Thread: started my tuning

started my tuning

I started my tuning by copying my high octane table to my low octane table. Then I added about 1-2 degrees to my IAT at the lower tables and decreased about another 3 degrees at the higher. I have been adding timing across the board and found I am getting some KR in the .80 and .92 area. So I have been taking my KR that I get and decreasing in those areas. I also lowered my PE enable Hot TPS vs RPM to 70 instead of 80 between 4800 and 6000 rpms. Also I have ditched my TRC1 timing retard module, so I am happy about that. Also, I bought a intercooler and I'm waiting to get that so I can install it. Are there any other areas that I should be concerned with?
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235
    2008 Silverado LTZ 6.0 L76 Dynomax exhaust K&N intake

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Re: started my tuning

are you using a w/b to tune? if not i would START there...tuning a blower is a little more complicated then adding timing across the board and taking out where your getting KR.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Are you running the FMU from the kit?

What was the purpose of advancing your low octane timing?
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64
    99 3.8L camaro, corn fuel, turbocharged.
    98 formula LS6, lid, SLP DD, 65lb inj.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix64
    Are you running the FMU from the kit?

What was the purpose of advancing your low octane timing?
    some people dont understand thats an easy way to blow a head gasket or engine...forcing your motor to run the high octane tables all the time is rarely the anwser to making more power as if you get a bad tank of gas get KR for whatever reason your gonna run into trouble real quick. Dont dance around problems get a Wideband and tune it right the first time so you dont have any problems down the line.

Tuner in Training

I know they are not quite apples to apples, but I had a non-intercooled powerdyne on my LS1 for a while and I could only get the WOT timing up to 11 degrees at peak torque. It made 450 rwhp so I know it was working, just not with much timing. If you are interested, I could probably post the timing table (let me know).

Put that low octane spark back in too. You should tune the high octane table until you get zero knock before even touching that.

-Geoff

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

hed probably be better off looking at the timing tables on my 00 gtp but yah i dont have crap timing in my gtp as it stands.

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    hed probably be better off looking at the timing tables on my 00 gtp but yah i dont have crap timing in my gtp as it stands.
    :rofl: i bet it has alot more then my camaro.. higher compression owns us..

I would not recomend adding timing anywhere with a powerdyne install..
    and dont use the gtp maps.. i did once, just for kicks.. it did not go too well..

-Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

I might change the lower octane table back then, but for right now the car is running better then ever. I have the tables pretty much where I want them. Before I logged my runs I would drive around until the car was warmed up. Then I would log my runs from there. I know when I add my intercooler it will change but I live in Glendale,AZ so this summer I will definately have to change it for the 115 degree temp.
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235
    2008 Silverado LTZ 6.0 L76 Dynomax exhaust K&N intake

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by ssms5411
    I might change the lower octane table back then, but for right now the car is running better then ever. I have the tables pretty much where I want them. Before I logged my runs I would drive around until the car was warmed up. Then I would log my runs from there. I know when I add my intercooler it will change but I live in Glendale,AZ so this summer I will definately have to change it for the 115 degree temp.
    you can definitly see some high intake temps once summer rolls around even with the powerdyne i think i was hitting 180-190 with 5-6psi with my s-10 during summers here in nj at the track non intercooled so keep and eye on that.

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by foff667

you can definitly see some high intake temps once summer rolls around even with the powerdyne i think i was hitting 180-190 with 5-6psi with my s-10 during summers here in nj at the track non intercooled so keep and eye on that.

yeah mine was seeing about 150-160 in the summer..
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune