Thread: past the point of being aggrevated 04 gto

Tuner in Training

past the point of being aggrevated 04 gto

ok, my gto is stupid lean at idle, even when I push in the clutch to coast to a redlight, or it has a lean spot when I shift too. THe car runs awesome as long as its not idling. i can cruise arouund and lug it all day and it does great, and it made 410RWHP. i thought it could have a vaccum leak, so I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and all, nothing. I swappped map sensors, nothing. I thought the intake could have a crack, so i pulled it (fast 78 ported) and stuck on my ls6, nothing. tried new intake gaskets..nothing. tried all the tunes in the world, nothing. I even tried a stock tune. It starts up and is maxxing out the wideband and barely runs, sound like only a few cylinders hit. It does run and idle fine, but its lean lean lean. As soon as I hit the gas, its normal. if I hold it at 3k, its nornal (14.8 or so). While it idles, the LTFT's try to jack up and richen it up. I'm talking they go through the roof...like 50s. I started the car tonight, unplugged the MAF, and it idles in the high 13s A/F. But If I try to start it with the MAF unplugged, it won't run at all. I'm frustrated to say the least, and I just don't know what to do. Is the MAF bad? It hit me today that it has a slp 85 off a 00 camaro on it, maybe those don't interchange

heres the tune (its not the actual one, but the stuff i've changed is irrelevant)

http://www.hptuners.com/customers/tu...wnload&id=1080
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Advanced Tuner
    Your link doesn't work. Learn to attach the file.

Where are your logs? Give us some logs.

Did you....tune for the new MAF? You know you can't just throw a 85mm MAF on the car without properly calibrating your MAF scale.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    Your link doesn't work. Learn to attach the file.

Where are your logs? Give us some logs.

Did you....tune for the new MAF? You know you can't just throw a 85mm MAF on the car without properly calibrating your MAF scale.

thanks its attached.

I swapped MAFs today and it didn't change it.

I'm ready to burn the car to the ground, and i'm dead serious about that. My problem is I don't have anyone to ask that knows anything about tuning besides me. I've loaded and changed so much on this car that my mind is fried. I'll paypal someone $100 to fix this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ZTwentyAteU; 11-12-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

When you are posting, click advance and scroll down, there should be a button to attch files. You will figure it out from there.
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.
    DIY Dual Walbro 340 fuel pumps.

Tuner in Training
    posted up.

i'm about to try something and i'll post that up
    Last edited by ZTwentyAteU; 11-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Tuner in Training
    Heres a log and a tune file. It starts up, runs lean forever, then it jacks up STFT up to high 30s and ends up being around 14.5 to 15.0 on my wideband.

How bout this, where in the heck should I be making a change to fatten it up? It seems like if I change stuff, it ends up either doing nothingor running lean, then pig rich once the fuel trims jack it up again. I don't know i'm lost like a ball in high grass.
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Looking at your tune, it does not appaer that you have it set up right for tuning it. Do you have Gregs DVD info or Craigs step by step list? How about the Tunning Schools check list?
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.

PM sent, also post your config you used to scan.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_WS6 View Post
    PM sent, also post your config you used to scan.
    thats a problem, I lost all my config's when my laptop ate it a few weeks ago. and by all, I mean ALL except default!
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

You sound like Ned Flanders' beatnick parents, "You gotta help us doc, we've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas". Start by adding 30% to the entire MAF table, just so it will run when cold. Then......tune your car. Use histogram #8 in the attached config. It's the default config with MAF Hz added.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    You sound like Ned Flanders' beatnick parents, "You gotta help us doc, we've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas". Start by adding 30% to the entire MAF table, just so it will run when cold. Then......tune your car. Use histogram #8 in the attached config. It's the default config with MAF Hz added.
    I agree 100%. You can't "try tunes". Fix YOUR problem. If you are lean, add fuel. The S(hitty)LP MAF is extremely lean on install, it is not a simple plug and play like they lead people to believe. If the issue is only there at idle, you can at fuel up to 4k Hz, sounds like higher than that there will be issues. It would also help you if you logged PIDs that were useful.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_WS6 View Post
    Looking at your tune, it does not appaer that you have it set up right for tuning it. Do you have Gregs DVD info or Craigs step by step list? How about the Tunning Schools check list?
    hell...the built-in help file with HP tuners tells you every thing you need to know to do VE and MAF tuning
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Yes you are correct. It is the best place to get started at.

Tuner in Training
    I don't think yall understand. I've tried adding to the VE table just to get it running, but there is a point where I add too much and it runs rich, then switces back to lean.

There has to be something else wrong with the car that I have not found. There's no way there is anything wrong with this tune. I'm going for MAF next. The car came with the wrong maf on it off a 01 trans am in the first place.
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil'sC5Vette View Post
    I say burn it
    I like this idea
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU View Post
    I don't think yall understand. I've tried adding to the VE table just to get it running, but there is a point where I add too much and it runs rich, then switces back to lean.

There has to be something else wrong with the car that I have not found. There's no way there is anything wrong with this tune. I'm going for MAF next. The car came with the wrong maf on it off a 01 trans am in the first place.
    You need to disable the maf to tune VE. Everytime you make a change to the VE table, clear your LTFTs and clear the data table(if using RTT) so it isn't averaging old values together with the new ones.
    Then turn the maf back on and tune the maf transfer table. Make a custom histogram in the scanner that gives you Maf ARF % error. Make a custom pid for wideband % error from commanded afr, plug that into the custom histogram and for the horizontal axis, add maf airflow vs output frequency. Then you take your error from that and multiply by % in the Maf Airflow vs. frequency table in your tune.
    For the wideband error pid, leave the sensor part blank, for units choose %, and for the function enter: (([PID.2811]/.5+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]*100
    Only enter that if you are getting your wideband reading through the EGR on the pcm. If not, then enter ((X)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]*100 where X is your wideband reading
    Last edited by jimmypop13; 11-14-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: left out VE tuning
    2016 Camaro SS
    Full exhaust, rotofab CAI, ported IM/TB, E85, 3600rpm stall TC

Tuner in Training
    thanks guys
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo