Thread: No matter what, RICH idle

Tuner in Training

No matter what, RICH idle

No matter what, RICH idle. I can't get the car to idle in the upper 14s to 15s, where I want it on my wideband. I'll start it, it will idle just a tad rich, then the fuel trims will just keep climbing until its pig rich in the 11s to 12s.

04GTO
    MS3
    ported intake

Help someone, i'm ready to burn the car to the ground.
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Senior Tuner
    Have you checked for an intake/exhaust leak? Just a thought. As far as in your tune goes, you should post it if you can. Maybe you've got something in there...??

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Have you checked for an intake/exhaust leak? Just a thought. As far as in your tune goes, you should post it if you can. Maybe you've got something in there...??
    Its possible on the tune(people before me threw the cam in and effed the tune bad) and i've spent time on the dyno and street messing with it. put down 406HP yesterday on dynojet)

the intake isnt leaking, i've sprayed ether all around it looking for leaks(that was my first guess since its a hogged out fast 78)

collector to y is nice and tight, no leaks.

tune is almost ready, I upoaded it
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Senior Tuner
    This sounds like classic false trimming, from your narrowband
    O2s being either too cold or too crusty. The wideband has its
    own, more capable heater.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue View Post
    This sounds like classic false trimming, from your narrowband
    O2s being either too cold or too crusty. The wideband has its
    own, more capable heater.
    Yea, I would agree here as well. I run tri Y headers and the narrowbands are located to only measure the 5,6,7,8 cylinders (stupid design). Combine that with a healthy overlap cam 248/254 112 and the NB's got a false lean reading causing the trims to dump fuel like crazy.

I run open loop idle and turn off my LTFT's and have been good ever since. Something to think about.
    2003 silverado SS, 11.72 @ 114.

What are the O2's supposed to do at idle? Mine look really good driving but get really lazy at idle. OP how do your O2 sensors look at idle? I am having a problem like this as well.

Senior Tuner
    beedo, you have headers on your ride?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

What injectors do you have?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Yea I have Headers, will that cause the O2's to be lazy at idle? They cycle very tight and fast running down the road, and dont knowq who the question was for but the stock 28.5? LB injectors with the duty cycle running around 70-80% running it fairly hard.

OK, normally with larger injectors this is a common issue due to incorrectly setting up the tables. Not your issues it sounds like.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by krambo View Post
    I run open loop idle and turn off my LTFT's and have been good ever since. Something to think about.
    How do you run open loop idling?

I have an MS3 cam as well, and it has the false fuel trim issue.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by b00sted View Post
    How do you run open loop idling?

I have an MS3 cam as well, and it has the false fuel trim issue.
    Well in a nutshell, I set PE TPS vs. RPM to "0" from 0RPM to 1200RPM, Pe enrichment to 1.0 from 0RPM to 1200RPM and set columns 68*F through 230*F in your OL F/A vs. Coolant Temp vs. Map to 1.00. I Also disable LTFT's.
    2003 silverado SS, 11.72 @ 114.

Tuner in Training
    I've finally got it working decent, but it still wants to eventually jack up the STFT's and richen up to around 13.0. It starts up and idles staying around 14.7-15.0, then starts richening. at least its not starting up and going full lean anymore! A new MAP sensor fixed that problem. Now i just have a _slight_ lean spot right off idle, like upon takeoff from a stop, when i'm easing up to speed, its just enough to piss me off! I'm going to finally just bite the bullet and turn off LTFT's. i'm trying to figure out how, since the 04 PCM don't have an option to disable. I just now made it to where it won't ever be in a range to turn them on.

thanks a bunch guys. This car has made me second guess my tuning ability up until now!
    Last edited by ZTwentyAteU; 10-31-2009 at 03:13 AM.
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Senior Tuner
    1) Do you have access to the "Cyclinder Film Effect" in your VCM's? If so, try a slight increase and it should eliminate the blip your getting when you first touch the accelerator.
    2) If you are running pure SD I can see this happening as well because the MAP will not match the speed of the MAF when it comes to transitional changes and could cause what I think you are seeing.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    where is your tune why is it not posted so we can see it?
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA