Thread: At WOT, my truck "slides" into 2nd, but firm into 3rd?

Advanced Tuner

Question At WOT, my truck "slides" into 2nd, but firm into 3rd?

2002 Silverado, 5.3 liter, 4L60E, 373 gears

At light to medium throttle, the truck upshifts nice into any gear when accelerating, but at WOT it sort of slides into 2nd gear (if that makes sense), yet 2nd to 3rd gear shifts at WOT are nice and firm.

It's been like this since I very first started tuning on it, 6 months or better, and hasn't gotten any worse, or any different either.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this, or what I could do to help it?

I attached the current (trial maf only) tune, but don't have any WOT datalogs loaded to attach. The previous logs "look" OK, but I'm far from an expert at datalog interpretation.

If there is something I should, or could, log to show a potential problem, I'm all ears as I'm not 100% sure what would make the issue even show up in a log.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 01-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dogn View Post
    miles on it?
    Maybe 30K since stock rebuild was done, and fluid and filter is changed once a year as preventative maintenance. Fluid always looks great, nice and pinkish red, and no foul, or burnt smell ever.

It seemed to always shift firmer, at least on the 1>2 shift, before I ever messed with the tune as far as Torque management, upshift/downshift speeds, and stuff like that.

The weird thing, it shifts right at my commanded 5900 rpm's every time, just isn't firm like I'd expect it to be. Now 2>3 shifts are firm and also at the commanded 5700 rpm's, every time.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 12-01-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    does it have a shift kit, or mods done?
    manual shifting or d4
    No mods whatsoever. It was stock rebuild and I leave the shifter in D or OD, never manually shift it.

Advanced Tuner
    if you have a shift kit and bigger boost valve ect.. then you need to 0.00 out your shift time table.. this will disable shift adapt/Learn in the pcm.. don't wory it will shift like it needs to..
    I do not have a shift kit. It is a STOCK rebuilt, off the shelf generic 4L60E, with a stock torque converter. NO mods whatsoever, except new, stock replacement internals...with 30,000 regularly serviced miles.

when in D not OD does the engine pull the rpms down when letting off the gas in second? eg engine breaking..
    No. If it's in drive and I let off the gas in 2nd, it will shift into 3rd/Drive like it's supposed to. No 2nd gear engine braking unless I manually pull it down into 2nd. Why would it drag the rpm's down in 2nd, if the shifter was in Drive?

I've never used Tow/Haul.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 12-01-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ok, post your stock file
    Stock, as I bought it, tune attached.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 01-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Go into your Force Motor Current Table and in the last row the one with the 100 in in put 0 in the whole column and in the 96 column just multiply by 1/2, try that and I'm sure that will fix your soft 1-2 shift, i have done many many trucks and if i dont change those 2 rows they always shift soft and sloppy no matter what i do, a couple more things, go on ebay and order a vette servo and install it, they are only like $15, and if you dont change the servo dont ever take all the torque reduction unless you want to burn your tranny, with servo installed you can take it all out, good luck and

Advanced Tuner
    I was tuning my brothers 2000 pickup last weekend I had the exact same issues.. It has stock everything, wth a 5.3, 4l60, and 3.73's. In the general upshift pressure table i can raise the numbers past 96, But nothing really effects the WOT shift 1>2. I took out about 60% torque management and lowered the shift times similiar to what rel3rd did. Any others have input on this? Just like his situation every other gear is good and even the 1>2 is good up until WOT.

Eric

Advanced Tuner
    Raining out, so I can't try out any settings yet.