Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 100mm Maf kickin my Butt!!!

Advanced Tuner

100mm Maf kickin my Butt!!!

hey guys,

i thought i understood what i was getting myself into, but im at a loss of words of whats happening.

i replaced my 06 ls2 MAF meter with a 4" tube and ls7 sensor.

my problem is the car will not idle, ive gone as far as raising the idle to 1400 rpms just so it wont die,

idle surges from 400 - 2000 rpms. afr goes from 10.3 to 18.1. freakin insane and quite scary, the misfires are threw the roof.

ive tried doubling/tripling the maf table, tried using the powermaf, and tried scaling the stock ls7 table by % to my current ifr numbers around .86.

my tune is a basically a stock 06 tune scaled to 50%. but i kept the idle airflow numbers to stock. using the 60's with all the correct data. gregs dvd doesn't cover scaling. i just got in his new book. at a quick glance i didn't see any topic about scaling, but am gonna finish reading it tonight.

i think tommorow im gonna try a tune thats not 'scaled' , its late and the neighbors are pissed.

-carl
    Last edited by carlrx7; 10-27-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Post the tune and scan.
    2014 Corvette, Z51, 3LT, 7-Speed, NPP, 2 tops, Exposed Carbon Fiber roof, FAY, Laguna Blue, Kalahari, Museum Delivery.

Senior Tuner
    Make sure you have the sensor pointing in the correct direction.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Advanced Tuner
    Its probably too much turbulence causing erratic readings from the sensor.. So its not so much the new sensor, but rather the addition of the 4 inch pipe. Especially if the pipe ramps up to 4 inches too 'quickly' before the sensor.
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.

Advanced Tuner
    i actually just have the 4"x6"pipe installed with couplers on both ends to the TB. maybe it needs a longer path to smooth the air out. id have to cut the intercooler charge pipe for it to fit, so im waiting till i know i can at least tune it before i do anything perminate.

ill try to post my tune, but hptforums doesn't like my laptop.

-carl

p.s. nope it wont uploadl. anything over 100kb wont upload
    Last edited by carlrx7; 10-28-2009 at 05:29 AM.

Senior Tuner
    It's the version HPT is on. They need to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin to get around the issue. It's a known issue.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Its probably too much turbulence causing erratic readings from the sensor.. So its not so much the new sensor, but rather the addition of the 4 inch pipe. Especially if the pipe ramps up to 4 inches too 'quickly' before the sensor.
    Hi !

I have NOT seen THIS(wait) before in any thread. I have a "Z06"(?) alu housing MAF close to 100mm mounted close to my Tony ported LS2 throttle body/FAST intake. LS2 block based engine. AFR 59cc/G5X1 etc.. Car is C5-2000MN6. My problem was a HORRIBLE MAF output and some serious bucking in some low speed cruising.
    In idle, it always jumped between 4 cells(MAF Hz). At full throttle, Input from the MAF looked like the Alps, jumping up/down 15-20%. Wow ! Needed a solution. Found this honeycomb
    http://www.saxonpc.com/7-inch-black-cell-honeycom7.html

Ordered a couple of the "3/4" Thick 3/16" Cell Aluminum" ones.
    ...waited a week or two....

Cut out a circular piece of the VERY thin high quality honeycomb and pressed in carefully into the MAF housing. Honeycomb ended up around 1/2 inch from the MAF measuring device. Didn´t really secure the honeycomb any more at this stage. Have some ideas how to do it.

Tested my solution and BOY did it work well
    MAF is moving like 1,5 cell in the scanner at idle(cammed car) and even more stable when revving. Have problems now to test full throttle in the street due to rain and 5 deg Celcius. (Sweden)

This honeycomb may well NOT be the perfect sized one. Cells could be i bit smaller. But it shure seems to work and you guys are free to try to find a better one

I´d like to se someone else test this solution. Maybee one of the guru guys ? I will work some more on this and probably make my own proper airflow total filter+airflow solution(my friend is an aerospace engineer) this winter. (Example : The connection to the air filter housing should be BIGGER that the MAF housing - don´t want the air pressure dropping from filter to MAF)

Will try to get a picture of the MAF asap.
    Last edited by swebld; 10-28-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: more info

I had issues with a 100 mm MAF as well until I Moved the sensor away from a bend and now it works perfectly.

Tuner
    I also used the 3/4" honeycomb from Saxon PC, and then a fine aluminum screen, much like household window screen. MAF output is steady as a rock. Before, the car wouldn't idle, and even under hard acceleration the MAF signal looked like a rusty sawblade. Now it is straight and solid.

Cheers,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ZZMike View Post
    I also used the 3/4" honeycomb from Saxon PC, and then a fine aluminum screen, much like household window screen. MAF output is steady as a rock. Before, the car wouldn't idle, and even under hard acceleration the MAF signal looked like a rusty sawblade. Now it is straight and solid.

Cheers,

Mike
    NICE Mike !
    Now i can go back to sleep, knowning that MY rusty sawblade hopefully is history
    Though i´m not shure where to put the "fine aluminum screen" to get the best result, did you ever test without it ?

Advanced Tuner
    ok , i fixed it,, idles like a kitten ,,

it was the temp install that was causing probs.

before = wrong and will run like shyt!!!!

p.s. yes the sensor was in and pluged in and installed facing the right way.
    -----

correct temp install,, idles sweet!!

----

final install complete,,

p.s. total cost about 140 bucks TOTAL!!! i love custom!
    now off to some tuning!!! woohooo,, no more maxxed maf and 50% scalling - 1024g's!!!

thanks yall

-carl

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by swebld View Post
    NICE Mike !
    Now i can go back to sleep, knowning that MY rusty sawblade hopefully is history
    Though i´m not shure where to put the "fine aluminum screen" to get the best result, did you ever test without it ?
    I did test without it, but not on the car. I used a flow bench and smoke wand to work on getting the straightest possible flow across the MAF. It was much straighter with the screen, so that is what I used.

I have to take some pics for some board members that have been PM'ing me. I will post them here when I am finally able.

Mike

Senior Tuner
    Carl, if I would have known that's how it was "temp" setup, I would have immediately told you to put a temp filter on the end of it (or do what you did). Nice job!
    Formerly known as RWTD

Glad you got it resolved. I've tried this several times and it fights me like s son'beatch every time even with the complete piping installed. I'm fairly happy running 2 bar SD but whenever I feel like aggrivating myself I try it again. I've thought that the MAF is experiencing some turbulance too as I'm using an ECS LS3 IC - TB pipe and the MAF sensor is further upstream towards the IC than yours.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    the only tuning i did going from stock maf to 100mm was i took both lo and hi maf tables and multiplied by 2. got it pretty damn close +/- 10 ltft's , now its time for some OL maf WOT 3rd gear pulls to get it all dialed in.

i do feel like there is some turbulence, as i did one 3rd gear part mini pull and saw the maf freqency go back and forth between cells. doesn't seem right. shouldn't it go, up, up, and up!

-carl

Advanced Tuner
    going to try and putting the 3/16 honeycomb in. i can feel slight bucking at low airflow

Advanced Tuner
    UPDATE: posted this on the CF

today i got my MAF screen in its 3/4" thick, 3/16" holes x 4" circle. i poped the hood of the vette and found this!!

WTF!

i have no idea how this happend!! i would never EVER leave my car in this condition. at first i thought maybe it popped off during a blast down my back road. for ****s and giggles i tried to start it,, wouldn't even run. SO i ask WTF! i haven't driven the car since Sunday.

anyways,

here is some pics of the screen i installed.

sorry about the messy workbench.

i put a little JB weld on the inside of the tube and fins and just pushed it right in, nice and flat

p.s. notice the sweet RX7 threw the MAF!

all done..

after the jbweld sets, i will do some scans and see how much the Freq Hz straighten out compared to no screen.

-Carl

Silcone hoses need some serious clamp force to hold. Either tighten the worm gear clamps better or look for a better style clamp.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Advanced Tuner
    the thing is that i dont think it Blew off? because the car wouldn't even start, as expected.

im gonna try some hair spray.

Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    the thing is that i dont think it Blew off? because the car wouldn't even start, as expected.

i'm gonna try some hair spray.
    Good idea, one should always look their best when working on their car.

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.