Thread: VVT code after rebuild

VVT code after rebuild

Has anyone ran into a dtc P0019 after engine rebuild? 2007 Pontiac G6, 3.6L VVT. Customer says he thinks it may have been there before the rebuild but not sure. Using a scan tool all cams are reporting the same, and correct for the desired position, it seems the MIL comes on after restart, so maybe a self test thing. Any ideas?
    Last edited by srcracing; 12-10-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: adding oem file
    George Landis
    SRCRACING.COM
    [email protected]
    tuner/racer/fabricator

Tuner
    May I ask.
    Was this a performance rebuild, or something else?
    I planned on give the heads a good valve job and throat port (dont need to port the actual ports they are cavernous as it is) and I was worried about reinstallation of the heads due to the VVT...

more info

Now code P0017 is on. We used the factory camshaft installing tools, cams should be right. Engine runs good, doesn't seem to have any running problems, horsepower seems good. Just not passing the factory timing test after start up.... Anyone have anyideas or test I can do.....
    George Landis
    SRCRACING.COM
    [email protected]
    tuner/racer/fabricator

Tuner
    Isn't that the code it throws when the timing sensor detects a stretched timing chain? I know the '07s used a different chain setup than the 08s and up. Did you realize there was a difference in the chains when you put them on?

vvt

We installed the new updated chains on rebuild, because of that problem. Over the holidays, we discovered we can do a crank relearn throughb HPtuners, going to proform that today, see what happens....
    George Landis
    SRCRACING.COM
    [email protected]
    tuner/racer/fabricator

Tuner
    Please let me know your status! Thanks. Just FYI, learn the motor because it is likely even with the new chains it'll stretch again.

IF/WHEN my chains stretch, I'm going to try and go with an aftermarket solution, or harden/cryo the chains. I don't understand GM can't make a chain. Their chains stretch on their trannys and everywhere else.

vvt learn

Well I tried the case learn, but it would complete it. I've tried a bunch of times, accelorating the engine at different speeds. VCM says not ready rpm to high or not ready tps high. I can't seem to get it to go. Help says to accelorate engine slowly from idle to fuel cut in 4 seconds, I've tried it taking as long as 30 seconds still no go. Going to try EFI live in a hour or so...
    George Landis
    SRCRACING.COM
    [email protected]
    tuner/racer/fabricator

Tuner
    That sucks. Not a good start.
    On a side note does the E67 look robust? Nice and alterable?