Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wideband question

wideband question

ok, I'm new! Let's get this out of the way just in case you can't tell

My question is why do I read where people permanently install a wideband? Is this something that has to be monitored? This is the case with the Innovate LC-1 Wideband and from what I understand is one of the best to use. Can you not do tuning without having to permanently mount a wideband? What's the advantage?

second question, how many credits with my LS1 C5 MN6 Vete take to tune?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    2 credits for single vcm license 6 for year/model.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

what about my first question? Please

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Dunno, I made mine removable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Dunno, I made mine removable.
    please do tell

Advanced Tuner
    let me try to answer your wideband question with some detail

first off its all personal preference

some will replace a factory 02 sensor with the wideband while tuning and then remove for daily use

others will weld a bung in place on their exhaust that they can permanently install a wideband - or they can remove it when not tuning and thread a plug into the same bung

yet others will install a wideband in place of a stock 02 sensor and wire it in in a manner that it replaces the narrowband permanently so any pcm adjustments based on 02 sensor data are based on wide rather than narrow band , problem with that is narrowbands are more accurate during normal non WOT operation - I want to say its called narrowband simulation

the longer the sensor is installed in the exhaust the sooner it will wear out
    Last edited by murphinator; 11-14-2009 at 06:45 AM.
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

I have a aem that I run all the time, then I also have a lc1 that can be moved from car to car.
    04 M6 GTO
    Mods: HP Tuners
    11.8 @ 123
    11.0 @ 135

i just had a bung welded into my car for a permanant WB install. i figure for 175 bucks its the best way to go. the portable ones are about double that from what ive seen, so might as well get two lc1's
    2000 Camaro Z28- stock motor. P/S LT's, TSP TD bullet style mufflers,de screen maf, LID and K&N filter. 2.73's
    180,000 miles and going strong!!

2004 Silverado 2500HD- stock 6.0, drop in K&N filter, 285-75/16 sport king A/T's.

Thanks for the info, very good explanation!

I have heard if you leave these installed without them power that it will burn them up. Is this just BS of truth?

Does it matter that WB you use or is there certain ones that will work with HPT?

Tuner in Training
    not powering the sensor will burn it out in no time. I had a used LC1 and could not get it to work so bought a AFX and couldn't be happier. Again LC1 was used.

does that mean if you get one with a guage then it should last longer? seems easier than plugging and un-plugging it in.

will the HPT work with any of the Innovate widebands? Does one of different models work better than the other? There is the LM-1, LM-2, LC-1 models

another WB question. Can you use the data collected with the Innovate LM-1 recorder box and download it to the HPT?

Senior Tuner
    1)WB is a heated sensor and with mine there is a 20 second warm up before I can start the car. Not allowing the sensor to heat up will kill it fast as said above. Don't ever have it in the system without power, just not good.
    2) *recorder box* Dont think so. If you have the Pro, just send the analog out to the Pro. The recorder box could be referenced for quick checks to see if you need to pull out the Big Guns, aka, your HP Program!
    3) I have to add, go for the NTK/AFX set up if you haven't already bought one. The sensor that comes with it is a good, quality sensor but you can order it with the "upgraded" sensor if your so inclined for a extra few bucks.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 11-15-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    1)WB is a heated sensor and with mine there is a 20 second warm up before I can start the car. Not allowing the sensor to heat up will kill it fast as said above. Don't ever have it in the system without power, just not good.
    2) *recorder box* Dont think so. If you have the Pro, just send the analog out to the Pro. The recorder box could be referenced for quick checks to see if you need to pull out the Big Guns, aka, your HP Program!
    3) I have to add, go for the NTK/AFX set up if you haven't already bought one. The sensor that comes with it is a good, quality sensor but you can order it with the "upgraded" sensor if your so inclined for a extra few bucks.
    what does the upgraded sensor do?

Senior Tuner
    Last longer and short of spending 5K on a Lab Grade one, it's the most accurate combo you'll find.

Here is the "Standard":
    http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/357

Here is the "upgrade":
    http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/582

Something I just noticed... if you buy the upgraded kit, it comes with both sensors! The one in the kit is the standard, and the upgraded one is added. You will have a back up when your main sensor goes down and needs replacing eventually. Any down time can be covered with the standard sensor.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 11-15-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    What about the Dynojet Wide Band 2? Is this a good device?
    '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, 5.2L (Canada Import), 2" Lift
    (CAI, Modded Kegger, Ported TB, 3" Cat-Back, SCT Custom Tune)

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ZG, 5.9 V8, Stock

'03 Skoda Fabia, 1.4L 16v

'98 Chevrolet Camaro V6, 3.8L, Targa, ZZP GT1 Cam, Dynomax Cat-Back [sold]

ok, what about the sensor location? where do I mount the bung? I'm running LT headers. I'm not running cats so can it be anywhere after the collector?

I Put Mine Directly Under The Driver Seat And Ran The Wires Up Throught The Drain Plug In The Floor Board. Made Me Feel Better Having The Controller Inside The Cabin Away From The Harsh Under Carridge.
    2000 Camaro Z28- stock motor. P/S LT's, TSP TD bullet style mufflers,de screen maf, LID and K&N filter. 2.73's
    180,000 miles and going strong!!

2004 Silverado 2500HD- stock 6.0, drop in K&N filter, 285-75/16 sport king A/T's.