Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tvs question

I forgot to take a look at the MAF. It hasnt been touched, same as stock.

Here is the tune if anyone else wants to take a look
    Last edited by angrygoat; 09-17-2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

yeah that one is similar to the one I was sent by magnuson. Its not pretty.

Sort of a related question. In all the maggie tunes Ive seen, PE is commanded with any throttle position (2%+), and a map reading of 85kpa+.

But what happens to the stock PE settings, like all the other areas that are not above 85kpa that need PE?
    Example: stock gto tune - PE enrichment 1.210 at 5500rpm. map enable 15kpa, tps enable 11%.
    With the maggie tune, I could run at those same conditions (light throttle), but under 85kpa. So no PE would be commanded....

am I thinking right here?

I'm not sure I understand. You want PE to enable below 85kpa?
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Quote Originally Posted by angrygoat View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. You want PE to enable below 85kpa?
    well i guess what im saying is that since PE enables in the stock tune below 85kpa, is it ok to ignore that fact.

PE enables on a bone stock N/A tune below 85kpa (under other certain conditions of course), and under light throttle with a maggie it is possible to meet those same conditions, but since the enable was upped to 85, it will not enable.

Tuner in Training
    looks to me as the Mag tune is very safe ie: although it is commanding 17deg @ 1.00 g/cyl then you got -5deg @ 80deg c which is about a constanant temp on these chargers intercooled , then -5deg for knock as the knock sensors will pick up noise from the charger , then -10deg for burst knock .

so although they are commanding 17 deg your now at -3deg

Btw at 9psi the maf will max out at around 3500rpm , 2bar speed density will give you another 50hp midrange

Quote Originally Posted by mce View Post
    you got -5deg @ 80deg c which is about a constanant temp on these chargers intercooled
    (80C = 176F)

these tvs units run significantly cooler than any other generation of eaton blower... i see 90-100F max cruising around in the summer and 110-120F max under WOT.

even with my old 112 blower, 140-150F was about normal WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCiv View Post
    well i guess what im saying is that since PE enables in the stock tune below 85kpa, is it ok to ignore that fact.

PE enables on a bone stock N/A tune below 85kpa (under other certain conditions of course), and under light throttle with a maggie it is possible to meet those same conditions, but since the enable was upped to 85, it will not enable.

I think I understand now. The stock tune calls for 15kpa but 5000rpm delay. It would be very easy to achieve that 15kpa cruising. 85kpa ia actually lower than what I run, I run 90kpa. Merely so the PE will enable a little sooner and by the time Im actually making boost, the AFR should already be at commanded instead of still on the down slope to commanded AFR. Just a personal preferrence for me
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

I think I understand now. The stock tune calls for 15kpa but 5000rpm delay. It would be very easy to achieve that 15kpa cruising. 85kpa ia actually lower than what I run, I run 90kpa. Merely so the PE will enable a little sooner and by the time Im actually making boost, the AFR should already be at commanded instead of still on the down slope to commanded AFR. Just a personal preferrence for me

from what ive read, the delay is non functioning in the e40 pcm. and yes on the stock maggie tune, i was able to hit high rpms (light throttle) without entering PE where on the stock tune PE would have been enabled.... i just dont know of another option besides a 2 bar os. with that I would keep the PE stock, and use boost enrichment to richen it up under boost. it uses the richer of the two so they would both work as intended...

so PE is just based off of tps and map on the E40? Would be easy to check. Chagne the delay rpm and use the staus bits to see when it goes into PE
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

so PE is just based off of tps and map on the E40? Would be easy to check. Chagne the delay rpm and use the staus bits to see when it goes into PE
    i think so..

ill try to find the thread where someone tested it, but i think the delay as well as the enrichment rate do nothing when changed....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCiv View Post
    (80C = 176F)

these tvs units run significantly cooler than any other generation of eaton blower... i see 90-100F max cruising around in the summer and 110-120F max under WOT.

even with my old 112 blower, 140-150F was about normal WOT.
    I am guessing that you are picking up IAT in the intake , where we have the IAT in the intake port after the blower

Quote Originally Posted by mce View Post
    I am guessing that you are picking up IAT in the intake , where we have the IAT in the intake port after the blower
    nope. iat sensor is after the blower...actually inside the blower manifold, with the thermister positioned directly under the intercooler.

Senior Tuner
    That's testament to both the blower AND the HE/IC system employed. Great work on that Magnuson, now get a tuner in-house who knows what he's doing, LOL!
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    That's testament to both the blower AND the HE/IC system employed. Great work on that Magnuson, now get a tuner in-house who knows what he's doing, LOL!
    agreed, but dont forget they have certain restrictions to get CARB certification on their kits. I guess they have to work with what they can, and im pretty sure maf/ve are for the most part off limits...

Senior Tuner
    That's probably very true, yes. Sucks, but how it is. It's truly sad how ridiculous the emissions laws are in regards to things like this. If you change the diameter of the MAF housing, it changes the curve. We can probably thank the automotive industry for how the Feds look at all this.

Now that I think about it, Kenne Bell gets away with altering the MAF curve, and almost all of their kits are CARB certified. Hmmm!
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)