Thread: Knock Sensor adjustment for noisey blowers

Knock Sensor adjustment for noisey blowers

Hello,
    Have anyone detuned the knock sensors to help make up for noisey roots blowers and valave train? If so, what table or tables is best suited for doing this? What is a safe range for adjustments? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

Any Thought?

Any thoughts on this from the masters? RWTD? Eric Brooks? Anyone?
    Paul
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

Tuner
    I have had trouble with this, had to desensitize a lot, to a point where they may not pick up light detonation. Ended up with a conservative ignition table.
    The blower was a whipple, yours?

Advanced Tuner
    Zero out the knock reduction table

Senior Tuner
    I've never really had to modify the knock sensors too much, but on the roots/screw blowers they may need some work. If you look at a stock Whipple calibration for an S197, I'm pretty sure you will see that they have been modified. If you're picking up a lot of KR, chances are your spark table is a bit too aggressive, or something else is amiss.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Thanks for all your input. RWTD, I don't think I'm too agressive at 10 degrees or less under 4k and ramping up to 15 from there. I ended up desensitize the sensors some by scaning the car with SCT and seeing threshold numbers. Then I inputed those threshold numbers into the table values for each cylinder of knock sensor threshold table. Then I increased the gain to allow it to add timing back in quicker if it detects a little knock on tip in. This seemed to work very well. Car ended up making 570HP on street tune with 16 degrees and 14psi boost.
    Paul
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

On all the whipples I've tuned the factory KS and calibration has worked pretty well in 99% of cases, very well actually. IMO there are more issues with centrifugal blowers, I don't feel the KS work as well with them.
    Justin Starkey
    Ford and GM custom tuning
    Mobile Dynojet 224xLC
    www.VMPTuning.com
    2006 F250 CC 6.0L 14.3@92
    2006 Mustang 4.0L Vortech 15psi 395rwhp wife's car
    2000 Mustang 3.8L TT [email protected] 450rwhp