Thread: Shift Rpms' Dropping Too Low After New Tep Trans. Install

Potential Tuner

Shift Rpms' Dropping Too Low After New Tep Trans. Install

Hey guys, noob here, just looking for a little help... Just like the title says, I just recently installed a rebuilt trans. from Dave@TEP (great guy, luv the trans.), and the only issue I'm having is that after installing the trans. (no other changes) my car slowed down at the tack by a couple of tenths/mph. I lost all of my ET/mph in the first 1/8 mi. (60's are the same), and I noticed that after my 1st-2nd shift the rpms seemed to drop really low and it felt like I was towing a house. Any ideas???

Advanced Tuner
    I would start by asking Dave at triple edge performance (TEP) himself , not only does he know how to build a trans , he knows how to tune also

was there a change in gearing or diff with the new trans ?
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    I would start by asking Dave at triple edge performance (TEP) himself , not only does he know how to build a trans , he knows how to tune also

was there a change in gearing or diff with the new trans ?
    No, no change in gearing, and I've spoken w/Dave and he wants me to scan for a few things...but it will take some time as I'm waiting on a buddy who has an HPTuner. Just thought I'd ask ahead of time to maybe get some thoughts/input or possibly hear from someone who had a similar problem/fix.

Potential Tuner

**update**

Well, I scanned the car, and from what I've been told all of the info. appears to be normal. We upped the shift points from 5,900rpm to 6,100rpm (car shifts@6,200rpm--actual), and the rpms now drop to 3,900 going into 2nd gear. However, I'm not entirely comfortable shifting my car that high, and I still feel that much of a drop is a bit excessive. I've seen other scans where guys are shifting @5,900 rpm (actual) and the rpms are only dropping down to 4,200rpm. Are there any settings that I can change to help out the situation, or perhaps, is the torque converter just a little on the 'tight' side??? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Potential Tuner

Scan Added

Hey guys, wonder if someone wouldn't mind taking a look at this scan below??? (I can post up my bin file if that would help as well.) I would really like to figure out if it's a matter of tuning what I have, or do I need to swap out my converter for something a tad looser.

1st WOT Run: Frame 1845/Time 46:06.2
    1st PT Run: Frame 2832/Time 47:44.9
    2nd WOT Run: Frame 4359/Time 50:17.7

All the rest of the data is just me cruising around, and please disregard the KR as I was just experimenting w/plug gap...I normally have none. TIA!!

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4926

Tuner in Training
    Was a new torque converter installed with the new trans? If so, it's possible that it's tighter than the old one and you might want to go with something a bit looser.
    2006 Pontiac GTO, Torrid Red, M6, "LS2.5"
    - LS3 Heads; 11.5:1
    - ARH Headers
    - Magnaflow
    - Svede
    - RipShift race

- No Lift Shift

2012 Chevrolet Cruze, Blue Topaz Metallic, M6, 1.8
    - Stock
    - 42 MPG

Potential Tuner
    Yea, Dave recommended that I just go w/an OEM replacement converter so that's what I did, but now I think I'm starting to regret it...maybe I just got an especially tight one. Wish I had luck like that w/women-LOL!! Did you get a chance to look at my scan??? I've been in contact w/Dave, but he has yet to comment on my scan, and I told him if everything looks ok w/the programming and it's a mechanical thing...then I'll just go ahead and pull the trans. again and replace the converter. Is there nothing in the programming that allows for this condition???

Potential Tuner
    My TEP trans did the same thing, did he tune it for you or are you running a previous trans tune from your other transmission?

I had to back off the line pressure and and shift rpm to keep it happy, what eventually happen was it tore up the engine/trans mounts - make sure that shit is solid!
    i got 38k out of my transmission from dave.

are you getting any associated KR or low timing numbers around that point?