Thread: car loses power, then goes hard afeter full throttle shift (my first manual )

Advanced Tuner

car loses power, then goes hard afeter full throttle shift (my first manual )

Hi

Im tuning a 2006 solstice, hanh turbo kit. The car goes pretty strong but when you do a shift with the throttle open ... at around 3000 to 4000 rpms it surges and the goes pretty strong.

the o2 sensor goes to 0milivolts and wideband to 15s AFR, and smells gas form 20 feet around... I dont know if it is misfiring, or its soe kind of toruqe management because timing also drops to -10 degrees form what it is on the spark table.

Please help me

on the scan the funny things happens at frame 2000..

Thanks guys for your help on my first manual trans tune

Advanced Tuner
    funny thing... it only happens with the secondary O2 sensor plugged

Advanced Tuner
    I am convinced it is a misfire .... the gas smell is terrible. The car dis it again with the rear O2 sensor disconnected ( it had been working frate for some time).

please guys hlep this newbie do his first turbo tune

This is like jumping off a 2 ft landing one day then diving solo from 12,000 ft the next day. You are in over your head if this is your first time tuning, being that this car was not made boosted and you are working with a PCM that was never set up for boost. You need to do several things.

-Quit driving the piss out of your car before you break something.
    -Turn the boost controller down so you make almost no boost.
    -Lower your timing in all affected tables.
    -Then start dialing in airflow (MAF and VE) tables first.
    -Then start brining up the timing.
    -Then start brining up the boost.
    -Then you can start running her ragged.

This may be some sort of post MAS intake leak. If you are only having problems when the secondary O2 is plugged in then you either have it plugged into the primary sensor connector on accident and are running a cat or it is plugged in correctly and your cat is done for. It doesn't make sense that you say you read 15.0 afr (on gasoline I hope), yet you smell gas. If you were misfiring it would be running more like 10.0 afr. Also, you would feel and be able to log misfires. You surely would have a DTC and flashing CEL if the misses were that bad.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry if I left a lot of info to asume... my fault. I have some V8 under my belt( mostly supercharged ones ).

truth this one is my first L4 and my first manual car. The car has a mail order tune.... this one was pretty safe so I dialed the maf and map, and PE to get it done at better AFRs ( my palce is the same elevation as detroit more or less).

HTe car was built like 6 months ago, and the owner reports that since the turbo install the car is doing that thing. I am now convinced that it is not related to O2 sensor.. because the failure is done with the secondary connected or not.
    on your experience, does the p0014 code is causing this? or we are fighting over some kind of limit that does thsi funny thing.

Thanks for your help guys, every tips helps to get it right.

By now Im gonna get a set of fresh spark plugs

Seeing that it's an 06 Solstice and you are experiencing random lean issues, it is easy to figure out that you do NOT have the VE tables properly dialed in.

It would also be nice if you could use the English language, instead of what I can only assume to be Hieroglyphics, to help convey the issue that this vehicle is having. We may be able to better help you if we could understand you.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Advanced Tuner
    I cn check the Ve table.

English is not my native languaje, so maibe a log file is better.

It is a random failure, if you start the car and it does it one time it will keep as long as yu dont turn it off. But it can start and dirve great. There is no pattern about how you drive it .

the problem is ( when it occurs):

full thottle ... the car goes ok 11AFR, then ehen you shift it goes to around 3000 rpm and start like hitting a limiter aroun 4000rpm. If you keep the foot on 100 TPS it keeps going form 3000-4000 all day , but if you lift the foot a little bit it goes OK like nothing happend.

When I hit the "limiter" the mixture goes lean ( teher is a log file with a wideband")

only code it shows is the p0014?

is this description better or not?, if not, please check the log file.. is the best form my "car related "english

tjanks for every tip, opinion

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Is it pegging the MAF?

what is the description of P0014?
    Me love boost long time.

Advanced Tuner
    no, maf is at 8000- 9000 Hz ( its an LS7 standard wit Hahn kit)

[ECM] P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 1 (SES) (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 1

Continuous Tests
    Misfire: Complete
    Fuel System: Complete
    Comprehensive Component: Complete

Once Per Trip Tests
    Catalyst: Complete
    Heated Catalyst: n/a
    Evaporative System: Incomplete
    Secondary Air System: n/a
    A/C System Refrigerant: n/a
    Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete
    Oxygen Sensor Heater: Incomplete
    EGR System: n/a

thanks for tyour help

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelc View Post
    no, maf is at 8000- 9000 Hz ( its an LS7 standard wit Hahn kit)

[ECM] P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 1 (SES) (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance Bank 1

Continuous Tests
    Misfire: Complete
    Fuel System: Complete
    Comprehensive Component: Complete

Once Per Trip Tests
    Catalyst: Complete
    Heated Catalyst: n/a
    Evaporative System: Incomplete
    Secondary Air System: n/a
    A/C System Refrigerant: n/a
    Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete
    Oxygen Sensor Heater: Incomplete
    EGR System: n/a

thanks for tyour help
    Is this a 2.4L Solstice?

Advanced Tuner
    yes sir, 2.4 solstice hahn stage 1 turbo kit

Your AFR commanded is up to a point and a half off from actual during WOT, if your WB is correct. Also it changes from close to way off, looks like your VE is not correct. When you shift your TPS drops, looks torque managment coming in, or you are letting off the throttle and telling us you are doing WOT shifts. After your shift you get way lean, then way rich, then way lean....I would look for a vacuum/boost leak...a turbo/intake hose that moves during the shift causing a leak, then returns to normal after you let off and get back into it. Just a guess.

Advanced Tuner
    is it possible to add some sealer to the hose ends just to make sure I have them not leaking?

Tuner in Training
    It looks like a fuel pump problem to me.... The injectors are wide open and there is no gas... (frame 2048 = 15.1 msec=126mV)

Advanced Tuner
    thanks guys .

It look like its fixed, there was some transient issues on VE table, but mostly the cause of the random error was both grounds ( the one near 2 and 3 pistons and the one on the coil harness) where placed on the turbo heat shield and not on the engine.
    I cant say it a victory but for 3 days now it is working OK.

THanks everyone for your help