Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 100mm Maf kickin my Butt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp View Post
    Good idea, one should always look their best when working on their car.
    LOL
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Lol

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    the thing is that i dont think it Blew off? because the car wouldn't even start, as expected.

im gonna try some hair spray.
    It's possible that after cooldown things "morphed" a bit and shifted.

Instead, I highly suggest you have someone weld a small bed all around the MAF tube, on each end, so that you can give the clamps some "biting" power. This is what we do on setups without raised flanges.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Advanced Tuner
    Also posted on the CF::

well, dont have time for a bead, going to the track tommarow.

here is the resulting scan before and after installing the screen
    Before:

After:

now the MAF Low table is only using 1 maybe two cells for idle.

my air/fuel raiti seems more stable as well.

cheers yall, will let yall know how i do at the track!

-Carl

Senior Tuner
    That screen reduces so little volume it is well worth having in there. Smoothed air is the way to go!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    and here is another thing just to get my tune perfected for the track tommarow, just filled up the tank and took a sample of the fuel

ding ding ding, E10 it is!!

bump my stioch down to 14.13 now!

and if anyone would like there fuel tested, shoot me a PM, no charge.

cheers, im off to work!

-Carl

Advanced Tuner
    managed a 11.054 @ 129.94 mph, .5 quicker and 5 mph faster than last time out

-carl.

Senior Tuner
    Nice run man! I bet it is that MAF screen helping you out. I gained 3MPH at the trap last week with cleaning the MAF and putting the screen back in. I'm just a little V6 but I do strongly believe the same principals apply here.

Very nice, get that thing off the line and its 10's all day. Sweet
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Hi this is Jason from saxonpc.com I have been reading the thread. And feeling embarrassed of my V6 here. The best page I have found to read about "turbulence management" was this one from Peter Bradshaw:
    http://navier.stanford.edu/bradshaw/...nelconfig.html

Might not all be useful, but click on the "screens" and "honeycomb" for pages about them.
    It's nice to see the results and photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxxon68 View Post
    Hi this is Jason from saxonpc.com I have been reading the thread. And feeling embarrassed of my V6 here. The best page I have found to read about "turbulence management" was this one from Peter Bradshaw:

Might not all be useful, but click on the "screens" and "honeycomb" for pages about them.
    Hello Jason. Well your honeycomb is becoming an important factor in the sports car controlled high energy development research for MORE STABLE POWER..
    Does your honeycomb factory source have any other avaliable honeycombs ? With maybee smaller cell sizes ? This stuff is not easy avaliable...

From the web site :
    "the mode of action of a honeycomb with cells elongated in the flow direction is qualitatively obvious but few tests have actually been made, and all that is certain is that the cell length of the honeycomb should be at least six or eight times the cell diameter."

From a good source i´d say that a factor of ten should be used to maximize the honeycomb function. Though a combination of a six times cell/cell length ratio together with a screen might be the best solution here. But pressure drop will increase with a screen; May not be a huge problem in most cars with a NA engine with 100mm MAF though !

Maybee ZZMike have more info since he did some more scientific testing, with a flow bench !

Hello Jason, I've been looking for similar honeycombs on the net for over a year!!!

I'll make an order soon, any chance on making one with smaller cells?

BTW, Scorpions rock!

I will work on getting some 1/8" cells, the smallest made, the wind tunnel website does menton 6:1 or 8:1 ratio, but that may be a higher ratio than is needed for the 100mm size. What do you think would be a good thickness for 1/8" cells? Maybe a choice of 3/4" or 1" thick or even 5/8"?

At lito "BTW, Scorpions rock! " In the 80's I allways figured that was a band member in the pic. Now in 2009 I used the internet to find out it is actually a self portrait of Gottfried Helnwein, a Austrian-Irish artist.
    Last edited by Saxxon68; 11-09-2009 at 11:25 PM.

I will work on getting some 1/8" cells, the smallest made, the wind tunnel website does menton 6:1 or 8:1 ratio, but that may be a higher ratio than is needed for the 100mm size. What do you think would be a good thickness for 1/8" cells? Maybe a choice of 3/4" or 1" thick or even 5/8"?

At lito "BTW, Scorpions rock! " In the 80's I allways figured that was a band member in the pic. Now in 2009 I used the internet to find out it is actually a self portrait of Gottfried Helnwein, a Austrian-Irish artist.

Well, the best solution, for us, may just be a honeycomb without a screen. A screen will for shure drop pressure, and we don´t want that do we ? It´s also a question where the honeycomb is placed in relation til MAF sensor. And mybee we WANT some small turbulence after the honecomb to "even out" the airflow, depending of the distance from honeycomb-MAF sensor. And then we have the avaliable space.
    My friend WHO IS a real windtunnel engineer tells me that you want a factor 10 for the cell/cell length. But considering our actual demands, space avaliable etc i´d say that I would like to test a honeycomb with 1/8 cell size that is 3/4 thick !
    C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden

Potential Tuner

Hey guys I used 3/4" Thick 1/8" Cell Plastic from Saxsonpc and I love the results so far.At idle it would move 4 cells now it sits steady in one cell with the odd two cells.It is fitted into a 100mm pipe directly behind a 90 degree bend and intercooler due to space constraints the sensor is only 5mm from the 1/8" cell.The engine is 5.7l twin turbo fast 90/90 224/232 114 cam.Have not had a chance to tune the maf yet due to burnt ignition leads should have this resolved in a few days.I post some logs when im back on the road.

Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun View Post
    Hey guys I used 3/4" Thick 1/8" Cell Plastic from Saxsonpc and I love the results so far.At idle it would move 4 cells now it sits steady in one cell with the odd two cells.It is fitted into a 100mm pipe directly behind a 90 degree bend and intercooler due to space constraints the sensor is only 5mm from the 1/8" cell.The engine is 5.7l twin turbo fast 90/90 224/232 114 cam.Have not had a chance to tune the maf yet due to burnt ignition leads should have this resolved in a few days.I post some logs when im back on the road.

Shaun.
    The MAF calibration were different in my car after adding a screen.(edit - honeycomb !)
    The plastic one will never be as good as the aluminum one when it comes to pressure drop and turbulence. It´s MUCH thicker. And made of some yet unknown plastic material... Who knows what will happend when you race the car, shuts it down for 20min, and restarts it..

One other thing. The inlet piping from air filter to MAF housing is something to take o look at. The inner (size)diameter on the FILTER side should be greater than the inner diameter on the MAF housing side. Often it´s NOT. Air pressure WILL DROP when the air moves towards the MAF and this is NOT good for the air flow/turbulence. I have a C5 and more or less all air filter solutions are base on the old 85mm diameter, not good for a 100mm(or close) MAF.
    Last edited by swebld; 11-10-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by swebld View Post
    Well, the best solution, for us, may just be a honeycomb without a screen. A screen will for shure drop pressure, and we don´t want that do we ? It´s also a question where the honeycomb is placed in relation til MAF sensor. And mybee we WANT some small turbulence after the honecomb to "even out" the airflow, depending of the distance from honeycomb-MAF sensor. And then we have the avaliable space.
    My friend WHO IS a real windtunnel engineer tells me that you want a factor 10 for the cell/cell length. But considering our actual demands, space avaliable etc i´d say that I would like to test a honeycomb with 1/8 cell size that is 3/4 thick !
    While I agree that there is a pressure drop due to the screen, it is negligible, and in comparison to the benefits, it is a worthwhile addition, in my opinion. I agree, however, that a 1/8" screen at 3/4" thickness could prove to be the optimal solution.

Funny that the Scorpions Blackout album cover is artist Gottfried Helnwein, I always thought it was Rudolph Schenker.

Mike

I will have some samples of 1/8" cells by the weekend. Can I get a few US or CA residents to sign up for a free sample in return for feedback of the 1/8" cells? Like the first 4 folks who will reply to the post here and agree to post or supply some feedback. Then I will get your mailing info in a PM.

Now shaun claims to have plastic cells. I never know the applications when I ship the stuff out so it is a shock to me. I would think the diamond shapes between the circles would impeed flow more. Although I have seen some impressive performance of the plastic cells with PC fans and as fanless intake (for control).

ZZMike- I thought it was Schenker also, but I wiki'ed it because I always liked the photo. Some of Helnwein's work is more hellish and bloody than the album cover.

Advanced Tuner
    Ill take a sample if its aluminum and not plastic. Im in California.
    Id love to see how the stuff does settling down some turbulence issues I suspect have.
    Last edited by Z06SUPERCHARGED; 11-11-2009 at 03:11 AM.
    16 psi on E85

I want one if possible, and will pay for it and the shipping cost !
    //Sweden