Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trans Segment swaps

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Trans and Fuel Segment swaps

Update...

With the segment swapper tool added to 2.25 beta we will no longer be doing segment swaps in house(no need) its on you now

Just request 2.25 through support
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 09-11-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I downloaded my .hpt file from my PCM way back when I could, but I can't go look up this OS ID I need under VCM info because it's not connected to the PCM? Why wouldn't it have this info saved in the .hpt file so I can look it up now, and how could I look it up now when the powertrain is just a pull now?
    It is in the .hpt file, did you look at the screenshots I posted?

Secondly what even determines a VCM OS number?
    GM

Did certain years or makes or models gets specific OS's and ID's or something else?
    Yes

The ls1 never came with a 4l80e so it's not like we can just find the same model with the right tranny like the truck guys do, so I don't get what we are supposed to be looking for, although if we just get the tranny off ebay or craigslist most of us won't ever have access to the PCM the tranny came from so i don't know how we'd get anything.
    Doesn't matter, some trucks share the same os as cars.

The 02 silverado stock file & the stockfile12212156 files are compatible for segment swaps, the other file isn't compatible with those though.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 12-15-2009 at 09:32 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If any 99-02 ls1 PCM can be reflashed to any other 99-02 ls1 year why can't my whole PCM be sent in and reflashed with the above merged file?
    PCM sent in? Sent in where? I have no idea what you are saying here.

There's only 5 things that come up in the tune repository when you search for 4l80e. So since their ID doesn't match your saying I am just SOL for ever getting this to work?
    Again, no idea what you are asking, if you have a question about a specific segment swap email support and we can see if we have a compatible file on hand...in many cases we do HOWEVER we prefer to have our customers send us the two files so that we don't need to do any additional searching for files as that ultimately should not be our responsibility. If you want a segment swap done we can do it but its on you to find the proper files as this is a very specialized service that we offer.

This thread was ONLY created to help our users better understand what we need in order to do a segment swap for you, nothing more.

-Bill

Thanks
    Last edited by Jtbrewer; 12-22-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrewer View Post
    Guy has a 98 Silverado 5.0 that had the 5 speed. He is wanting to switch to a 4l60. What do I need to do?
    You need to search because your question has nothing to do with this one. You need to just write a compatible auto file.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Anybody know off hand if it's possible to do a segment swap on a Trailblazer SS to get some more TCC lock-up functionality?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Trailblazers don't have a trans segment, they use a completely separate TCM.

97-98 LS1 pcm's are single segmented meaning you cannot do a segment swap on them
    99-02 LS1 pcm's are the most common for segment swaps & we have most compatible os's already on hand
    03-07 LS1 pcm's are uncommon when it comes to segment swaps & finding a compatible operating system is far more difficult
    E38 pcm's don't have a transmission segment they use a separate TCM
    E67 pcm's don't have a transmission segment they use a separate TCM
    E40 pcm's don't have a transmission segment they use a separate TCM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Trailblazers don't have a trans segment, they use a completely separate TCM.

97-98 LS1 pcm's are single segmented meaning you cannot do a segment swap on them
    99-02 LS1 pcm's are the most common for segment swaps & we have most compatible os's already on hand
    03-07 LS1 pcm's are uncommon when it comes to segment swaps & finding a compatible operating system is far more difficult
    E38 pcm's don't have a transmission segment they use a separate TCM
    E67 pcm's don't have a transmission segment they use a separate TCM
    E40 pcm's don't have a transmission segment they use a separate TCM
    Well FML. Apparently, with EFI Live, it's possible to get some trans changes done on a TBSS to provide more control with respect to TCC lock-up. I'm just trying to dig around!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Apparently, with EFI Live, it's possible to get some trans changes done on a TBSS to provide more control with respect to TCC lock-up.
    Like? Without knowing exactly what you are looking for its very hard to help determine if its possible via our software or if its something we can ADD.

Alvin at PCMforless.com provides a patch for the TBSS that allows the torque converter to lock in 2nd gear at WOT. Supposedly he bench flashes the unit with EFI Live. Another problem seem to be running into is that no matter what, they can't change the lock-up speed in 3rd gear during WOT. Supposedly, the GTO TCM operating system is what it gets switched over to. It gives more control over TCC lock-up, and allows it to stay locked when you let off the pedal (until you push on the brake).

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah theres no way to simply switch to a different operating system with our software for the tcm, our software is a bit unique in that we only license the pcm so the TCM is essentially free so you could swap in 30 different tcm's and it'll never ask you for a tcm license. With efilive you actually have to open the TCM & pcm files separately & modify them completely separately which IMO is a pita...to eaches own I suppose.

Yeah theres no way to simply switch to a different operating system with our software for the tcm, our software is a bit unique in that we only license the pcm so the TCM is essentially free so you could swap in 30 different tcm's and it'll never ask you for a tcm license. With efilive you actually have to open the TCM & pcm files separately & modify them completely separately which IMO is a pita...to eaches own I suppose.
    Maybe you can answer this... Supposedly, after getting the 2nd gear lock-up "patch" as it's referred to, HP Tuners can no longer read the TCM. Any idea what would cause that? Is there any way that HP Tuners could get access to the things that would allow 2nd gear TCC lock-up, or full functionality/control of TCC lock-up?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I honestly have no idea what the "patch" consists of, I'm pretty sure we have just about everything TCC related in the software for A6's & A4's but if not I'd like to know what.

I honestly have no idea what the "patch" consists of, I'm pretty sure we have just about everything TCC related in the software for A6's & A4's but if not I'd like to know what.
    I couldn't tell you. I can send my stock TBSS file in. All I know is that no matter what, people aren't able to get the converter to lock in 2nd gear, and can't make it lock under ~95mph in 3rd gear.

Tuner in Training
    ^^^^i would not recomend locking the converter in 2nd gear though..to much strain for the clutches no matter how built it is...

yes i know it will prolly make it a bit faster with a good converter though ( multi disk assuming ) but is actually .10th of a second or less is not worth burning the tranny up for...

just my 2 cents
    Flaco

1st 8 sec silvy in the country
    HKE 414 with a 114mm turbo

Quote Originally Posted by flaco View Post
    ^^^^i would not recomend locking the converter in 2nd gear though..to much strain for the clutches no matter how built it is...

yes i know it will prolly make it a bit faster with a good converter though ( multi disk assuming ) but is actually .10th of a second or less is not worth burning the tranny up for...

just my 2 cents
    Flaco
    I'm more interested in why the functionality isn't there when somebody else wants it done. My TBSS is a daily driver.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I couldn't tell you. I can send my stock TBSS file in. All I know is that no matter what, people aren't able to get the converter to lock in 2nd gear, and can't make it lock under ~95mph in 3rd gear.
    Without knowing what they did I couldn't tell ya what the fix is, a stock file won't help as I've got plenty of those. Knowing what they changed is the only way.

Without knowing what they did I couldn't tell ya what the fix is, a stock file won't help as I've got plenty of those. Knowing what they changed is the only way.
    The shitter is that apparently after getting the patch, HPT won't read it anymore. Who knows. I'll see what I can dig up.

Potential Tuner
    We've offered segment swaps for LS1 based 512 & 1024k pcm's for quite some time now.

You need to provide support at hptuners.com:
    Your current .hpt file
    A compatible 4L80e .hpt file(if swapping from 4L60e).

Thanks,
    Bill
    Forgive me, but I'm an idiot so bare with me. I want to put a 4L80e in my 99' TA. What do I need to do to get the 2 files above you're referring to? And how do I get it to you guys to do the segment swap for me.

Is there hardware and software that needs to be purchased where I can hook it to my car?

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes you would need to purchase HPTuners VCM Suite.