Thread: 2005 Impala PCM going into a project...need advice

2005 Impala PCM going into a project...need advice

I am going through a project that involves using a 3800 S3 w/S2 intake and TB, a 2004 Grand Prix 3.05 ratio transmission, and *hopefully* controlled by a 2005 Impala PCM.

I have most of the "bugs" worked out of this, except for one thing...PASSKEY III. Here is the dilemma. I'm fairly certain I can disable it via the tuner, but...does this particular PCM need the BCM in order to keep the engine running? If so, I'm screwed, so please say I am worrying over nothing...and be truthful about it

Gee, thanks for the help.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't think mixtures of hardware are too common of a topic in this forum.... Just saying, there might be few that can provide this level of detail/information. With that said, I am not saying I will be able to answer you question(s) for sure either.

What car is this going in to? A 2005 Impala to match the PCM? If not and Impala, I would avoid a Impala PCM/os.. The Grand Prix pcms (I think an 2003 would work with the transmission) seem to be a little less picky about he little things it communicates with (like BCM) from what I have read... Anyway, first question is probably important part, what car is this going in to?
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

I guess I should have been a little more clear the first post. PCM is out of a 2005 Impala 3.8. Engine is sourced from an '07 Lucerne (now with S2 upper intake setup), trans is from an '04 Grand Prix 3.05 ratio, all going into a '97 Bonneville.

Now, someone told me through NAIOA.com that even though the '05 PCM can have the fuel inhibit codes deleted, it still wants to see the BCM through the dataline, and if it doesn't it wont start. He didn't know for sure, and apparantly nobody else does either. And since the Bonneville uses VATS and the new PCM uses PK3, they are totally incompatible.

What I need to know is if the '05 PCM absolutely needs the BCM in order to start and run the engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. I dont remember what the 03 GP GTP uses, but it might be a easier PCM to use then an 05 Impalla.. The 4t65e-hd changed a bit that year in the GPs, I think the saem trans was used from 03 and up, or at least the major change that required newer PCM started in 03 and was there in the later years as well. IF the 05 pcm requires a BCM or not, that one I cant answer. But, you should have given enough info for sure now. Anyway, good luck. Keep in mind it is a holiday weekend... You may not get other replies for a while.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

I'm getting conflicting stories, so I need a definative answer. I don't feel like wasting money on credits for this PCM if what I mainly need the Tuner to do is turn off the security and allow this PCM to run stand-alone.

I've read the non-alloytech VATS thread, where a guy running a 2003 GP PCM (same PCM type) asked about bypassing his, and was linked to that thread. Yet, I've read stories in the Fiero community that HPT CANNOT turn the security off with this PCM. Codes can be checked on and off, but no matter what's checked, there is no effect.

As this PCM is going into a vehicle that has an ancient BCM with the different VATS setup (which I'm bypassing anyways), this is important information to me. If it ISN'T supported it needs to be stated instead of having to go on the assumption that it "might" work.

Anyone???

Potential Tuner
    I use a PCM 03 GTP from ZZP (www.zzperformance.com), in my Fiero swap serie2 3800SC 3.5 pulley and supporting mods with 4t65eHD. I don't use BCM. My engine and trany come from a 04 Impala SS(serie2). Before when I install a pcm from Carlo SS 04 ZZP flash, My fiero died after 2 second...damn VATS... But The 03 GTP ZZP work great, VATS is deleted on this flash. I deleted somes codestrouble and modifie idle and shiftpoint on this flash with HPtuners. If you need my flash send me a email on [email protected]

If you try a PCM 99 GTP, the engine start but... trany not work with this flash... only first and second gear work... (if you use wiring and pcm come from a Serv.# 12583827) (because a 99 GTP is not the same Serv.# 16236757)
    Last edited by skorpio132; 05-15-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Potential Tuner
    and the serv.# 12583827 is the same for 03 GTP and 04 Impala SS... If your 05 Impala ss is serv.# 12583827, my flash work without bcm

Ha...I sold that project off about 6 months or so ago.

What I ended up doing was flashing the '03 Grand Prix OS to the '05 Impala PCM since that OS doesn't need to see a BCM. I tried everything I could possibly think of to get that Impala OS to work, but no dice.

My new project is an '01 SSEi that eventually will see another '06 transmission and will probably be swapping PCMs on that. First, I need to get the engine back together