Thread: Adding VIN# to Repository Calibration

Tuner in Training

Adding VIN# to Repository Calibration

I have a 96 m5 camaro with a 97 a4 ecu and a 97 m5 reference file from the repository. I copied everything over that I could view from the 97 m5 calibration to the 97 a4 calibration read off the ecu and wrote that new file to the ecu. I have a minor but annoying IAC issue if I let the RPM drop below idle when starting from a stop. Since the only idle parameter v6 users have is desired RPM and I think the culprit is some a4 idle stuff I cant view to change, I would just like to write the m5 file off the repository directly to the ecu, but it has no VIN#.

Any help? Cant license without a vin/os match, cant edit vin without a license.

Sorry Bill I am at work so if you sent me an email answering my question I can't see it until later and im anxious, ha.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

3" intake, pacesetter headers, 3" S-pipe, 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, exedy clutch, 3.42's and auburn LSD (back to 3.23's and open diff for now), Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 245/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires.

HPTuners Pro, PLX Wideband, 97 ECU

1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 93.57 before tuning

Tuner in Training
    As a side thought after re-reading my post, I am not asking for a VIN#. I am just asking how to add one to a file without one so I can license it. If I give support the .hpt file and a VIN# can they add it in for me?

Since this is a v6 pcm can I do a write entire of the reference m5 file without damaging the pcm? I have a feeling that will constitute as changing the operating system ID# requiring me to use a Tech 2 to change the native operating system ID# to keep the pcm safe.
    Last edited by saltnvinegar6287; 08-20-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5

3" intake, pacesetter headers, 3" S-pipe, 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, exedy clutch, 3.42's and auburn LSD (back to 3.23's and open diff for now), Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 245/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Vins can't be added to 97 v6 files, similar to the 97-98 LS1 pcm's the vin is not stored in the flash hence the reason some of the older files in our repository don't have any vin at all as they were read back in the 1.xx software days where we didn't even both to try to read the vin for those applications.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill,

Several of us have noticed out submitted tunes have not been added nor have we been notified as to why. I submitted one weeks ago.

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We don't update the repository, we oursource the work to one of our members(Horist) who usually updates them once a month or so.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I fixed the problem!

Went to a dealership and after literally two hours of explaining what my situation is, what I would like them to do, and how to do it (I read the Tech 2 user manual online), they stopped telling me I am doing the impossible and they wrote the 97 manual vin# and operating system I gave them to my 97 auto pcm.

Holy cow did they frustrate me, but I was persistant as hell and VERY patient with them. The one guy kept telling me the 96 and 97 pcms are not interchangeable and that the 97 is not flashable. Poor tech had to call and make up stories to "techline" for me to get a VCI# for my application until I was able to tell him directly that I had the vin# and operating system I wanted him to flash in, something the middle man superior guys left out.
    Last edited by saltnvinegar6287; 08-23-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L M5