Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 09 Cobalt SS Aftermarket Turbo Low Boost Level Issue?

Since I assume you're an HPT dealer (or at the very least a shop), you should start banging the gong for us on boost control solenoid table(s). I'd be pretty happy with just that table being unlocked for now. Would prefer that over using restrictions on the BCS source.

If there was a table that allowed us to manipulate the desired duty cycle... that would be bonkers!

Anyone from HPT reading?

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

There's talks of that and something with the BPV's control coming up. Others a dying for fueling. It's out in the open and we're 3rd on the list with the thing on the top of the list being wrapped up. It's coming

We tried a .030" and .025" and didn't have much luck (it works a little, don't get me wrong). It's holding about 21.7PSI or so. Can't get this thing to go above 251kPa. 345 RWHP SAE.

We noticed with the pill in, it seems to hold 95% duty cycle up until like 3500-4000rpm where the turbo really starts spooling and then drops down to 70% or so.

The fuel stuff I got straightened away.

I noticed this car, on hot start, it takes forever to go into closed loop. Anyone know why? It looks like the cat temp needs to be somewhere near 500 before it will start trimming. It's annoying!

What do these things handle for timing? I'm shooting for 16-17 @ WOT... is that good?

I got the STFT's to 1% at WOT!
    Last edited by tillman speed; 10-07-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Some people are able to get into the upper teens w/timing on decent pump gas. No tuning expert here, but I'd say 16-17* isn't aweful by any means for a car that has to drive around. At least in my limited experience on this car so far. Theres a gentleman on the Cobalt forum posting about getting away with 20* on his car.

And yes, I also get hot start weirdness on my car too. Really need control of the cat warmup tables, but thats pretty far down in the wish list right now. Going wot for a second seems to kick it out of that mode though for me, I have to do it almost everytime I leave my driveway.

Out of curiosity, have you just put an MBC on the car to see what she can do?

Also would you mind posting your latest log? I'd like to see the MAF airflow because I have a stupid theory. Doing a pull with an MBC set to your desried boost and comparing it to your last run would be pretty key.
    Last edited by Gimpster; 10-07-2009 at 03:09 PM.

That's what I was looking for... like on the ford processors you can adjust how long to go closed loop based upon startup ECT. If you're 150+ degrees startup temp, it only takes about 15 seconds from the FACTORY on most new applications.

It sucks when you're on the dyno trying to keep things cooled down and have to wait until the catalyst hits 500 degrees.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Yah, what you're after is what we need... either a counter to just access to the temperature table its looking at. Either way we don't have that functionality right now.

I edited the heck out of my post above, if you could take apeek sorry I have a bad habit of posting and then going back.

Here is my latest two runs.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Better on the PE table. I would still increase the DAL's quite a bit more tho! They are not a direct correlation to KPa, Term knows the formula for that off the top of his head tho! lol. I have it in a PM somewhere actually. But basically, dont be afraid to jack them up
    The ECM takes into account your desired airloads, max airload torque table, optimum engine torque table (dont mess with that table it is used for internal torque calculation when Lambda=1.00) it takes those into account and converts that into desired boost. How is the HP war comming along? Are you on 93 octane? Start increasing the timing. That will give you more HP and more torque in the midrange.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tillman speed View Post
    Here is my latest two runs.
    Too much timing above 5500. You had a solid 3* of KR there. The actual airloads seem very low for that moster of a turbo compared to my stocker anyway. Your MAF flow is only 33 lbs/min. My car with the stock turbo and modded stock airbox flows 34. There is something severly limiting your airflow. I dunno what.

The log 5 is starting to look a lot better, actually pulling more VE and MAF. Term is right tho, im pulling a lil more on the stock turbo as well so something still seems off.

Did you put the pill in the right line for sure?? Disabled 0106 codes??

Wonder if this could be intercooler related? Stock cobalt intercooler. Could that be limiting boost?

Pill went into the supply line to the wastegate selenoid. 0106, all 3 or 4 are disabled.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Does Dejon (or PTE really I guess) put an adjustable WG rod on those things? Or is it externally gated?

There's an adjustment rod.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Maybe try give that sucker a little shortening

True story! Good thinking!

The funny thing about that is that we had to modify the arm to make it fit. They had it hitting the firewall, etc. But long story short... when it came to us the bypass was weak compared to the factory one. I just went over and you cant move the factory bypass by hand. This one you can grab and move. There's a ton more pressure on the factory one. We're going to shorten the rod right now.

Chris

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Okay what we were able to do since the rod already had to be modified in order to get the thing to stay tight, was bend the bracket. This put alot more pressure on it. We were able to get 253kPa out of it, roughly. It seemed a little better... The log is very clean too, great fuel trims (minus some low load low-mid rpm) which actually sampled on decel most of the time.... and great timing!

35# of MAF flow, 30# of VE flow...

What would happen if we just bypassed the wastegate selenoid and forced this thing closed? We could monitor the boost with a manual gauge... what else could happen?

Chris
    Last edited by tillman speed; 10-07-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com

Def looking stronger still. Do you have the pill in still??

Pill is inline right now... .025". DAL's are up at like 350ish in the table.

Chris
    Last edited by tillman speed; 10-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Tillman Speed Inc.
    www.ShopTillman.com