Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The LNF and the boost controller.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    There is a pic earlier in this thread of which line it goes into. It's not easy to get a pic of where it is on the car, sorry. It's about the hardest line to access from under the car.

Disabled codes P0106 & P2237 that I've been seeing as (immature) .

Tried to get the pill in the line but couldn't get it. Went back to my original hose pill adapter. Good news is no coolant is leaking. I guess it was condensate or road splash yesterday. No signs of coolant stains on anything under there.
    That pic shows nothing. Someone said that it was the first hose to see if your looking from the bottom so is it the bypass hose you put the pill in

No, it's the line coming down from the scroll area on the top of the turbo.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Put the pill on the bypass and you'll have a fun roller coaster of boost! Up, down, up down.... made that mistake when I had my MBC on. To make it a little more clear, you want the hose going to the compressor cover closest to the FRONT of the car.

---

OK, so I took the car out for a spin finally, and all I can say is:

From about 3100-4800 the MAP PID is pegged and useless. The RPD is reporting 25.something of boost (when I can keep my eye on it) and then trails off to 22.8 or so at redline. I honestly don't think its really useful anymore as a boost guage, need to get a mechanical in there. Maybe someone on CSS will buy my RPD + Pillar.

wantedSS/TC, I was also getting NO DATA on my boost guage on the RPD. I played around with my overboost settings and havent seen it do it since. Attached is a JPG of how I have mine right now. If you get a chance try it and let me know. I was also getting P106, but no CEL ... since changing to those I havent seen it again. I'm wondering if the pending CEL was making the RPD pissy, who knows.... I'll keep my eye on it tomorrow at the track and see if it fails again.

My clutch can't hold high load digs from 3rd/4th anymore, so I guess I know what my winter project is. My clutch has never done that before.

Stock car except for a catted DP, and seeing 32.x lb/min at the MAF in the midrange. Able to hold 31.8 until redline. Also seeing some upper 31 VE's here and there. Most airflow I've seen out of the car yet. I did have to knock a couple degrees of timing out to get knock under control I guess this 91 octane isnt digging 15* and mid-20psi of boost anymore.

I'd like to try throwing a couple washers under the WG and see if I can get it to hold a little more boost to redline. That worked like a champ on my MR2.
    Last edited by Gimpster; 09-26-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I dont understand what putting washers under the wastegate is. I am going to be putting my "pill" in today

Advanced Tuner
    My car lives race gas. I didn't get a chance to do the pill (I think she might be pregnant now, lol), but boy did I get some timing outta her. I was running 20* advance by the end of the night, and not a single sign of knock.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a meth kit waiting to be installed so i can do both lol

Unbolt the WG actuator and shim it out with a couple washers. Attempt to increase preload on the spring so it'll stay open longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
    I dont understand what putting washers under the wastegate is. I am going to be putting my "pill" in today
    Yah I think I need to look into meth too. I can't afford to run race gas all the time, and 91 is good as it gets in central Iowa anymore. I want mah timing back.

Wow, so not sure what changed between last night and today (same temp pretty much) but had SEVERE audible knock doing a freeway merge today. Had to get my foot out of it quick. Even my wife was like "what was that?!". That was on the STOCK timing map even.

Maybe I better remove this thing since I can't get good gas.

My tune always shows some KR, just the ECU doing it's thing. Only time I didn't show any was when I was running a 100 octane leaded blend on 17* advance. I still run more advance on the 17* tune than a 12* tune with no KR. I let the ECU max it out as far as it can. Maybe your clutch was chattering? Wheels slipping? Log it before you do anything drastic.

The 93 octane around me doesn't perform like Term's 93 octane.

Advanced Tuner
    Gimp, Did you get a good log of this knock? Or, could it be an actual, mechanical knock?

Remember that until you get into the PE Lambda table that your Lambda is commanded at 1.0, part throttle will knock worse on that than your richer PE table.

This was an audible "marbles rattling" knock event today. It happend on a 5th -> 3rd mash pull. The car then backfired pretty bad, which I assume was the timing being retarded close to TDC/ATDC. Sounded like antilag almost. I mean I guess it couldve been a clutch chatter, but I don't think so.

Last night I saw 3-4* while logging tops, and then dialed it out moving the timing down a tad. I had been sitting in traffic for awhile before getting on the freeway, so I'm sure that didn't help.

FWIW I last filled up 91 at a semi-shady Amoco that happens to also be a fried chicken establishment two weeks ago

Get this though, I just found 93 octane here in town off a tip from a local forum member. For whatever reason the Wal-Mart way on the east side of the city has 93. Like a 15 mile drive to get to it. Logged on the way back and saw no knock from a dig, 5th->3rd->4th pull etc.

EDIT: Still no DTC's pending or anything, and the RPD hasnt coughed out "NO DATA" yet.
    Last edited by Gimpster; 09-26-2009 at 02:36 PM.

You know, I bet thats a big part of it. The few times I've had audible knock before were all on the roll tip-in events.

NEED MORE FUEL CONTROL HPTUNERS, PLEASE. Accel enrichment would be dandy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Remember that until you get into the PE Lambda table that your Lambda is commanded at 1.0, part throttle will knock worse on that than your richer PE table.

You know there is no more true Amoco, I work at the old Amoco refinery in Indiana by the lake, they are all BP now. Merged in 1999. They still call it Amoco Ultimate, but only around this region. It's 93 octane around here. If they have an Amoco sign, they're getting whatever from wherever.

I thought of trying to richen up the 60 - 80% PE tables some to help mine on tip in, haven't tried it yet though. Maybe around .95 to .92 since I'm .90 in the 90 & 100 % columns.

Potential Tuner
    I did this today and it was a bitch getting the clamp back on the hose due to the location.

Bone stock car with the hp tune and k+n drop in. The car holds 24-25psi until 6000rpm and drops to 22-23psi around 6000-6200rpm. I got excited and hit on it in 2nd gear before having overboost limp mode turned off...it kicked in and shut the car down to no boost. A 3rd gear punch it will see a 29-30psi spike...i'm not doing that again. My tuner turned the overboost rpm up and I got to run it through the gears with no knock and holding 24psi

We now have our own HP Tuners "infiniboost". Thanks for the awesome tip and install instructions everyone.

Advanced Tuner
    The more I think about it... the more I am not sure i want to do this... Sounds like some people are having the problems I had with the MBC... boosting to 30 in 3rd gear punches, and knocking at part throttle. Just not sure if I feel like risking my engine/turbo. Not to mention, its getting cold here, and the Balt is about ready to go away for the winter.

Maybe HPT will get some wastegate tables this winter...

Honestly I have to agree with you mkriebs. I might remove the pill and just wait for full solenoid control. The tip-in boost is so unpredictable, honestly this is almost like running with the hose off the WG for a good portion of the RPM band. Turbo just SCREAMS and I don't even want to imagine how far its over speed.

I had a decent experience at the track tonight though, but its 3AM now and I'll post more tomorrow.

Also will have some posts/logs for the "limplimp begone" thread too. I had P0106 and another one for MAF out of range rear its head tonight. The car never went to limp mode, but my RPD quit working again soon as those codes set (says NO DATA). A key cycle fixes it, but blah... would prefer they just totally kill those CEL's. The MAF one didn't start to pop until after I started seeing 34lb/min airflow on the MAF.

Too tired to find it now and will tomorrow, but I remember a thread talking about why the GM Stage 1 kit had 3bars in it, and I THINK both of those CEL's were codes Bill Duncan said the sensors were added to avoid. I don't think the TMAP would kill the MAF CEL, but I bet they raised that threshold.

Wow I'm rambling.

I had the 30PSI event in a 4th gear pull last night, it was too, too much! Thought something would blow!!!

I removed the pill today, nice experiment but I'm afraid I'd blow it up with that much boost all the time. Went back to my 22 psi tune & re-enabled P0106.

Hoping for the proper tables to control it better.

Finding out this was one of 69 Imp Blue 'balts prooduced in '08 makes me want to park it instead of it being my DD. Looking for a '94 Gutless Supreme or something similar to make it through the winter.

Potential Tuner
    I'm probably going to pull the pill out and try drilling it out alittle. I wanted more boost but I feel 24-25 is too much.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I'm probably going to pull the pill out and try drilling it out alittle. I wanted more boost but I feel 24-25 is too much.
    Thats also a good idea. You can get different sizes too. I just think that nothing will work quite right, since we are slowing the response of the wastegate.