Thread: 1999 Camaro Z28 Shifting Issues

Potential Tuner

1999 Camaro Z28 Shifting Issues

Hey guys, I don't post here alot, but I've got tons of good information from here over the past couple years. I've recently run into a problem with my 99 Z28. I took the stock 4L60e out because it lost the 3/4, I installed a rebuilt 4L60e that I bought from a guy over on LS1Tech along with a Performabuilt 3400 stall. My problem is that the transmission won't shift from 2nd to 3rd just like my stocker. It shifts 1-2 but if your at WOT in 2nd it goes and bounces off the limiter, at PT the rpms hangup around 3500rmps. I'm going to attach the tune, which I thought was stock, which isn't! And I wanted to know if someone could tell me if this tune could be stopping it from switching to 3rd gear. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Here's a copy of the tune, had to use my friends log-in.
    2004 Red GTO , belongs to my Daughter.
    Daddy Built and Tuned
    Becareful in having Fun

Potential Tuner
    I appologized, just saw that I posted in the wrong section, thanks for moving it...........

Potential Tuner
    Anybody?

For starters, why do you want to do a 2-3 shift at 90 mph. You shift time is over .500. Do a compare and look at the differences. I run the crap out of this car and I do not have any issues.

Take a look at the trans section of my tune, I have built 4L60e and a 3500 stall and it shifts great at WOT and part throttle.

Here is a Youtube video of the pass on that tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B3eticldVM
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Potential Tuner
    Thank you both for all your help. 69ltbird, I bought the car back in July and everything was fine, well so I though, I didn't make any modifications to it. I took it to the track twice and the car ran flawless, I lost the stock trans on the highway, the car just stopped pulling at PT and was revving to the moon. I got a rebuilt trans and a stall put that in and now I'm having similar, but not the same problem, at PT the rpms go to 3000 and hang there. I didn't modify the tune at all, it is as it was when I got the car. But I have pulled some stock tunes from the repository and I did a compare. I'm just trying to find out this in the tune and can it be fixed, if not I have to pull the trans out once again. :-(

Potential Tuner
    Also thanks for posting your trans tune, I'll take a look at it once my buddy get to work with the laptop.

Do you know what was done to the trans? With that stall, you will need to change things in the tune.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Potential Tuner
    Honestly, I know nothing about the trans, bought if from a guy on tech. He said he got so frustrated trying to tune the 4L60e that he went T56. Once I had the problems with the trans, I called and asked him had it been shifting funny and he was honest. He said he had the same problem, that it would bounce of the limiter in 2nd and wouldn't shift to 3rd and that he thought it was in the tuning. But the stall is a Performabuilt 3400 and that works great.