Thread: Tuning headers?

Tuner in Training

Tuning headers?

hey i have a 99 trans am just installed pacesetter lt's cat less y pipe and and slp loudmouth i have a lid on it . i have hp tuners and was just curious if there was anything i could tune on it? and how to do it thanks alot im new to this

LOL, oh yeah there sure is!
    start by reading the tune guide stickies here. you will probably need to tune out your EGR and rear O2's if an auto, get the trans shifting like a real trans should shift.
    2000 Camaro Z28- stock motor. P/S LT's, TSP TD bullet style mufflers,de screen maf, LID and K&N filter. 2.73's
    180,000 miles and going strong!!

2004 Silverado 2500HD- stock 6.0, drop in K&N filter, 285-75/16 sport king A/T's.

Tuner in Training
    hey thanks where can i find those ? i have the egr and the rear 02 out and is a m6 . what are some basics that maybe i could look at and look up how to tune them?

the stickies are at the top of each sub-forum. read those and follow directions.
    2000 Camaro Z28- stock motor. P/S LT's, TSP TD bullet style mufflers,de screen maf, LID and K&N filter. 2.73's

2004 Silverado 2500HD- stock 6.0, drop in K&N filter, 285-75/16 sport king A/T's.

I think generally you can get away without tuning when the car only has lid and cat-back exhaust. Headers require tuning, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I think generally you can get away without tuning when the car only has lid and cat-back exhaust. Headers require tuning, IMO.

Why would you do this? Why anyone would want to "get away with not tuning" when they have tuning software is beyond me. A lid is a huge change, especially on Fbodies because the short run to the MAF. It can throw off the MAF curve a decent amount. I can see the point about the catback as normally they don't even pick up any kind of power anyway, just sound (on a stock car).
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

tuning a bone stock brand new vehicle has quite a bit of benifits no matter your goal. whether it be increased fuel milage or increased power.

look at all the people diving into brand spanking new vettes and camaros, from what ive seen in the short two months of tuning and reading, is that the manufacture leaves a fair amount on the table in reguards to the stock tune.

Quote Originally Posted by jacagle View Post
    tuning a bone stock brand new vehicle has quite a bit of benifits no matter your goal. whether it be increased fuel milage or increased power.

look at all the people diving into brand spanking new vettes and camaros, from what ive seen in the short two months of tuning and reading, is that the manufacture leaves a fair amount on the table in reguards to the stock tune.
    Absolutely. In both power and fuel economy.