Thread: new exhaust... less performance??

new exhaust... less performance??

ok so many of you read about my exhaust purchase a few months ago, here is the sound clip.....

too loud for me, so i purchased an insert from jegs that slipped into my 3" pipe...

afterwords it sounded like this....

So the point of all this is, i did a 2-3 pull on the way home from work and it felt ok till 5k+..... is it possible? the screw thing is 11" and the center tube is 1" hollow, the screw part is 3"x2" so like a flat exhaust as it goes around.....

I'm about to go to a .88afr, and the pill mod to hold 22psi..... Don't want to if the exhaust is hurting me.....
    06 Cobalt LT pacesetter cat back, eibach lowering, AEM CAI, Zex 75 shot. 190whp

09 CObalt SS, Dejon spring mod, Hahn catted Down pipe, 3" cat back with a borla muffler. Still slow...

What is your question? Not sure I understand.

That looks like it would be a huge restriction.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I thought i wouldnt be, the gaps are large it just deflects the soundwaves I thought..... that spiral makes 3 wraps around the center pipe, it's never closer than 3" to the next lower screw thing.....

09 CObalt SS, Dejon spring mod, Hahn catted Down pipe, 3" cat back with a borla muffler. Still slow...

If you had a pic of the top of it, that would help. Either way, anything on a turbo car to increase back pressure isn't gonna help.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

like this no caps

Advanced Tuner
    the open pipe has to flow better than with all that extra metal jammed in it regardless of the spiral.

is that made by the same company that makes the tornado for intakes ?
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner
    I fitted a full exhaust that was fitted with 2 spiral augers to a toyota hilux/tucoma v6 felt better then stock but i did before and afters dyno runs with and without spirals they cost 15hp with them in but the noise level decreased 5db. There main idea is to direct the sound wave/pulse in to the glass packing
    Last edited by STATESMAN; 12-22-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Oh well there is no glass packing... Taking it off toady and doing a log to see if it makes a difference.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt09SS View Post
    Oh well there is no glass packing... Taking it off toady and doing a log to see if it makes a difference.
    It should make a huge difference. No baffles, louvers, deflectors or chambers on a turbo car. Strait through only.

inserts removed....

Here is my log for the inserts removed.....6.2 60-100 compared to 7.9 with.... sounds like i might be on to something.... Now what to do about the sound....

Look at 18:55 for the pull, still have that knock.....

Thoes inserts suck /thread....
    Last edited by Cobalt09SS; 12-22-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is my log for the inserts removed.....6.2 60-100 compared to 7.9 with.... sounds like i might be on to something.... Now what to do about the sound....

Give it a few days and see if the knock goes away. You are not running that much timing. 93 octane gasoline correct?

Advanced Tuner

You are seeing 7* of knock up top and you are not commanding that much timing. Try going back to your stock timing tables for now and see if the knock will go away. You need to add 0.04 to 0.06 in the 200% load column of your MAF correction table from 4000 rpms to 6300 rpms because the car is flowing more air than the MAF is seeing right now. You car is going into COT at the top of third. You need to set the high load areas of your COT table to 0.88 lambda.

Good help. thing is way better with that thing out. I'm goign back to basics of MAF correction and timing, In search of more power.

Term, I went to the MAF correction table and it only says 190? I can change it to 200. But then I put .04 in the block and clicked the add button. this is correct to what you said? what led you to know this was what i needed to do?

COT lambada changed... Again what on the graph told you this?
    Last edited by Cobalt09SS; 12-26-2009 at 02:21 PM.

In the STFT scan.

2008 HHR SS 5-speed

HP-Tuned