoping to be able to modify spark advance slightly while rolling to see if the methanol kit would really be good, I'm really looking forward to tune it soon, and was thinking I could just try it out this way with a co-driver, but well, it's disabled
    However the Minus control which probably controls the Knock Retard looking at what number can be entered, is functional.
    I tried it out just to see what kind of power loss I could have from 5 degree of spark retard, just for the fun to try.. well nope! It didn't change anything except on Idle, if activated at 0° on idle or 20°, I get the same result, the graph shows the car does not get enough gas then dies progressively until Minus is un-clicked.

In special, I tried the RPM Idle control, works correctly, however, TPS is functional when cat is shutdown but does not work at all when started!!

Then for the sensors, I played around with all the sensors I was able to get with my interceptor, most seems to be working, couldn't find IAT2 yet, but I guess I didn't look enough, then I wanted to see my AC Pressure/Voltage, I wanted to see how good my AC was working, I wasn't able to get any data from it! I had it set-up correctly, in the tables and graph, tried on the Cavalier, surprise! I was getting the voltage and pressure, but not on the Cobalt.
    Fixed, for AC, voltage seems to work, but just not pressure. IAT2: Found it

I don't know if it's a problem on my side or some missing functionality in HP tuner itself, can anyone enlighten me?
    Last edited by TiCPU; 08-01-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typoes, fixed stuff.